Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water being cut off

Options
  • 30-12-2010 2:02pm

Does anyone have any information on the water being cut off across Galway today? Is it from 4pm-9pm or from 9pm onwards or is Galway's water not going to be turned off at all?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Galway City will have sporadic localised outages with low pressure city-wide at night from 2100 to 0700.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

Ours was cut off in Highfield for the entire night and is still off now. The council are supposedly going around to vacant houses that have internal leaks around galway and switching them off one by one, this will hopefully help with the water crisis.

Oh and for those people who have no water the council will have tankers in millers lane for the west and doughuisce for the east

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Was wondering about this too. Mine was off from 8pm onwards (and possibly earlier) last night and was still not back this morning. It has come back on sometime in the past hour but pressure is pretty low. I live in Knocknacarra.

Oh and for those people who have no water the council will have tankers in millers lane for the west and doughuisce for the east

Deochuisce..the irony

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Anyone have any definite info on this situation? I can see thanks to boards that areas are affected and generally water supplies are low city wide, but times dates etc? Tis such a messy situation.

• Advertisement

See post#2
    I guess water outages will last until all major leaks are located and repaired which could take weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If there is an empty house near you that you suspect was not heated during the cold snap then check for water leaks inside and turn the water off at the stopcock along the road yourself if you suspect there is one, then notify the owners or keyholders.

Generally water comes out under a door after a while. You are not worsening the situation any by turning the water off and you will increase the availability of water for yourself and your neighbours.

The council will not be able deal with many of these leaks for weeks and are not responsible for internal leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

Just an update, the water tanker on the west of the city is a yellow Iggy Madden tanker that is parked at the bottle bank on the western distributer road. Whilst we were there someone told us that they were told that it could last up to 5 weeks :eek: I really don't expect it to be anywhere near that long but with a coldsnap expected again next week we could be filling bottles from the tanker for a while yet. Oh and Spongebob thats a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere but there as so many water threads.
    Anyone know where is the nearest water-tanker to the city centre? I dont need it for drinking, just toilet and washing.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

When did people living in Doughuisce start calling it do-uisce? Are they trying to be posh? I heard it for the first time last week, sounded weird!

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    Galway City will have sporadic localised outages with low pressure city-wide at night from 2100 to 0700.
    snubbleste wrote: »
    See post#2
    I guess water outages will last until all major leaks are located and repaired which could take weeks.

Yeah but is that from today/tomorrow/for the past week?
    We have had no water today from about 11.30am and intermittent dribbles yesterday.
    Just annoying how there is no definitive answer and info like there was pre-christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Yeah but is that from today/tomorrow/for the past week?
    We have had no water today from about 11.30am and intermittent dribbles yesterday.
    Just annoying how there is no definitive answer and info like there was pre-christmas

We've been the same.

I thought we had gotten lucky and avoided it.

Was down and the tanker awhile ago and some people were saying that people towards the Roscam end of the Doughiska Rd had their water back.

We've been the same.

I thought we had gotten lucky and avoided it.

Was down and the tanker awhile ago and some people were saying that people towards the Roscam end of the Doughiska Rd had their water back.

Fingers crossed!

Fingers crossed!

Still none this morning. I went to brush my teeth and some came out and I was like YIPPEE and then, splush, gone.

Still none this morning. I went to brush my teeth and some came out and I was like YIPPEE and then, splush, gone.

None here either. Really annoying :(

None here either. Really annoying :(

I forgot to ask you. Do you have a car? Do you need a lift down to the tanker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭philbo

We've not had anything at all for 5 days. Our tank in the attic totally emptied out, been catching the rain water off the drains of the house to keep something in the system to stop it all exploding.

We live on a hill outside the city limits, so there's never enough pressure to make it up to us. Everytime it gets turned on, people lower down get it first and seem to just start filling up bottles/containers, which leaves barely a dribble getting as far as us. The stench in the house is getting absolutely rank!

My water seems to be back in Ballybrit now.

I can hear the glorious sound of the toilet cistern filling up.

Word is that emergency callout plumbers are charging up to €300 ( cash no receipt) in Galway and only cutting off the water and then legging it, pricks won't even drain the tank :(

Cut your own water off instead and then try to find a proper plumber not these chancers.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Word is that emergency callout plumbers are charging up to €300 ( cash no receipt) in Galway and only cutting off the water and then legging it, pricks won't even drain the tank :(

Cut your own water off instead and then try to find a proper plumber not these chancers.

WTF!

That's outrageous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,495 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Anyone who pays a plumber €300 to cut off water is a fool tbh.

If they cannot do it themsleves then all the alternatives will cost more than €300, eg one wrecked sofa or telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Guys, if anybody does need a reasonable plumber, please feel free to pm me for the details of the man I use. He's very reasonable, and very good. All I ask is that you pay him promptly as I don't want to be recommending him to people unprepared to pay him, as that wouldn't be fair, and he is so good, that he really doesn't deserve that.

Don't expect a reasonable plumber to fix anything this week, they are just isolating and cutting off leaks to prevent further damage and then going onto the next urgent job which is more of same.

It will be many months before many of these leaks are fully fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Don't expect a reasonable plumber to fix anything this week, they are just isolating and cutting off leaks to prevent further damage and then going onto the next urgent job which is more of same.

Sorry now, but my reasonable plumber not only isolated and cut off the leak in the burst pipe in my house on Stephen's day, but also replaced the offending length of pipe, checked the rest of the system, drained the tank, and sorted out the cold feed issues elsewhere in the house. Just because you're not paying big money to somebody, doesn't mean that they are not going to do a proper job, or that they will just do a temporary job. I've been using the same plumber for over 6 years now, and I stand fully by his work, and his reliability.

Sorry now, but my reasonable plumber also replaced the offending length of pipe, checked the rest of the system, drained the tank, and sorted out the cold feed issues elsewhere in the house.
    Thats a great service.

My point is nevertheless that reasonable _today_ means preventing further avoidable damage first and foremost. There aren't enough plumbers in Ireland to deal with the backlog right now.

I will be wandering over to the neighbour later to see if we can get part of his water system back up and running ...not a decent plumber to be found where we are until after the weekend.

I forgot to ask you. Do you have a car? Do you need a lift down to the tanker?

Cheers, that is very kind, but as you know, it's back. yahoo!! So happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Word is that emergency callout plumbers are charging up to €300 ( cash no receipt) in Galway

Im calling bullsh!t. I know seven Galway plumbers, and met five of them for pints over the past week. Crazy busy with emergency callouts. None of them mentioned anything like this going on, and they're all very reputable, honest guys.

they're all very reputable, honest guys.

....that aren't charging a fortune.

That's not to say there isn't people out there taking full advantage of the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

....that aren't charging a fortune.

That's not to say there isn't people out there taking full advantage of the situation.

what i meant was, you always hear about the cowboys from the good guys. Always.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement