Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Connection Problem

• 30-12-2010 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

Was playing COD Black Ops last night and just randomly during matchs i would get disconnected from XBL. This has never happened with i used a wired connection but moved rooms and cant use the wired. Anyone care to shed some light on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Vodafone by any chance?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Is your signal strength good? Are you using dhcp or a static ip? Network test ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Nah eircom broadband. I just bought the €50 wireless connection yesterday. Like it connects to the internet ive 4 green bars when playing COD, it just randomly disconnects which i cant figure out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Shanee.

HELP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

OK.

If your wif router is located too far away form the xbox this could be the issue, if however the set up / distance from the two hasnt changed then it must be an external issue i.e something interferring with your wifi.

I am going to assume you havent been mucking about with the placement of the router or any of its settings.

Take your comp to beside the xbox.
    There will always be differences in quality on your laptops wifi card and xboxs but for a rough guide they should be fine.

(This will only work if you have vista or win7)

With the laptop beside the xbox click start, type CMD to the search box on the start menu, now open the CMD program.
    Type NETSH and hit enter, now type WLAN and hit enter, now type SHOW ALL and hit enter.

This will show you all the wifi networks in range of your comp and seeing as its beside your xbox - all the wifi networks in range of that also.

It will show you the network names, security types, signal in percent and channel used.
    The important info are the signal strengths and channels.

If your own network is say on channel 6 and shows as 70% on this while your neighbours network is on the same channel but higher signal then it stands to reason that your getting cross over.

Ideally your going to want to open a browser session next and enter your router settings page, here change the wifi channel to 1, now enter the CMD lines I showed above. Note down the signal strength. Now change the routers channel to 6 and re type the CMD line/ note the strength. Do this one more time for channel 11.

Once thats done you now know what channel is giving you the best signal strength so set the router to that.

One other thing to test would be to see if your wifi / net connection is dropping quality ever once in a while and could be disconnecting your xbox service.
    Seeing as ping times are the basis for xbox live if they get very high your net connection could still be there but xbox live will boot you so......

With the comp on beside the xbox and xbox live running click the start menu, type CMD to the search box, open the CMD program and type ping www.google.ie -t
    This will run an indefinite ping to google showing your time in MS. For a reasonabe quality of gaming your want the MS under 50 ms consistanly.
    Consistancy is key here seeing as yor particular issue is random disconnects. SO play away on xbox live, now if you see the connection drop (and you know your on a good channel with good signal strength) look at the ping test running, are there any spikes in the MS time? This could be why you were kicked off.

NB - there will always be change from one ping to another, its called jitter but to give an example ; if your pings generally are between 30, 32, 29, 31 ms then suddenly jump to 130, 140 etc then thats a fault.
    It could be the wifi or the hard connection itself.

Narrow this down by repeating all above on a wired connection if needed.

Generally even if the pings go high intermittently web browsing wouldnt be noticably effected seeing as its not a constant stream of data for the most part where as gaming is.

I hope that helps some what. Sorry for it being so long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

i think this is a known issue with the eircom zyxel router.
    i had the very same problem, and what worked for me was turning off wireless on the router and connecting the xbox directly by ethernet cable.
    this might be a pain on the ass depending where your modem is etc, but I'm fairly sure that the problem relates to the wireless functionality on that router. i haven't had an issue with disconnections since i turned it off, apart from the inconvenience

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brianeoc

It could be that the wireless channel on the router is transmitting on the same channel that the Xbox wifi is working on. Just log into your router and change the wireless channel from 9 (it's usually 9) to 6 and test.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Gerry_Soul

same thing is happening to me....its to do the nat type....how do i change it???

Advertisement