Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ububntu

• 30-12-2010 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

hi my harddrive went on my laptop & had to get a new one installed but i lost windows vista of it so a friend installed ubuntu on it ,cant get to grips with it so rang toshiba for a back up disc & im just waiting on it now . my question is wat do i do when i get this disc and will vista reinstall on my laptop or will this ubuntu thing stop it from working. sorry not very technically minded!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Yes you will be able to reinstall Vista again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

You'll have to start with the Vista CD in the PC, during installation it'll give you the choice of deleting any partitions on the HDD (which will get rid of Ubuntu), then create a new one for Vista.

The Vista installation will overwrite the MBR as well, so you won't get that grub bootloader showing up when you first start it up any more

If you want to keep anything that you've downloaded etc while using Ubuntu, BACK IT UP BEFOREHAND!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭kline64

cheers vista back on laptop no more ubuntu thank god!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

kline64 wrote: »
    cheers vista back on laptop no more ubuntu thank god!

Just out of curiosity, what were your bones with Ubuntu? I use Linux based OS's all the time, but I understand you might have been frustrated at how different it can be to Windows. Ubuntu is designed to be user friendly, while not getting in the way of power users/programmers. So where did it go wrong for ya?:pac:

You can't expect Window to be even near a clone of Windows, the cultural divide is simply too great for that imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭kline64

i just couldnt get the hang of it ,its so different to windows which ive used for ages & when kids wanted to download music and transfer onto their mp4 players it wouldnt do it for them.a lot of things were not compatible with ubuntu

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

kline64 wrote: »
    i just couldnt get the hang of it ,its so different to windows which ive used for ages & when kids wanted to download music and transfer onto their mp4 players it wouldnt do it for them.a lot of things were not compatible with ubuntu

Fair enough, Ubuntu isn't the solution to everything. At least you aren't having problems with Vista. Apple products in particular is a sore point on Ubuntu.

Advertisement