Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a place for Irish hip hop?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

How come nobody has a problem with English hip hop like Dizee Rascal, or Plan B, or Roots Manuva, etc etc? Nobody had a problem with the House of Pain? Jump around is a classic tune whatever way you want to look at it.
    Why is there a big issue with an Irish person doing rap? If it's done well,and they are not putting on an accent, then I don't see the problem.
    Is it a joke because they are white? If it were a black Irish person rapping, would it be seen as more "urban" or "authentic"?

Now a rapper with a Belfast accent, that I'd love to see....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

seachto7 wrote: »
    How come nobody has a problem with English hip hop like Dizee Rascal, or Plan B, or Roots Manuva, etc etc? Nobody had a problem with the House of Pain? Jump around is a classic tune whatever way you want to look at it.
    Why is there a big issue with an Irish person doing rap? If it's done well,and they are not putting on an accent, then I don't see the problem.
    Is it a joke because they are white? If it were a black Irish person rapping, would it be seen as more "urban" or "authentic"?

there songs are good :cool:

redzer and collie are ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

OPs video reminds me of die antwoord, great videos opn him if your looking for a laugh. serious comedy at how crap he is.
    http://www.dieantwoord.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 l100

I a new irish rapper.,, anybody got any comments on it.?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

MJ Ex are by far the best i've heard and it's sad that they dind't make it bigger.

Proper hip hop. better beats than anything posted here and talking about things a bit more important than "guns, bitches and bling"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Captain Iggy

It's only inevitable that there'll be more and more hip hop / rap acts in Ireland in the coming years, it has been the dominant music force in the world for years now. Me being a rocker, that never seemed appealing. However, you can't fight the tide and when you look, there are some fine acts around. I personally judge these lads to be the best I've seen

http://www.myspace.com/thissideupireland

This Side Up - huge charisma on stage, no playing wannabe and three very nice fellas with no pretence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

How come nobody has a problem with English hip hop like Dizee Rascal, or Plan B, or Roots Manuva, etc etc?

imo because Roots makes songs this good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 l100

what all of ye bad mouthin irish rap, prob cause it didnt take off yet, most of ye are talkin ****, actions speak louder than words so anybody wanna give me the chance to back that up battle me.,

l100 wrote: »
    what all of ye bad mouthin irish rap, prob cause it didnt take off yet, most of ye are talkin ****, actions speak louder than words so anybody wanna give me the chance to back that up battle me.,

that didn't even rhyme... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

smokedeels wrote: »
    imo because Roots makes songs this good

so it's just a case of Irish hip hop not producing any good songs, as opposed to their being a problem with Irish hip hop in general...? Is that the conclusion of this thread?

• Advertisement

so it's just a case of Irish hip hop not producing any good songs, as opposed to their being a problem with Irish hip hop in general...? Is that the conclusion of this thread?

That's my opinion anyway.

tbh I thought some of the music of that Melodica Deathship album was ok, didn't blow my mind, but they have some good ideas, the rhymes did nothing for me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I don't think the Rubber Bandits are paving any way that hasn't been paved before. There is a hip hop scene in Ireland and pretty much most of it is completely laughable and I'm not willing to delve into it so much as to find that which isn't. Hip Hop as a whole has sort of disenchanted me of late. I love good hip hop but I'm just not willing to dredge through it anymore. Although I think a lot of the vitriol in the first few posts are uncalled for.

I think the way forward is to possibly deviate from any scene you can anyway, I know there's a lot of hate for the likes of Scroobius Pip (the albums were a bit sh*t) but at least he injected a little bit of innovation and appealed to more than your typical Hip hop audience (see image-obsessed tards). There's being influenced and there's completely hackneying a style whilst bypassing original content.
    In this way, most Irish rappers and graff artists are sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

smokedeels wrote: »
    That's my opinion anyway.

tbh I thought some of the music of that Melodica Deathship album was ok, didn't blow my mind, but they have some good ideas, the rhymes did nothing for me though.

Are those the guys that opened for DOOM? Because I'm sorry but those guys sucked and made DOOM's performance seem slightly less sh*t.

Kold wrote: »
    Are those the guys that opened for DOOM? Because I'm sorry but those guys sucked and made DOOM's performance seem slightly less sh*t.

They weren't great that night, the rapper isn't any better on the album either, and the lyrics are silly.

I just liked some of the beats on the album, they reminded me of Dälek, and the idea of the melodica playing over it seemed interesting - maybe I just marked out because I'm an Augustus Pablo fan - but I thought they were trying to do things a little differently than other Irish Hip-Hop groups I've heard.

I liked the intention more than the execution, I just wanted to say something positive on the subject :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Jus.Me

How come nobody has a problem with English hip hop like Dizee Rascal, or Plan B, or Roots Manuva, etc etc?

people had a problem with british rap for a looong time, its only the last 7 or 8 years that it has started to be accepted.
    the Irish rappers can expect at least another 10 years of abuse.

and theres your northern rap.. quite good.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3ifB6xRV8s

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ptepete

this is my new music video, let me know what ye think

http://youtu.be/g_X7unDbsoI

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g_X7unDbsoI&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Here's a song that myself and a friend of mine produced and rapped a while ago. We sampled a piano accompaniment of a Jack Kerouac poetry recital and then rapped on top of it about our favourite books. It's relatively tongue-in-cheek but you might get a kick from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

There's plenty of good Irish MCs out there. I think the bigger problem is the lack of good producers, so that you're left with a choice of rhymes rapped over other people's existing songs or over pretty poor beats.

It's different in the UK where grime evolved from UK Garage, so the actual rapping initially took a back seat to the production as the genre evolved, and the two have been closely linked since then. Ireland doesn't really have a scene like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

Not a massive hip hop fan but yes I think there is a place for it if people want it. As for it copying the Americans, I think its up to the artist to interpret and present it in a way that reflects their own culture while using the medium of another. If we were never to use or copy another cultural form then we we wouldn't have so many good white bluesmen

http://breakingtunes.com/flyingbuttresses

http://communityskratch.bandcamp.com/album/send-in-the-hounds

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ptepete

this is my music video, its called breathin, let me know what ye think
    cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I think the whole style of rapping has to be delivered in a genuine way - and by that I mean not trying to rip off how someone from somewhere else does it. As far as beats go though, surely theres manys a good irish producer? Carlow's Auxiliary Phoenix done the music for this Gentle Jones remix - https://soundcloud.com/auxiliaryphoenix/scientology

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Pmaher

They should incorporate/sample traditional Irish music. That would set them apart!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Pmaher wrote: »
    They should incorporate/sample traditional Irish music. That would set them apart!

Like this?

Advertisement