Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alububble??

• 30-12-2010 2:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭

I have standard fibreglass insulation on the walls of each room (dormer bungalow) upsatirs. So i had a look In my attic (crawl space) space behind these insulated walls last week during the big freeze and i was surprised to see that the insulation had sagged or was not fitting snug against the plaster board as it had been when i put it there 10 years ago. So i was thinking of putting a layer of alububble behind the insulation to keep it tight against the plaster board, Is this a waste of money? Also the house is timber frame construction with 6 inches of insulation (fibreglass) on external walls, Could this insulation also have sagged leaving and exposed area for heat escaping into the cavity, Should i now insulate the cavity? The reason i ask these questions is that the house was very cold during big freeze and it took alot of kerosene to heat the house.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

strandsman wrote: »
    I have standard fibreglass insulation on the walls of each room (dormer bungalow) upsatirs. So i had a look In my attic (crawl space) space behind these insulated walls last week during the big freeze and i was surprised to see that the insulation had sagged or was not fitting snug against the plaster board as it had been when i put it there 10 years ago. So i was thinking of putting a layer of alububble behind the insulation to keep it tight against the plaster board, Is this a waste of money? Also the house is timber frame construction with 6 inches of insulation (fibreglass) on external walls, Could this insulation also have sagged leaving and exposed area for heat escaping into the cavity, Should i now insulate the cavity? The reason i ask these questions is that the house was very cold during big freeze and it took alot of kerosene to heat the house.
    has anybody heard of Alububble???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

strandsman wrote: »
    has anybody heard of Alububble???

Is this the silver bubble wrap they are selling in Atlantic? I wouldn't bother with it to be honest. Get a roll of chicken wire and a staple gun, this should keep the existing insulation in place. Might be worth also having a new roll of insulation, so you can top it up in places if required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

I was thinking of using an additional layer of insulation hence alububble question or is there any other product out there? bearing in mind that putting insulated slabs there is not an option as acess is limited

Advertisement