Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a place for Irish hip hop?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

liah wrote: »
    I'd argue German actually works pretty well with rap/hiphop (there's a massive scene for it over here):

Then again, I just really like this video :pac:

There is also a very big French hip hop scene but I think most of this is built on the african immigrant population and their descendants and is obviously centered around paris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The Rubberbandits like the X-Factory have only proved; that nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of Joe Public.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

"A SONG FROM ME NEW MIXTAPE (STR8: DE MIXTAPE)"

Love the chorus :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Carl Sagan wrote: »

"A SONG FROM ME NEW MIXTAPE (STR8: DE MIXTAPE)"

Love the chorus :pac:

That sounds alot like damien dempsey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Tom O'C was pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Course there is a place for hip hop /rap in Ireland. why shouldnt there be. not everyone likes it but some people do.
    Some of the battles on DFI do be great.
    Ould Redzer battling against Sensa in England was priceless.
    Its the same as anything, if ya dont like it dont bleeding look at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87ZezEdxrVQ

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Anyone remember Scary Eire?

howld yer wisht.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

MC Dubh at his best........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOqJrWuGCGk

Not quite at his best...probably the most cringeworthy video on youtube....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfk7B8t1R4E&feature=fvw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Infomatics' album is good. But Spiral's is not!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭boidey

Havn't seen myself but he is meant to be a good live act

http://soundcloud.com/wile-man

Yep, they got booed at a U2 support gig?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭teekayd25

+1 on Messiah J and the Expert, Bloodrush was a great tune, and made it onto a film soundtrack.

So did this song, another one of Irish hip-hop's better moments, IMO

By the way, I trust everyone's aware of Tralee's version of the Rubberbandits? :D

THall04 wrote: »
    MC Dubh at his best........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOqJrWuGCGk

Not quite at his best...probably the most cringeworthy video on youtube....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfk7B8t1R4E&feature=fvw

He only lives a few minutes away from me. He's actually sound but yeah he should have stayed at home that day lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

teekayd25 wrote: »
    By the way, I trust everyone's aware of Tralee's version of the Rubberbandits? :D

Terrible stuff. A bad knock off of the Rubberbandits, sorry.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

4 years in blackrock then i went to clongoes im smokin pot but its not as if my mom knows

irsh rap is terrible i dont care how sum pov in ballymun grew up...ur life is dull and boring...why wud i want to hear your music lol

These guys aren't bad. When it's done well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ2cv75G9i0&feature=related

Saw these guys live too, and they were a "band", as in they played instruments as well as rapping. Kind of like the Roots or BEastie Boys.

People don't seem to have a problem with French language rap, such as MC Solaar, or UK rap such as Roots Manuva? Is it because people can't take white Irish people rapping, or is just ok if they are black, be they American, UK, or French? Or should they come from big cities in order to have the "street cred"?

I mean, people don't have a problem with Irish rock or metal bands, some of which is very American sounding. (The Answer being one rock band..) As long as people use their own accents and are honest about what they are singing about, then I don't see a problem with it.
    I suppose rap is very urban American, which maybe why it gets ridiculed outside the USA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

no its so cringe worthy irish rap should be put down. why do they style themselves on american rappers straight out of compton ha its like lads ur pale boggers from munster stop this ****. then you have the dublin scanger rappers the likes of redzer pure bollox i dont wana hear about your da on the dole and your mates doing gear its boring. at least the brits have good rappers ;)

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    These guys aren't bad. When it's done well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ2cv75G9i0&feature=related

Saw these guys live too, and they were a "band", as in they played instruments as well as rapping. Kind of like the Roots or BEastie Boys.

People don't seem to have a problem with French language rap, such as MC Solaar, or UK rap such as Roots Manuva? Is it because people can't take white Irish people rapping, or is just ok if they are black, be they American, UK, or French? Or should they come from big cities in order to have the "street cred"?

I mean, people don't have a problem with Irish rock or metal bands, some of which is very American sounding. (The Answer being one rock band..) As long as people use their own accents and are honest about what they are singing about, then I don't see a problem with it.
    I suppose rap is very urban American, which maybe why it gets ridiculed outside the USA.

epic fail

UK rap was a joke until they came up with grime. That's what Irish rappers need to do. Stop copying the Yanks and invent a new style?

ricero wrote: »
    epic fail

Irish "rap" is no worse than that Beady Eye sh*te you were drooling over on another thread!!:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

liah wrote: »
    Did Republic of Loose not already do this whole 'paving the way for Irish hiphop' thing? :confused:
    They're not hip-hop, they just have a small hip-hop influence but overall they're more rock than anything (even that's a loose fit for them). Also, I recall a lot of fuss about Collie when he first came out as he was the most identifiable Irish rapper.

FWIW, I think this is the best Irish rap song I've heard:

IMO, what makes a good rapper is being able to convincingly convey a clear message. There's loads of rappers, not just Irish ones, who can't do that.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Everlast is a fairly big name tbh, but he ain't styled completely Irish so it works.

Irish "rap" is no worse than that Beady Eye sh*te you were drooling over on another thread!!:):)

I'm sure it is I say eminem and jay z are ****ing themselves :rolleyes:

I think a Beady Eye and Vanilla Ice collaboration would be great :)

I think a Beady Eye and Vanilla Ice collaboration would be great :)

liam gallagher wouldnt be seen near that puff

Republic of Loose overall would probably be funk-rock, but they have been mentioned by some of the newer Irish hip-hop acts as having been an influence.

Liking this track at the mo; I think the frontman grew up in the states but the backing group are Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Decent Hip Hop is scarce, but it is out there.
    Scaryeire, RiRa, Specifik......

Check out Specifik. No american accent, no bitches & hoes..
    Conscious Hip Hop.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl2obLvqUaM

Advertisement