Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else ever realise they're a snob???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

curlzy wrote: »
    Ok,

So I was just in the Square in Tallaght.

Yeah, I'm a bit of a snob - I wouldn't go near The Square in Tallaght

the fact that im a southsider makes me a snob

Did they not tell you that Tallaght & Clondalkin are excluded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

daithi2011 wrote: »
    Be careful. They are everywhere. They may be sitting beside you at work :)
    I work with one of them. They dont even know that we all read what they are wasting their time on all day when they should be working :)
    Ive met a few at boards beers.
    I even ended up sitting beside one in stephens green on a bench. We could tell they were a mod because they were talking about it to their friend.
    Scary.
    I might go to boards beers. Where is it on? Who would i meet at it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Did they not tell you that Tallaght & Clondalkin are excluded?

did you not detect the saracasm and read on about how i hate snobs

did you not detect the saracasm and read on about how i hate snobs

No, I missed all that. Thanks for pointing it out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'm definitely not a snob and I think everyone would agree with me on that. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

I'm a bit of a reverse snob sometimes. If I see some white, middle-class guy in an Abercrombie t-shirt I often think "wanker" before getting to know him.

hmm....hold on..... I think I remember you! :mad:

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gunners1990

i hate snobs,think there better than every1 else when they dont no them,there always p**sys iswell,they would run a mile if someone wearing trackie bottoms and air max even looked at them,makes me laugh haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

furiousox wrote: »
    hmm....hold on..... I think I remember you! :mad:

Maybe; if the person you saw was eating out of a bin and shaking his first impotently at a rich it was probably me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

there is a frequent air of snobbery on boards i feel...there is a frequent air of snobbery in ireland in general... too many people think they can judge the teenager who wears adidas tracksuit bottoms for example (but cantubury ones are acceptable what the f*ck) get over yourselves... if someone does you no harm and you dont witness them doing anything untoward you have no right to label them scumbags! if you are intimidated by someone just by the way they look not by the way they look at you- you are a p*ssy!
    its quite annoying...

Piriz wrote: »
    there is a frequent air of snobbery on boards i feel...there is a frequent air of snobbery in ireland in general... too many people think they can judge the teenager who wears adidas tracksuit bottoms for example (but cantubury ones are acceptable what the f*ck) get over yourselves... if someone does you no harm and you dont witness them doing anything untoward you have no right to label them scumbags! if you are intimidated by someone just by the way they look not by the way they look at you- you are a p*ssy!
    its quite annoying...
    :rolleyes:

Yeah, because there is a good chance of being mugged by someone wearing canturbury tracksuit bottoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

OisinT wrote: »

Yeah, because there is a good chance of being mugged by someone wearing canturbury tracksuit bottoms.

Their fathers, however, have just mugged me and the rest of the country for millions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

I'm a culchie so I can't be a snob.

Ye c*nts.

Legend:D

its funny how you must fear the risk of being mugged.. i never do! i'd say it comes down to our attitudes.

i win! :D

stovelid wrote: »
    Their fathers, however, have just mugged me and the rest of the country for millions.
    Change the record lol.

its funny how you must fear the risk of being mugged.. i never do! i'd say it comes down to our attitudes.

I don't fear it at all... just saying that your chances of being mugged by someone in an adidas tracksuit is much higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

I think Brendan Behan said once that if there were only three irish men left in the world, two of them would be away in a corner giving out about the other fella:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

there is a frequent air of snobbery on boards i feel..QUOTE]

yes like the guy earlier having a go at me over being from tallaght,i really hate the way people think that if you are from tallaght that you are a scumbag/knacker,most people wouldnt bother to find out that the bad rep tallaght has stems from the 80s and 90s and mostly from west tallaght estates(im not saying all the bad things in tallaght happen in the west tallaght estates as i do know some ****heads my way)there are ****heads everywhere i know from experience working in foxrock and all the little daddys boys hassling people and starting fights in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I prefer the word "meritocrat": I try to judge people by their actions. Of course we respond to appearances, as the OP did: if you see a rat coming towards you and run away, are you being too hard on rats? It's not a yes/no question: skangers are statistically more likely to behave like, well, skangers. We associate the skanger appearance with skanger behaviour, based on experience.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

I prefer the word "meerkat"....

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I dress like a skanger whenever I'm blowing €10,000 on designer gear on Grafton St. Helps in not getting mugged on the way back to my credit card fuelled pad in D4 - am I a reverse snob?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

No, I missed all that. Thanks for pointing it out though.

Dude, wtf is going on with your sig?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I look down on people who look down at others!!!!!

oh wait

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

28kmu04.jpg

knird evol wrote: »
    28kmu04.jpg

c'mon explain what you think of these lads in the photo...

On a serious note I'm definitely a bit of a snob and I'm sure people who know me wouldn't disagree.

I like nice things and generalise occasionally, but I don't think I look down on people.
    I may see a person and think they're a knacker, but if they ended up not being one or even if they were one and were a nice person I'd be the first person to admit I was wrong.

Not to mention of all the people I know who would call me a "snob" I'm the only one who bought Olive Trees and Cooking Stoves this Christmas via Trócaire.

So idk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

On a serious note I'm definitely a bit of a snob and I'm sure people who know me wouldn't disagree.

I like nice things and generalise occasionally, but I don't think I look down on people.
    I may see a person and think they're a knacker, but if they ended up not being one or even if they were one and were a nice person I'd be the first person to admit I was wrong.

Not to mention of all the people I know who would call me a "snob" I'm the only one who bought Olive Trees and Cooking Stoves this Christmas via Trócaire.

So idk.
    Nearly everyone I have ever encountered in the legal profession has been a snob tbf, only 1 exception. In good company! :)

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Nearly everyone I have ever encountered in the legal profession has been a snob tbf, only 1 exception. In good company! :)
    I was a snob well before I started in the legal profession tbf :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I definitely judge scobies as I walk bye them, I even have them categorised. Sometimes I steal their walk to make funnies for my friends.

Haha!

Personally I think everyone looks down on someone, tis only natural.

RichieC wrote: »
    I definitely judge scobies as I walk bye them, I even have them categorised. Sometimes I steal their walk to make funnies for my friends.
    :eek: a braver man than I!

I would never mock a knacker! lol

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

c'mon explain what you think of these lads in the photo...

Not sure if I can judge people from a picture, but they're having a laugh. The picture is funny because of the very serious pro choice people compared to them.

Get a knife in the neck when he comes back with his mates

They feed on your fear, I learned that a long time ago. but heh... I mock their walk when they're gone or I'm in a fancy bar that wont let them in :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Mock them to their faces, theres no point in takin a snobby better than you attitude towards others unless you activley lord it over them and remind them constantly of how much Better than them you are, this cann be done by mocking theirappearance mannerisims or accents, or by accentuating your More Cultured mannerisims to best highlight the juxtaposition between them "the Scum" and you "The Aristocrat"

Mock them to their faces, theres no point in takin a snobby better than you attitude towards others unless you activley lord it over them and remind them constantly of how much Better than them you are, this cann be done by mocking theirappearance mannerisims or accents, or by accentuating your More Cultured mannerisims to best highlight the juxtaposition between them "the Scum" and you "The Aristocrat"

Ah there is, what's the point in being better and more cultured if you're picking knives out of your face?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Why not? I would get nervous about it because I've actually been jumped and had the sh*t kicked out of me at random before so I know it happens. And it happens in some areas more than others, and with some demographics more than others. If thinking that makes me a snob then virtually everyone in Ireland is a snob, including those in working class areas, and frankly anyone who isn't a snob is a deluded fool.
    yes like the guy earlier having a go at me over being from tallaght,i really hate the way people think that if you are from tallaght that you are a scumbag/knacker,most people wouldnt bother to find out that the bad rep tallaght has stems from the 80s and 90s and mostly from west tallaght estates(im not saying all the bad things in tallaght happen in the west tallaght estates as i do know some ****heads my way)there are ****heads everywhere i know from experience working in foxrock and all the little daddys boys hassling people and starting fights in town.
    I'm from Tallaght myself. The flip side is that when people hear you're from Tallaght and not on heroin they think you've really achieved something :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 whippetmania

I regularly have a tommy tank into a condom. Does that make me a snob?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I do judge teenagers that wear hoodies and tracksuits tucked into their socks. In my defense they've caused me a lot of problems. I used to have long hair and every time I went anywhere I would hear some tracksuit wearing scumbag shouting at me to get a haircut or asking if I was a man or a woman, sometimes followed by them throwing something at me. I would also see them hanging around the river terrorising the swans by throwing cans and stones at them.

I tend to think that teenagers in tracksuits may or not be scumbags, but when the tracksuit is tucked into their socks they more than likely are scumbags.

I do judge teenagers that wear hoodies and tracksuits tucked into their socks. In my defense they've caused me a lot of problems. I used to have long hair and every time I went anywhere I would hear some tracksuit wearing scumbag shouting at me to get a haircut or asking if I was a man or a woman, sometimes followed by them throwing something at me. I would also see them hanging around the river terrorising the swans by throwing cans and stones at them.

I tend to think that teenagers in tracksuits may or not be scumbags, but when the tracksuit is tucked into their socks they more than likely are scumbags.

I've always had long hair meself and have gotten **** like that, actually... last time I got **** like that it was from some yob in a scarf and an oul ones haircut... it's funnier from the scobies, to be honest.

• Advertisement

the bad rep tallaght has stems from the 80s and 90s

That's funny, because I went to a wrestling show in the Basketball Arena in 2006 and there was a brick on top of the roof of my car when I left, with a dent underneath.

That's never happened me before anywhere. Nothing even similar has ever happened to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭daithi2011

That's funny, because I went to a wrestling show in the Basketball Arena in 2006 and there was a brick on top of the roof of my car when I left, with a dent underneath.

That's never happened me before anywhere. Nothing even similar has ever happened to me.

And I defy anyone who thinks Tallaght is not a cesspit to go out there about 10 pm tonight and have a good walk alone around all the estates. Bring your rolex and a brief case for the craic too.
    If you make it back tomorrow, let us all know what Tallaght is like these days.

And I defy anyone who thinks Tallaght is not a cesspit to go out there about 10 pm tonight and have a good walk alone around all the estates. Bring your rolex and a brief case for the craic too.
    Exactly. Nothing's changed out there based on my experience. I'm from Clontarf, and I grew up (in the 80's and 90's) always hearing what a sh*thole Tallaght was. It was always used as the measuring stick for how much of a knacker someone was acting between me & my mates - e.g. "aww you knacker - they wouldn't even do that in Tallaght!".
    Then the first (and only) time I ever go out there in 2006 someone puts a dent in the roof of my car. What am I supposed to think after that, tallaghtmick? It lived up to it's stereotype 100%.
    People's opinions are formed based on experiences & stereotypes. And most stereotypes stem from experiences of other people in the first place.

It'd take you a long time to walk around all the estates in Tallaght tbf :rolleyes:

Tell you what, if you don't think Ireland/Europe is just one big sh*thole why don't you walk around all the estates there and let us know how you get on. Believe it or not Tallaght is a big place and like all big places you get good and bad.

Now there are areas where Tallaght is still very bad but tallaghtmick is right in that it stems from the 80s and 90s; that's when these estates got to be the way they are, the problem is that even throughout the boom they never improved because they never really got the benefits of the Celtic Tiger. But other parts have improved a lot.
    Exactly. Nothing's changed out there based on my experience. I'm from Clontarf, and I grew up (in the 80's and 90's) always hearing what a sh*thole Tallaght was. It was always used as the measuring stick for how much of a knacker someone was acting between me & my mates - e.g. "aww you knacker - they wouldn't even do that in Tallaght!".
    Yeah... carry on like that and you'll end up with a brick in your car alright. Sounds like karma more than anything else. And how the hell can you say nothing's changed based on your experience when you've only been there once? :confused:

You're from Clontarf, that's near Fairview Park right? I might drop by there next time I want to be stabbed or kicked to death. Stones and glass houses come to mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

It's not so much that i'm a snob, just more of a sarcastic and argumentative príck a lot of the time but very quiet/nice other times.:)

Yeah... carry on like that and you'll end up with a brick in your car alright. Sounds like karma more than anything else.
    No such thing - sorry to break it to you. lol - you think it was "karma" as oppossed to a bunch of little scrotes acting like scumbags in a carpark?
    And how the hell can you say nothing's changed based on your experience when you've only been there once? :confused:

Nothing's changed based on what I'd originally heard about the place growing up, and then when I went there it was exactly how I'd imagined. Throughout the 80s and 90s I'd heard it was a sh*thole - tallaghtmick agrees, as do you - then I went there in 2006 and my car got bricked while I was parked. I didn't speak to anyone on my visit - I didn't have a run-in with anyone - I didn't interact with anyone - and I didn't attract any unwanted attention. I parked my car for 3hrs in the Basketball Arena carpark, came back out afterwards and there was a brick on the roof with a dent underneath it. So I ask you this - what else am I supposed to think about Tallaght? 1 visit - 1 vandalised car. That's a 100% success rate for knacker-esque incidents based on my experience.
    You're from Clontarf, that's near Fairview Park right?
    No. It's a few miles away - I live at the other end. But that's stupid logic even if I was beside Fairview Park - I don't live in Fairview. You're trying to make a strained point by lumping in all surrounding areas. By your 'no boundaries' logic every area is the same. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I'm somewhere inbetween, snobbish enough to feel uncomfortable in Tallaght, but not enough to fit in in the Dundrum Town Centre

No such thing - sorry to break it to you. lol - you think it was "karma" as oppossed to a bunch of little scrotes acting like scumbags in a carpark?
    Well it certainly sounds as though you had it coming.
    Nothing's changed based on what I'd originally heard about the place growing up, and then when I went there it was exactly how I'd imagined. Throughout the 80s and 90s I'd heard it was a sh*thole - tallaghtmick agrees, as do you - then I went there in 2006 and my car got bricked while I was parked. I didn't speak to anyone on my visit - I didn't have a run-in with anyone - I didn't interact with anyone - and I didn't attract any unwanted attention. I parked my car for 3hrs in the Basketball Arena carpark, came back out afterwards and there was a brick on the roof with a dent underneath it. So I ask you this - what else am I supposed to think about Tallaght? 1 visit - 1 vandalised car. That's a 100% success rate for knacker-esque incidents based on my experience.
    A 100% success rate with a sample of 1, what's the margin of error on that btw? How many people travel into or through Tallaght every day, do you think 100% of them have had a similar experience? Or do you think it's possible that you were unlucky?

By the way, no one's denying that there's knackers in Tallaght, so by pointing to this one experience as if to prove that they do exist you're only hitting at a strawman. I'm merely taking issue with this ludicrous generalisation about an area with a population of over 90,000.
    No. It's a few miles away - I live at the other end. But that's stupid logic even if I was beside Fairview Park - I don't live in Fairview. You're trying to make a strained point by lumping in all surrounding areas. By your 'no boundaries' logic every area is the same.
    It's not that far away, I've walked it before and it didn't take me that long. And I heard a story last year (in the news) about a lad being kicked to death in Fairview Park after being chased there from Clontarf.

Put it this way, Clontarf is closer to Fairview than the National Basketball Arena is to the estate in Tallaght where I used to live. Do you see the point I'm trying to make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

I work in a fancy-pants food stall in a market selling ridiculously over-priced cheese so I'm inclined to look down on the snobby gits who think the world is there to serve their every whim :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I love how even the lowest of the low can find someone to look down on, I've met Roma gippos who will laugh and look down on , say , Albanian gippos.

Or **** countries will act all lord n mighty looking down on their ever so slightly ****ter neighbours.

Yeah I prejudge, but I'm an underdog kinda guy and would pre judge some posh hard man wannabe to be a wanker than some scobe in a tracky n tackies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I feel your pain Tallaghtmick. Bray has a terrible rep for some reason which I just don't understand. It has no more scumbags relative to population than any other town. I wonder is this also from the 80's and early 90's before the noughties when the Dublin skanger population started getting enough on welfare to make the annual pilgrimmage to Santa Ponza or Playa del Americas instead.
    Jaysus, Bray is full of scumbags!!

Yeah, but they weren't ours!! :D

Of course I'll admit that despite some impriovements the place still looks a bit tatty but I wouldn't live anywhere else. Great amenity in the seafront, Bray Head and pubs, right beside Dublin on the Dart Line. Right beside the beauty of the Wicklow Mountains. Do we have our fair share of trackie wearing troglodites? Of course, but where else doesn't?

• Advertisement
Advertisement