Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar eclipse Jan 4th 2011

Options
  • 30-12-2010 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

No mention of it yet, starts about 10 to 9 in the morning, it'll be a partial eclipse about 50%- next one isn't till 2015(lunar aswell!). Anywhere handy to pick up a solar filter for a scope?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

I have one ordered from the uk but am getting very nervous about the non existent postal service....... If you are in the dublin area the Astronomy Ireland shop in Artane will likely have some, other than that I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Some information on the Eclipse
    On the morning of Tuesday, Jan. 4, an partial eclipse of the Sun will be widely visible across Europe and as far east as India. People in Western Europe will find the Sun already eclipsed as the day begins, with the eclipse lasting about 80 minutes more. Even at its maximum, the eclipse will be only partial, with some of the everyday Sun still visible. Because the everyday Sun is too bright to look at safely, special solar filters or projection methods should always be used to protect the eyes.

eclipse110104.gif

SE2011Jan04P.GIF

For anyone close to Antrim the Irish Astronomical Association will assemble at the Knockagh War Memorial in County Antrim to view the Partial Solar Eclipse at Sunrise

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭John mac

you could use a welding shield. (with a 12 or 13 shade glass)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Is this a total eclipse in some parts of the world??

No, just a partial one, think there's 3 more to come

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

bogman wrote: »
    No, just a partial one, think there's 3 more to come

Not from our viewpoint bogman, next one is 2015 i'm told!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Cool, I was looking for a time, 8:50am start. Hope it's a clear sky.

Isn't it amazing the Moon is the right distance and size from the Earth to create a solar eclipse ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Interestingly the the Irish Times seem to think the sun will rise in the North-East tomorrow!
    RONAN MCGREEVY

A partial solar eclipse will be visible tomorrow morning as the sun rises.

The eclipse will be visible for those who have a clear north-eastern horizon particularly on the east coast.

It will be seen across all of northern Europe and is the major astronomical event for 2011 in this part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

No mention of it yet, starts about 10 to 9 in the morning, it'll be a partial eclipse about 50%- next one isn't till 2015(lunar aswell!). Anywhere handy to pick up a solar filter for a scope?

An alternative would be to use a telescope or pair of binoculars to project the image of the Sun onto a piece of white card, that's what I'll be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭X files

Borrowed welding mask, ready along with cardboard options and recording on tv.
    Of to the dolmen for breakfast party.
    Bacon bagels being prepared as thats the most similar thing we could find.
    Will users please post any photos.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Hi guys though I'd pop in here and see if I can get a quick response.

This can be seen in around 4hrs time around 9am today, right? How long for?

What's the window of opporunity? Dunno if I can stay up another 4 hours but don't think I want to set the alarm for a 4 hour sleep either!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

This can be seen in around 4hrs time around 9am today, right? How long for?
    08:50 - 09:30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

That was classy, there was an opening in the clouds on the horizon here, almost exactly one solar diameter wide/high.
    With the sun slightly flattened on the top and bottom by the clouds, it looked just like the Apple logo slowly rising into the air. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It was really cloudy and foggy down here in Cork this morning so I wasn't expecting to see anything but then at 9.00 the clouds just parted and there it was. A golden orange sun with a chunk missing out the side! Beautiful!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 glenbrook

Here it is over Cork harbour. Finally got some use out of the solar safety film I bought back in 1999 for the total which was completely rained out in Baltimore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Low cloud and fog put paid to it down here, the next one will be much better. 2015 and about 85% coverage I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

TheUsual wrote: »
    Cool, I was looking for a time, 8:50am start. Hope it's a clear sky.

Isn't it amazing the clouds are the right distance and size from the Earth to create a solar eclipse ?

Fixed that for you.

Very nice photo glenbrook, nothing visible here, engulfed in heavy fog that lifted just after 9-30am

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Grabbed a few this morning (in between clouds) from Dun Laoghaire pier.

Literally had about five minutes view of the 'full' disc.

5322808989_8b5eac87e4_d.jpg
    Original here

5322808985_b2e86b9f41_d.jpg
    Original here

5322808979_f49d672790_d.jpg
    Original here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Wow some cool snaps there :) I woke up in time for it, but through my blinds it looked too cloudy so I rolled over and went back to sleep :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Dave! wrote: »
    Wow some cool snaps there :) I woke up in time for it, but through my blinds it looked too cloudy so I rolled over and went back to sleep :p

I did get up, see a break forming ran out, just never got to see it, I was out for the optimum time as reports suggest, but my location just did not get the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Me and another mechanic in work got a welding mask and goggles for cutting steel(can't think of the name) and we could see it pretty clear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

wow fantastic pics stranglove, congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

The clouds wouldn't break for me thismorning :(
    Went back to bed....

Sorry strangelove, but I have to out-do you :D

Click here for a ridiculous (and high res) pic of the eclipse.

Now look at the little black mark near the top of the sun... anyone know what it is?

Spoiler to follow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Absolutely awesome, one of the best pics of the ISS I've seen!
    Sorry strangelove, but I have to out-do you

Click here for a ridiculous (and high res) pic of the eclipse.

Now look at the little black mark near the top of the sun... anyone know what it is?

Spoiler to follow

Yes, NUTZZ gets the points, it's the fooking International Space Station flying in front of the solar eclipse :eek:

Read Phil Plait's blog post for some background and perspective

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2011/01/04/insanely-awesome-solar-eclipse-picture/

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Wow, that is pretty amazing alright.

(Right, now all i need is an eclipse, a TIE fighter, Skylab and Santa on his sleigh to all line up for me.....)

Not from our viewpoint bogman, next one is 2015 i'm told!

3 more partial eclipses to come somewhere in the world in 2011, that is what I am saying

DAVE, fantastic image of the double eclipse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

bogman wrote: »
    3 more partial eclipses to come somewhere in the world in 2011, that is what I am saying

DAVE, fantastic image of the double eclipse

Alright relax, it wasn't obvious for neutrals.

Cloudy out my way i'm afraid, enjoyin the pics people!;)

Advertisement