Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Station Roundabout Lanes, Letterkenny

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I see that they are out today again burning odd the old markings on the approach to the roundabout (from oatfield side), i don't know if / what they are replacing them with but they were burning them off anyways :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

all back the old way now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Registered just to post this so pay attention.

Use.

Your.

Indicators.

I visit Letterkenny regularly and I would estimate only 5-10% use their indicators at all when confronted with a roundabout. Being in the wrong lane happens, it's not a big deal, but one of the reasons why traffic around LK is a disaster is that absolutely no one uses their indicators when exiting the roundabout.

The indicators aren't just for the benefit of the car behind you, it's also for the benefit of the car facing you entering the roundabout at the exit you're taking.

At smaller roundabouts with one lane you can't judge if someone is continuing around or exiting unless they explicitly indicate. I've sat many a time coming from the Pearse Rd with drivers unable to move onto the roundabout simply because those exiting have not indicated and they miss their chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

GetWithIt wrote: »

Use.

Your.

Indicators.

I visit Letterkenny regularly and I would estimate only 5-10% use their indicators at all when confronted with a roundabout. Being in the wrong lane happens, it's not a big deal, but one of the reasons why traffic around LK is a disaster is that absolutely no one uses their indicators when exiting the roundabout.

The indicators aren't just for the benefit of the car behind you, it's also for the benefit of the car facing you entering the roundabout at the exit you're taking.

At smaller roundabouts with one lane you can't judge if someone is continuing around or exiting unless they explicitly indicate. I've sat many a time coming from the Pearse Rd with drivers unable to move onto the roundabout simply because those exiting have not indicated and they miss their chance.
    Well said.

I have often wondered what is the usual length of time from when people pass their driving test (where they have to indicate) to when they decide indicators are an optional extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I see there is an article in todays Donegal News about this, the bit at the end caught my attention, where it claimed that they had numerous "callers" into their office, strangely almost all of the "callers" have said things very similar to what has been said on here, one of the "callers" had pretty much word for word what mrmac had said at the beginning of one of his posts (http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69791094&postcount=4) which is strange because it goes into great detail about sat-nav's ect....

Coincidence? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Copy cats! :D

Poor use of indicators is not reserved for Donegal drivers. Having travelled up and down to Kildare for the best part of 5 years, I can safetly confirm that this diabolical disability is virtually nation-wide.

Also, anyone notice how the more expensive vehicles suffer badly from premature indicator bulb failure???

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I see there is an article in todays Donegal News about this, the bit at the end caught my attention, where it claimed that they had numerous "callers" into their office, strangely almost all of the "callers" have said things very similar to what has been said on here, one of the "callers" had pretty much word for word what mrmac had said at the beginning of one of his posts (http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69791094&postcount=4) which is strange because it goes into great detail about sat-nav's ect....

i think its even stranger that one day after the thread started the sign was put up, then the markings were burned off, now its in the democrat! power to the boarders! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Also regarding indicators, there is a serious lack of general indicating when driving coming from the station roundabout towards oatfield and turning up de valera!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

what i found interesting too was that Inspector O'Donnell was quoted as saying "it clearly states in the rules of the road to use the left lane for the first two exits and the right lane for the others", he must be looking at the old rules of the road then (where it does clearly state this) and not the revised rules of the road (where it does not).

Just got the DP & DN, and what a flaming cheek that reporter has!
    I really don't mind the fact that he's clearly lifted posts from this thread, but not to mention the fact that he's skimmed it from boards.ie is a bit naughty! :(

So, Mr. You-Know-Who-You-Are, do not do that again, unless you mention it was gathered from boards.ie.

FYI - here's a before & after shot of the road markings!

picture.php?albumid=1517&pictureid=8314

picture.php?albumid=1517&pictureid=8406

Why they couldn't have done that in the beginning .... ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Excellent Work Mr Mac.

When you at it you don't fancy taking your camera out to the polestar roundabout, approaching from Kelly's toyota to give some very wise people a master class what approach lanes to be in when entering this roundabout??:rolleyes:

The lack of use of indication is also coupled by A1 Ignorance, especially by some brianiacs 'slip in' in front of you when you exit off the port road.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Was on that wee stretch of road earlier today and noticed the 2 "straight on" arrows. Am I missing something or should those only be used where you have a double lane off the exit point?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ah sure this is old news (pardon the pun). Not the first time that the DN have used material posted her as part of their "exclusives"

Are you still reading donegalboy? Good to see you're still earning a crust with a little help from Boards.ie ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭nmg_ire

Well bloody said

GetWithIt wrote: »

Use.

Your.

Indicators.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Council paints over Station Roundabout confusion

Posted: 8/Jan 10:30
    Last Updated: 8/Jan 10:32
    Donegal County Council has moved to address confusion about how traffic should approach the Station Roundabout in Letterkenny from the Ramelton Road and Gortlee.
    In November, new road markings were painted which seemed to suggest that only traffic turning into the town centre should take the right hand lane, and all other traffic, including traffic for Pearse Road should stay on the left.
    The confusion this caused led to the prospect of severe tailbacks on the left hand side, and also the possibility of collisions as people approached Pearse Road from two lanes.
    Now, new markings make it clear that Pearse Road traffic still takes the right hand lane, a continuation of how the junction has always operated.
    Cllr Jimmy Harte, who lives in the Gortlee area, says the confusion needed to be addressed……..

http://www.highlandradio.com/2011/01/08/council-paints-over-station-roundabout-confusion/

Yeah, heard that on the radio this morning, just had to chuckle sarcastically!

/btw - only heard 5 minutes of highland, as it's on the alarm clock, and that's only because of the weather - honest! :D

Advertisement