Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading to i7

Options
  • 30-12-2010 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭

Been meaning to upgrade from my Q6600 for quite some time now and I finally have the funds to do so. I've my mind pretty much set on an Asus Sabertooth X58 mobo with an i7-950 and 6GB of A-Data PC3-12800 DDR3 memory. The rig is mainly used for gaming and folding and I'm quite happy with my FPS in current games but I feel upgrading to i7 would do wonders for my folding stats :D

Any opinions?? I've been out of the hardware end of things fo a while now so I'm not 100% sure on the configuration.

I am aware that there are new chips on the way but I honestly don't think I'd be able to afford them and I feel it's better to upgrade now plus going from a Q6600 to an i7 would be a nice jump in performance anyway :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Just made the same jump myself last weekend. Went from

asus striker ii extreme
    > Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5
    q6600
    > i950 oc'd to 3.76ghz (aiming for 4 :))
    2x8800GTS Sli
    > 2x GTX 460 1gb Sli
    8gb DDRII 1066
    > 12Gb DDR3 2000 (not oc'd)

To be honest it has been fantastic. the memory needed some tweeking to run at its rated speed, but the difference has been amazing performance wise. FPS in games, (COD, Fallout, EVE, Total War) have all seen a great increase. (The thing is literally 2 seconds from user-ready by the time the screen has woken up!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Personally, I'd scrap the idea of the 950, and go for either a secondhand 920 D0 or a 930. The 920's can be picked up ridiculously cheap now, and as long as you get a D0 stepping, you're probably sorted to overclock to at least 3.8Ghz.

The only difference between the 950, 930 and 920 are the clock speeds - which can be easily increased by overclocking. Thats just my 2 Cents.

Advertisement