Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potholes in Drogheda and surrounding areas

Options
  • 30-12-2010 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭

Hi All. I watched state of the roads of Drogheda and the surrounding areas deteriorate over the last couple of months. I'd just like to urge people to report any major potholes as they come across them to the Drogheda Borough Council at 041 9876100. Be sure to leave your name and get the name of whoever you are talking to for the record.

The Cement Road in particular is in a bad state. There appears to be a money saving exercise going on which is fair enough given the state of the country but if any of the potholes I've encountered today were hit at speed they could easily cause a major accident.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

between newtownforbes and longford, 2 huge potholes close together. The other night when I just managed to avoid then, there were 12 cars pulled in changing tyres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

Dingatron wrote: »
    Hi All. I watched state of the roads of Drogheda and the surrounding areas deteriorate over the last couple of months. I'd just like to urge people to report any major potholes as they come across them to the Drogheda Borough Council at 041 9876100. Be sure to leave your name and get the name of whoever you are talking to for the record.

The Cement Road in particular is in a bad state. There appears to be a money saving exercise going on which is fair enough given the state of the country but if any of the potholes I've encountered today were hit at speed they could easily cause a major accident.

the road outside glanbia on the dublin road in drogheda is very bad with pot holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

ingen wrote: »
    the road outside glanbia on the dublin road in drogheda is very bad with pot holes.

It's quite some obstacle course there at the moment. Is the damage on the bit that's been recently resurfaced, or is it an older bit of tarmac?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭positron

It's the newly surfaced area. I am zig-zagging thru there these days, it's like a video game now! I think the heavy trucks that turn into glanbia is partially responsible for how quickly the road surface falls apart there. Seeing the heavy traffic, they should have done the road to last, last time around - looks like they did the usual cr*ppy patch job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I was up the Dublin road today and around Weaton Hall to the Black Bull was attrocious alright. I'll ring them in make sure you do to. I think they may work by calls raised so the more the merrier. If anyone can shed any light on how they decide on addressing these let us know as I'm curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

I was just saying that how bad the road was I felt like I was driving computer driving game too!

Disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

You want to try these roads with 20" wheels. Not good at all. Are the Council liable for damage caused by pot holes to cars?

As far as I know if the pothole has been reported previously then it may help any case. Any damage incurred needs to be fully documented. If your driving any particular bad road I would do as a matter of course as your more liable to damage your car.

Taken from pothole.ie

Put together all the evidence you can. If safe to do so, take a photograph of the pothole and try to measure the size (if possible you can use an object beside the hole when taking the photo to give an idea of the size. e.g. a credit card or ruler). Make as many notes as possible about the pothole like where on the road it is, was it hidden etc. Make a rough sketch of where the pothole is on the road and try to be as accurate as possible as exaggerating your claim helps nobody and will most likely be thrown out. Make sure you get the name of the person you reported the hole to.Take pictures of the damage done by the hole and write down exactly what happened to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Bob1981

Awful pothole on the dublin road between the esso garage and the train station. that whole road is very bad and it's ridiculous considering it's the main road through the town.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Hehe, came in to post this. I noticed they seem a tad worse since the snow as well, as if it did some real damage.

There's also a massive one right outside my entrance in Grange Rath that's near impossible not to hit when you're going in or out :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Daragh86

I left half my car in a pot hole the size of a swimming pool last week on the Cement Rd while trying to avoid another pot hole, was only doing about 20 mph, think it may have shot the suspension or bearings.

Looks like the pot holes are filled for now though, no doubt they will be back to usual within a couple of weeks.

Daragh86 wrote: »
    Looks like the pot holes are filled for now though, no doubt they will be back to usual within a couple of weeks.

Went up that road at 12 today and they hadn't been touched. Anyway looks like its worth while reporting them so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

the damage to the road at the Glanbia area in Drogheda, will be repaired before the end of the month, tenders are out at the moment, for this work.

Good to hear. Looks like there was some work done on lower Trinity Street yesterday. There was a huge pothole outside the bookies (Boyles?) that's been repaired.

Cement road is still in bits and getting worse by the day. I have to stop at one part and crawl through the mid section as its impassible at speed unless your driving a JCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭NAGGIE03

Oh glad to hear the one at Boyles has been fixed! I hit it yesterday evening and i swear i turned the air blue! It was sooo deep!:mad:

Avoiding the cement road now as it really is too dangerous! Especially in the evenings/night where you can even see half of them! Its an absolute disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭positron

the damage to the road at the Glanbia area in Drogheda, will be repaired before the end of the month, tenders are out at the moment, for this work.

I hope it's not another surface patch job. They really need to address the core road strength issue there, if not we will have this problem and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

positron wrote: »
    I hope it's not another surface patch job. They really need to address the core road strength issue there, if not we will have this problem and again.

What they have to do is keep the trucks off it untill it is fit to drive on,the trucks just churn it up!

Pothole at Boyles on trinity st aint fixed! Hit it again last night!:mad:

NAGGIE03 wrote: »

I know so did I! :( It was dark the other night so it appeared to have been filled in. Sorry for the bum info.

Its cool. On the plus side the Cement road seems to be patched up a bit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

I'll be avoiding the cement road , its the worst IMO , puncture hell . Went to the garage to get my tyre fixed and they told me I was the 10th person to get a flat due to the cement road that week. :mad:

Its ridiculous! We shouldnt have to pay for damage caused by potholes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I blew a tyre yesterday between Clogherhead and Termonfecken. (that direction)

Google Map Link

Exactly where your front left tyre would be on the road, and on a solid white lined road with no room to manoeuvre if another car is on the other side of the road.

I hope it hasn't damaged my alloy wheel, which immediately blew out.
    I reported it first thing today and got confirmation that it will be referred to the area engineer.

Report potholes to roadsandtraffic@louthcoco.ie.
    I also gave the Google map location.

It's imperative that these potholes are reported otherwise you have no chance of recourse in the event of damaging your car. Trinity St one reported via email to roadsandtraffic@louthcoco.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭gipi

Spotted some roadworks on the Dublin Rd (where the bad surface is) as I came home about 8.45pm - hopefully some decent road surface awaits the morning commute!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I blew a tyre yesterday between Clogherhead and Termonfecken. (that direction)

Google Map Link

Exactly where your front left tyre would be on the road, and on a solid white lined road with no room to manoeuvre if another car is on the other side of the road.

I hope it hasn't damaged my alloy wheel, which immediately blew out.
    I reported it first thing today and got confirmation that it will be referred to the area engineer.

Bettystown area is pretty bad especially between new roundabout at ghost estate (whitefield manor I think????) and Donacarney school. Huge crater just past the roundabout. Have you the address for reporting to in Meath by any chance?

roads@meathcoco.ie appears to be the Meath one. I've submitted a few using street view as it gives exact area etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

That's excellent info there mate. I was able to embed the photo location in the email I sent them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

NAGGIE03 wrote: »

That ain't a pothole, it's a feckin' bomb crater. Shaggin' thing is huge. If it gets any deeper there'll be kangaroos hopping out of it...:eek:

• Advertisement

Bosh wrote: »
    That ain't a pothole, it's a feckin' bomb crater. Shaggin' thing is huge. If it gets any deeper there'll be kangaroos hopping out of it...:eek:

Ha ha. Someones digging a hole to Australia :D

Advertisement