Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Station Roundabout Lanes, Letterkenny

Options
  • 30-12-2010 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the lanes approaching the station roundabout from the De Valera/Gortlee direction since they re-painted the roads and directions.

I assumed the left lane is for tesco, derry, lifford, ballybofey while the right lane is for pearse road and port road/main street.

A lot of people have told me it has changed in a real matter of fact manner and I've seen a lot of near accidents over the confusion at the roundabout. Anyone share some light on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

has been talked about on here before.... http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056092731&page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Thanks, the folks on that thread think it has changed but i'm not sure it has!. the left hand lane has markings for N13, N14, N15. Which is out the port road. The right hand lane is town centre and R250 which is out newmills. As far as I know the R250 starts on the pearse road, which would make it the right lane! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Thanks, the folks on that thread think it has changed but i'm not sure it has!. the left hand lane has markings for N13, N14, N15. Which is out the port road. The right hand lane is town centre and R250 which is out newmills. As far as I know the R250 starts on the pearse road, which would make it the right lane! :confused:

I would agree with you about the R250 starting on the Pearse Road.
    On Google Maps, both the Port Road & The Pearse Road are called the R250!
    However, on Garmin Sat Nav maps, the R250 starts at Gleneeny House and continues along Pearse Road.

You are also correct that the R250 is actually the road out of Letterkenny, towards Newmills, so in relation to the round-about markings, it seems that the left lane is for Tesco, and the road past the LYIT; the right hand lane is for the R250 (Pearse Road) and the Town Centre, as indicated by the lane markings.

Therefore, nothing has actually changed, and it would be completely daft to have the left lane for three busy exists in this situation.

Hope that helps - a bit! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

mrmac wrote: »
    I would agree with you about the R250 starting on the Pearse Road.
    On Google Maps, both the Port Road & The Pearse Road are called the R250!
    However, on Garmin Sat Nav maps, the R250 starts at Gleneeny House and continues along Pearse Road.

You are also correct that the R250 is actually the road out of Letterkenny, towards Newmills, so in relation to the round-about markings, it seems that the left lane is for Tesco, and the road past the LYIT; the right hand lane is for the R250 (Pearse Road) and the Town Centre, as indicated by the lane markings.

Therefore, nothing has actually changed, and it would be completely daft to have the left lane for three busy exists in this situation.

Hope that helps - a bit! :confused:
    Yeah but are you sure the road markings are actually indicating this? I'm pretty sure that the right hand lane has a right arrow only with 'Town Centre' text beside it and the left hand lane has left arrow + straight ahead arrow with 3 roads indicated on it.

I'm fairly sure it looks like this since been recently repainted and I think this is what is causing the confusion and I know the right hand lane is a lot more empty recently. I'm open to correction on the new road markings though. If someone had a pic it would be great.

The right hand lane definitely says R250 with town centre underneath it, which I think indicates the two exits. i'm really surprised there hasn't been an accident here yet, it's one of the busiest roundabouts in the town!

This is helped by the fact that none of the major roads marked on the left hand land are in the pearse road direction, unless you take the link road, but that wouldn't make sense.

• Advertisement

Beanstalk wrote: »
    The right hand lane definitely says R250 with town centre underneath it, which I think indicates the two exits. i'm really surprised there hasn't been an accident here yet, it's one of the busiest roundabouts in the town!
    You are most likely correct here. Cheers for pointing that out. I think when people see "Town Centre" they might be missing R250. Also I think because the lane has a right arrow only people automatically think it is one exit. Maybe it would make more sense if arrows were painted as <^ for left lane and ^> for right hand lane. I don't know really but I do know there was no confusion before these markings were painted.

Beanstalk is correct, the right hand lane has markings for both R250 & Town Centre.
    It also has an arrow indicating >.

Also, it should be noted, that with the slight angle of the road coming into this round-about, you are actually turning > to use the 3rd exist onto Pearse Road!?

I do agree that the new road markings, and the lack of better road signs, have made this a very dangerous location. You need to have the neck of an owl to watch for trouble!! :D

... the left hand lane has left arrow + straight ahead arrow with 3 roads indicated on it.

Yep, the left hand lane does have three roads indicated on it, but they are all out the exist 2 direction.

Also, it should be noted, that with the slight angle of the road coming into this round-about, you are actually turning > to use the 3rd exist onto Pearse Road!?
    Yeah your right I just think that the one right > can confuse some people. I'm surprised there hasn't been more accidents on this road also.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

It doesn't matter how well marked roundabouts are in this country, the level of stupidity in a lot of drivers seems to increase dramatically when faced with one.

• Advertisement

I'd swear it wasn't there yesterday, but there is a new sign post (at exist 2) pointing towards exist 3, saying "Pearse Road R250"!!!

The sign looks like it's made from plastic, but at least it may help with some peoples confusion.

(TBH it may not be plastic; I'll have a better look later.)

So that confirms it:

Left Lane = Exist 1 (Tesco), Exist 2 (N13, N14, N15)
    Right Lane = Exist 3 (R250 Pearse Road), Exist 4 (Main Street, Town Centre).

Hallelujah, spread the word!

:)

hah brilliant! can't believe it took them too months to do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Siobhan1

So that confirms it:

Ok am a bit confused now, is this the way it always was, as in before the new signage?

Yep, that's the same designation as it always was, when coming from Oatfields.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭DMG_49

I'd swear it wasn't there yesterday, but there is a new sign post (at exist 2) pointing towards exist 3, saying "Pearse Road R250"!!!

The sign looks like it's made from plastic, but at least it may help with some peoples confusion.

(TBH it may not be plastic; I'll have a better look later.)

So that confirms it:

Hallelujah, spread the word!

Is it not....
    Left Lane = (Tesco- they don't count that as an exit), Exist 1 (N13, N14, N15), Exist 2 (R250 Pearse Road)
    Right Lane = Exist 3 (Main Street, Town Centre).

D'oh! :rolleyes:

Sorry DMG_49, but someone painted a great big sign on the road to indicate otherwise. lol

It's great that this thread is here, as it shows what confusion the new signs made!

I'll have to get down there later, and take a few pics, as this is too serious to be this big a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

feck it can you all not just drive up the middle off the white line till they sort it out.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

D'oh! :rolleyes:

Sorry DMG_49, but someone painted a great big sign on the road to indicate otherwise. lol

It's great that this thread is here, as it shows what confusion the new signs made!

I'll have to get down there later, and take a few pics, as this is too serious to be this big a mess.

Or just do what they do fairly frequently at manor roundabout and drive through the middle of the thing, there is no lane indicated for going over the thing :D

Picture 1 - Lane Markings (one outside Oatfields & again just before traffic lights).

picture.php?albumid=1517&pictureid=8314

Picture 2 - Recent signpost, on island at exist 2.

picture.php?albumid=1517&pictureid=8312

Picture 3 - New sign, showing TINY R250! This is not a plastic sign, as first thought, but a proper metal one.

picture.php?albumid=1517&pictureid=8313

So the lane designations have not changed.

Left lane = Tesco & Port Road.
    Right lane = Pearse Road (R250) & Main Street (Town Centre).

Please spread the word about this round-about, as it's pure mental atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭DMG_49

So the arrow thats on the road markings was a mistake?

• Advertisement

Not really.
    There is a subtle bend as this road approaches the round-about, so once you get to the white line (to stop), you do actually turn right to exist onto Pearse Road.

It's still a mess, but this round-about has been evolving for the last 20 years, and I don't think it's finished yet!

There was a time, when traffic coming in from Derry, flowed straight up the Main Street, as the road was a lot closer to Gleneany House, and the round-about was a lot further to the right! Loads of accidents then, as people didn't realise they where even entering a round-about! I should know, I got my aul man's car wrote off this way - oh, how he laughed!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

DMG_49 wrote: »
    So the arrow thats on the road markings was a mistake?

I must double check when in Letterkenny tomorrow, but with the slight curve as you approach the roundabout are you not going straight through when driving on out past Tobin's? Therefore the left and straight arrow would be technically right correct :rolleyes:. This would also make the right arrow for Pearse Road and Town Centre correct!

I must double check when in Letterkenny tomorrow, but with the slight curve as you approach the roundabout are you not going straight through when driving on out past Tobin's? Therefore the left and straight arrow would be technically right correct :rolleyes:. This would also make the right arrow for Pearse Road and Town Centre correct!

Yep.
    Head wrecker ain't it! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Basically, did the tarmac need signage on it?

Standard roundabout rules apply it would seem - left lane for first and second exits, right lane for 3rd or 4th, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

agree with byte tarmac signs are often not seen in traffic.

roundabouts would be far safer if nationally standardised.

that way strangers have no trouble .

the way it is you have to be local to feel safe (though not in this case).

typical NRA balls-up really.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

byte wrote: »
    Basically, did the tarmac need signage on it?

Standard roundabout rules apply it would seem - left lane for first and second exits, right lane for 3rd or 4th, etc.

Thats not the standard round about rules anymore. It was the way i was taught when learing to drive and always seemed a nice simple way to know what lane to be in.

But in the revised Rules of the road the refference to the the exit number has been removed and replaces with more or less if you are turning right get in the right lane and if you are turning left or going straigh through you get in the left lane, thats grand when it a nice simple round about with 4 exits at 12,3,6 and 9 o'clock but there is very few of them round about about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Thats not the standard round about rules anymore. It was the way i was taught when learing to drive and always seemed a nice simple way to know what lane to be in.

But in the revised Rules of the road the refference to the the exit number has been removed and replaces with more or less if you are turning right get in the right lane and if you are turning left or going straigh through you get in the left lane, thats grand when it a nice simple round about with 4 exits at 12,3,6 and 9 o'clock but there is very few of them round about about the place.

Exits 1 and 2 on a major roundabout, no matter where they are on the clock face, are left hand lane approach (unless signs and markings tell otherwise). Not read this anywhere recently, but was told so by the instructor during the practicals for my Advanced Driving Test. The roundabout being discussed was the Manor Roundabout when approaching from Derry.

This theory leads me to approach the Station Roundabout from Oatfields in the right lane if taking exits 3 or 4. I treat going over Pearse Rd as being past 12 O'Clock, this combined with the 3rd exit rule makes the current markings correct imo e.g. when entering the roundabout, out past Tobin's is 2nd exit plus it is straight through the roundabout, due to the curve on appoach; plus the Pearse Rd, Main St and Regional Road are past 12 O'Clock and are therefore right turns.

Hell I may be wrong but that's my reading of it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

Exits 1 and 2 on a major roundabout, no matter where they are on the clock face, are left hand lane approach (unless signs and markings tell otherwise). Not read this anywhere recently, but was told so by the instructor during the practicals for my Advanced Driving Test. The roundabout being discussed was the Manor Roundabout when approaching from Derry.

This theory leads me to approach the Station Roundabout from Oatfields in the right lane if taking exits 3 or 4. I treat going over Pearse Rd as being past 12 O'Clock, this combined with the 3rd exit rule makes the current markings correct imo e.g. when entering the roundabout, out past Tobin's is 2nd exit plus it is straight through the roundabout, due to the curve on appoach; plus the Pearse Rd, Main St and Regional Road are past 12 O'Clock and are therefore right turns.

Hell I may be wrong but that's my reading of it. :D

Yip thats the way i was taught too, counting exits and with no reference to their clock position.
    This was back in the day when these were the rules of the road for a round about:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...7&postcount=76

but now the revised rules of the road do not make it that clear in reference to the exit numbers:
    http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/pdf-downloads/english/rules-of-the-road%20eng.pdf
    (Page 109 - 111)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

on page 108

"Unless road signs or road markings indicate otherwise......."

crazy there is no cast in stone standard rule.

curious to know where tom tom or garmin would put you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

As I approached this roundabout yesterday, I was more than confused, my understanding of the arrows were that the right lane was for the town centre and the left lane for all other routes. What a complete cock-up!

Advertisement