Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quotes of the Year

• 30-12-2010 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭

A long year coming to an end and just looking back at some of the quotes from the year, it was a good year. These are some of the ones i came across today. Believe it or not there are a few Holloway quotes in there.

"It has always been an honour to play for England. However, after careful thought I believe my position in the squad is now untenable and potentially divisive."
    - Wayne Bridge decides sharing a changing room with someone who has shared his girlfriend isn't what he's about.

"If it were not for Messi, I would be coaching in La Segunda [Division]."
    - Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola comes over all humble after another Messi masterclass against Zaragoza.

"They got him sent off, everyone sprinted towards the referee - typical Germans."
    - Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson does nothing for Anglo-German relationships after Rafael is sent off against Bayern Munich.

"If I had it in my power to introduce a ban on women driving cars and to withdraw all their licences, I would do it without thinking twice. In my opinion a woman and a man are two absolutely different creatures."
    - His football may be forward thinking but Andrey Arshavin's views on women come straight out of the dark ages.

"You're finished granddad."
    - Mario Balotelli has no respect for his elders after this insult directed at Francesco Totti, according to the Roma No.10.

"I read the letter. I don’t think the players wrote it. It was typed out on a computer and there were no spelling mistakes."
    - French Football Federation (FFF) general secretary Henri Monteil fawns to stereotypes after the French squad's letter announcing a playing strike during the World Cup.

''Nice to see your own fans booing you. That's what loyal support is.''
    - Wayne Rooney's message to the world after the disappointing Algeria draw during what can only be described as a mutual display of frustration.
    "Pele has to go back to the museum."
    - Pantomime season rolled into the summer as Diego Maradona and Pele swapped pops at each other.

"I don't have a problem with Maradona, I just do not think he is a good coach. He has an outlandish lifestyle and rarely is that a positive thing for the team."
    - Brazil legend Pele hits back at the Argentina coach's methods.

"The 'Hand of God' now belongs to me. Mine is the real 'Hand Of God'. I made the best save of the tournament."
    - Uruguay forward Luis Suarez manages to ignore world wide anger at his goal-line save against Ghana, finding the funnier side.

"These people are clowns. I am dying with laughter."
    - There are probably a fair few people at the FFF who secretly hope Nicolas Anelka would die of laughter after this comment.

"I'm not a wheeler dealer. Don't call me that. I'm a ****ing football manager."
    - Pretty sure Harry Redknapp doesn't have that printed at the top of his CV.
    "I might be in a bit of a Skoda garage rather than a Mercedes garage, but I am telling you some old bangers don't half polish up great."
    - Holloway's response to fielding one of the cheapest squads in Premier League history.

"I'm not suited to Bolton or Blackburn, I would be more suited to Inter or Real Madrid."
    - It turns out the new owners of Blackburn agreed with Sam Allardyce, sacking him two months later.

"I am a coach, not Harry Potter. He is a magician. Magic is fiction and I live for football, which is real."
    - Jose Mourinho for once not in bullish mood on his unveiling as Real Madrid manager.

Reporter: “Ian, have you got any injury worries?” Holloway: “No, I’m fully fit, thank you.”
    - That's just childish Ian.

"Gareth Bale literally has three lungs."
    - Either Jamie Redknapp hasn't quite got a grasp on the English language or he knows something we don't.

"Well, there is only one player who is a tiny bit better than me: Leo Messi. The rest are behind me!"
    - If by 'tiny bit' you mean 'gargantuan proportions of better' Mario Balotelli then yes, you are right.

"In football you need to have everything in your cake mix to make the cake taste right. One little bit of ingredient that Tony uses in his cake gets talked about all the time is Rory’s throw. Call that cinnamon and he’s got a cinnamon flavoured cake. It’s not fair and it’s not right and it’s only a small part of what he does."
    - I'm sorry, what was Holloway talking about there? All I can think of now is cake.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Pep Guardiola - 28/11/10 prior to Manita - sums the man up to be honest.

“I won my 4 Clásicos as a coach? No, WE won them.”

Not from this season but what Pep said to the players before they took the field against Man United in the Champions League Final on the cusp of becoming the first ever Spanish side to win the treble.

“Gentlemen, if you lose today you will continue to be the best in the world – but if you win today you will be eternal.”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭jaykay74

:D

"Messi can do some amazing things, but anything he can do Joe can do as well, if not better. I really fancy Joe for the [player of the year] award this season" - Steven Gerrard misplaces his confidence in new Liverpool signing Joe Cole (August)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

"I've seen better fights in a chipper in Finglas" -- Pat Fenlon offers his opinion on scuffles between players following the draw between Bohemians and Shamrock Rovers in May.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

jaykay74 wrote: »
    :D

"Messi can do some amazing things, but anything he can do Joe can do as well, if not better. I really fancy Joe for the [player of the year] award this season" - Steven Gerrard misplaces his confidence in new Liverpool signing Joe Cole (August)

I remember reading that at the time and it was funny as hell, its twice as funny now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Almost anything Ian Holloway has said.
    Here's a few examples:

On scraping a win:If you’re a burglar, it’s no good poncing about outside somebody’s house, looking good with your swag bag ready. Just get in there, burgle them and come out. I don’t advocate that obviously, it’s just an analogy.

On Cristiano Ronaldo: “He’s six foot something, fit as a flea, good looking – he’s got to have something wrong with him. Hopefully he’s hung like a hamster – That would make us all feel better. Having said that, me missus has got a pet hamster at home, and his c***’s massive.”

Get your coat...
    "To put it in gentleman's terms, if you've been out for a night and you're looking for a young lady and you pull one, you've done what you set out to do. We didn't look our best today but we've pulled.
    "Some weeks the lady is good looking and some weeks they're not. Our performance today would have been not the best looking bird but at least we got her in the taxi.
    "She may not have been the best looking lady we ended up taking home but it was still very pleasant and very nice, so thanks very much and let's have coffee."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I have to say, I love Ian Holloway. Football needs great characters like that. I have missed Mourinho in the EPL but Holloway has been fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

From an Arsenal blog before the Arsenal V Newcastle match
    They come into the game on the back of a great win in last weekend’s derby againsts Mrs Doubtfire’s Sunderland. Sure, they were helped by the sending off of Titus Bramble but they were, before that, helped by the presence of Titus Bramble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Mancini promised, Rafa Guaranteed, Harry delivered

Tottenham banner after securing the last champions league spot my favourite of this year

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

No Hodgson?

Lets not forget our "Famous Victory"
    31 October: "A famous victory" (1-0 at Bolton)
    Today was a famous victory because we hadn’t won more than once away in the whole of 2010. When you’re down the bottom, and keep being reminded you’re down the bottom, anxiety kicks in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Johnny Giles in South Africa

"The black people love the game" :pac: :pac:

/thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Cahsley on Hughton 27 October 2010
    "Chris is our manager and will remain our manager,"
    "It is our intention to renegotiate his contract at the end of the year."
    :rolleyes:

Advertisement