Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a place for Irish hip hop?

Options
  • 30-12-2010 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭

Okay so The Rubberbandits are considered a sort of irish comedy folk rap duo, I suppose you can compare their act in similarity but non in talent of course to Flight of the Conchords, with Flight of the Conchords obviously being much more talented and universal but you know what I mean. Now the Rubberbandits have kind of paved the way for Irish hip hop to be accepted main stream in the Irish media and they are getting a lot of air time be it tv, radio or newspaper.

Now I get onto my point, because of this "opening the door" for Irish hip hop do you think that we will see a lot more of Irish rapping to come from some serious "artists" and I use the word artist very loosely. Could anyone here come to accept Irish hip hop as popular music here in Ireland? Before you make your mind up watch/listen to this:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

No.

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Is there a place for Irish hip hop?:

Yep. The bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

im not looking at that video. Its looks embarrassing enough where its stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

That video is terrible.

Don't think the Irish can pull off the whole hip hop thing without looking like an ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

I didn't understand a word of that "Rap", So this is what dole scroungers are up to while i'm at work and they're meant to be out looking for work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

they should be put down, boyyyyyyyyyyyy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

of course there is boyee :D

Feck the auld begrudgery
    with tunez that are so rubbery
    with loads of dope reference
    may not be your preference

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

im not looking at that video. Its looks embarrassing enough where its stopped.

Knacker rap > Chav rap??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Only in Limerick citaaaaaa.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

It seems that Irish "Hip hop" is just about hating gards, smoking hash and buying a snickers bar. If they rapped about something believable (not shooting 5 n*ggers and and sex with 5 "hoes" all at the same time) with decent prodution not just jonno on the beat box then Irish hip hop might make it into the top 100, a big might!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Thee was an irish Hip/hop duo that were quite good
    Messiah J & the Expert

didnt really ever get much attention and last I heard they were taking a break
    http://messiahjandtheexpert.com/

Oranage2 wrote: »
    It seems that Irish "Hip hop" is just about hating gards, smoking hash and buying a snickers bar. If they rapped about something believable (not shooting 5 n*ggers and and sex with 5 "hoes" all at the same time) with decent prodution not just jonno on the beat box then Irish hip hop might make it into the top 100, a big might!

Thats more the genre (Wannabe) Gangstar rap than Hip Hop, which is crap no matter what country it comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

It's like an advert for JD sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

yo yo my name is mickey & im no fool
    ladies think im a sh!t...that i look real cool
    look at me da wrong way...i give ya a slap
    then...you'll be havin a nap?
    don't give me no crap
    i'll give ya da clap
    now i gotta go fap

Messiah J & the Expert

They are actually quite good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Messiah J & the Expert

Sorry mate I had a listen and I can verify that they are sh*te, probably best that they take a break.

They are actually quite good!!

Indeed they were

Also for this thread they are going to disappoint those who wont to slag hip/hop as they never talk about violence or hoes.

Just good rhymes (messiah J) put to a very good sound by a producer DJ (The expert) also for their last live shows they were using two guitaists which was very good to watch.

Indeed they were

Also for this thread they are going to disappoint those who wont to slag hip/hop as they never talk about violence or hoes.

Just good rhymes (messiah J) put to a very good sound by a producer DJ (The expert) also for their last live shows they were using two guitaists which was very good to watch.

Its the DJ/Producer type hip hop I like the most.

Realllllllly don't like the gangsta hip hop which only talks about b*ches and hoes and popping yo a*s and drugs and all of that crap.
    Don't like Kayne and Timbaland style over produced crap either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,504 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I really don't think rapping goes with an inner city Dubin accept. It just comes off as beign too whiney.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tehjimmeh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Did Republic of Loose not already do this whole 'paving the way for Irish hiphop' thing? :confused:

liah wrote: »
    Did Republic of Loose not already do this whole 'paving the way for Irish hiphop' thing? :confused:

No liah.

No liah.

Strange, they seemed pretty popular when I was there.

Strange, they seemed pretty popular when I was there.

Things have changed, we now use rashers as elbow pads and we now consider a spoon an animal, we even milk it. So you don't know everything :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I like hip hop/rap but I dont think it sounds too good with an Irish accent.Maybe its just because we are so conditioned to hearing rap with an american accent or even an east end london accent that anything else just sounds kinda alien.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

IMO Irish Rap & Hip Hop works as parody or comedy.
    As legitimate music.. Not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Nodin wrote: »
    Yep. The bin.

you beat me to it >:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

They have slightly more music credibility than the coronas and blizards but overall they're still pretty p!iss poor.

Good live however!

Remmy wrote: »
    I like hip hop/rap but I dont think it sounds too good with an Irish accent.Maybe its just because we are so conditioned to hearing rap with an american accent or even an east end london accent that anything else just sounds kinda alien.

I'd argue German actually works pretty well with rap/hiphop (there's a massive scene for it over here):

Then again, I just really like this video :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

That video is terrible.

Don't think the Irish can pull off the whole hip hop thing without looking like an ass.

We cant look any worse to the rest of the world anymore, we can only improve :P

Advertisement