Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.243 varmint

Options
  • 30-12-2010 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

i'm using my .243 only for varmints
    like some ideas on the best bullet
    best twist rate etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

badshot wrote: »
    i'm using my .243 only for varmints
    like some ideas on the best bullet
    best twist rate etc

If you have a .243 already then there is nothing you can about your twist rate as it is not something you can change without changing your rifle or getting it re barrelled.

As far as bullets are concerned there is a large selection of bullet weights out there. Anything from 55gr to 105gr.
    I think my self that the 75gr hollow point would be savage on vermin. But that's just my opinion and I don't use a .243.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have an A-bolt in .243 and I use whatever is handy, TBH at the moment I have a lot more 100grain stuff than anything else so I use it on foxes and I haven't had any complaints yet.
    The last fox at 140 yards or so had a big hole in him.
    I did have a box of 58gn Hornady BT but tbh after zeroing with the 100gn rounds I just stuck with them. I haven't managed to track down any 80-90 gn stuff but I believe thats where the sweet spot is for the .243 with standard 1-10 twist.
    Most cals have an optimum grainage and although they can use heavier and lighter rounds there is usually a very accurate weight that the rifle performs best at.

Advertisement