Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portraits for C&C

• 30-12-2010 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi all,

I rarely take portraits, so in the coming year I'm hoping to improve my skills in this area. So I was wondering could anyone give me some pointers/ C&C on the following on how I can improve - thanks!

5306766838_09b89f72c5.jpg

5306766826_4ac67cdb7c.jpg

3. Give me a BIG Smile!
    5306766824_434f94c590.jpg

4. Don't touch the lens!
    5306766820_ce9fcd49e8.jpg

5275746638_0ffd90106d.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

Nice shots, a nice backdrop or plain sheet would help block out the background clutter from the first few shots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Hello Trican, as Hoganpoly said, I think background clutter is the biggest problem I see. Shots also look a bit over-exposed to me. I'd say #3 is the best of the lot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

these seem to be candids though, so a backdrop would completely remove any spontaneity from them.

first two are a bit ordinary, but i like the other three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I love 3 & 4, the eyes are nice and sharp [very important in portraits, even candids, though those 2 are not candid] , and the expressions are great.

Sometimes a backdrop to remove clutter and concentrate on the subject works better, sometimes it doesn't. I think the shallow DOF is sufficient here so that the backing doesn't distract. Last one being the best example. Outdoor portraits can be a lot nicer than a plain ol' backing sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭trican

thanks very much for the feedback - I never really thought about the distinction between candids and portraits, its much clearer now. Also the comments regarding clutter were really useful, as well as the comments on composition/expression (i.e. 1 & 2 being poor). It was also the first time I really used my flash gun in anger and am quite pleased with the results from bouncing the flash off ceilings (though I appreciate I have an enormous amount to learn about good on/off camera flash). For focusing, I just used a fixed center focus point and focused on the eyes. Then I either locked the focus and/or recropped in pp so that the composition wasn't completely central - is there a better way to ensure sharp eyes?

I did push the exposure in some shots in pp, as I liked the look, but it will be something I'll be more careful of in the future. Many thanks for the feedback it was really helpful

• Advertisement

Only the first 2 seem to be candids, the subjects knew you you were taking them before they looked I assume.

There's nothing wrong with them at all, I would maybe have cropped in a little tighter on #3 and #5, and made #3 much less centralised.

I was going to ask did you use flash, or do you have huge windows with great light! :D Been bouncing flash all around for portraits myself recently, great tool to have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't know if the subject looking at the camera precludes the term 'candid' - i'd regard candid photography as being unposed or unrehearsed.

Of course, but 3, 4 and 5 look like they knew the shot was happening before the click, that's not candid ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

Personally, with children, I find the best shots that bring out a bit of their character, are taken when they are NOT looking at the camera. But I still believe it's all about the eyes, the eyes, the eyes, and ...... you get the drift;)

Advertisement