Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in Our Ladies Hospital, Shanakiel Cork

Options
  • 30-12-2010 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

I just heard about this on thie radio. Anyone have anymore information on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

No. But I do hope everyone's OK....

As an aside. Given the current shortages, how do the Fire Brigade cope without a steady pressurised supply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

Everyone is ok, and it was the derelict part of the buliding that was up in flames. Gotta have been arson.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Steba

Was it yesterday at about 4.00pm ish?
    I did see 4 fire-brigades, 3 ambulance's, a coast guard jeep and several garda vehicles racing through town!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

Steba wrote: »
    I did see 4 fire-brigades, 3 ambulance's, a coast guard jeep and several garda vehicles racing through town!

No I think I heard on the radio that it was at 10.00pm last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thorpe

No. But I do hope everyone's OK....

As an aside. Given the current shortages, how do the Fire Brigade cope without a steady pressurised supply?

The Brigade brought in a number of water tankers to help deal with the fire. Although when I was up there they had no problems with the hydrants they were drawing from

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

StereoLove wrote: »
    Everyone is ok, and it was the derelict part of the buliding that was up in flames. Gotta have been arson.

It's being treated as such.
    Steba wrote: »

They were for a girl in the river by North Mall

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I hope they catch the scumbags that set the building on fire. a group of youths were seeing running from the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Costs were in the region of €6k per month for security.

It has been derelict since 2002. There was some scandal in the Dail before about the costs they were paying to keep it secure, so they pulled them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

will they restore it now or whats going to happen? reports say 2/3rds of the roof is gone. what are the charges for committing arson in this country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

fin12 wrote: »
    will they restore it now or whats going to happen? reports say 2/3rds of the roof is gone. what are the charges for committing arson in this country?

2.—(1) A person who without lawful excuse damages any property belonging to another intending to damage any such property or being reckless as to whether any such property would be damaged shall be guilty of an offence.
    (2) A person who without lawful excuse damages any property, whether belonging to himself or another—
    (a) intending to damage any property or being reckless as to whether any property would be damaged, and
    (b) intending by the damage to endanger the life of another or being reckless as to whether the life of another would be thereby endangered,
    shall be guilty of an offence.
    (3) A person who damages any property, whether belonging to himself or another, with intent to defraud shall be guilty of an offence.
    (4) An offence committed under this section by damaging property by fire shall be charged as arson.
    (5) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable—
    (a) on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding £1,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or both, and
    (b) on conviction on indictment—
    (i) in case the person is guilty of arson under subsection (1) or (3) or of an offence under subsection (2) (whether arson or not), to a fine or imprisonment for life or both, and
    (ii) in case the person is guilty of any other offence under this section, to a fine not exceeding £10,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years or both.
    (6) For the purposes of this section a person is reckless if he has foreseen that the particular kind of damage that in fact was done might be done and yet has gone on to take the risk of it.

Good luck finding them though, and if they are little scrotes, they'll only get a finger wagging.

It's owned by the HSE, hardly the most effective organisation in the land.

I'd say 100's of them all over the place, old closed down mental hospitals, old places inherited from religious or the old health boards, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

fin12 wrote: »

Restore it - with a Caterpillar

thing of beauty - so graceful

Advertisement