Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to university abroad?

• 30-12-2010 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

Is anybody doing this? I'm considering going to Sweden, but the thought of it is intimidating. And by abroad I mean outside Ireland and the UK.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Never thought of it actually.. Think I'd find it waay to scary :rolleyes:
    What course are you planning on doing when you leave school? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Is anybody doing this? I'm considering going to Sweden, but the thought of it is intimidating. And by abroad I mean outside Ireland and the UK.
    Not being smart, but I assume universities in Sweden all teach in Swedish? Do you speak the language at a sufficiently high level?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Not being smart, but I assume universities in Sweden all teach in Swedish? Do you speak the language at a sufficiently high level?
    Sorry, meant to add in that most courses are also offered in English! I speak enough Swedish to get around, trying to improve on that for if I do go.

Never thought of it actually.. Think I'd find it waay to scary :rolleyes:
    What course are you planning on doing when you leave school? :)
    Planning on doing social studies, was planning on Trinity but tbh I think money'd be more manageable if I were to go there as it's free for EU citizens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Jesus man going abroad is a BIG BIG deal. Have you ever lived away from home before? I'm assuming you're very mature because remember, it's not like here when you get to come home every weekend, you're there for the long haul, and it's for years. I'm not trying to be negative but I strongly advise you to rethink your options unless you really really have no choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kyamk trainee

ever thought of coming to Finland? great educating system, education is free of charge. there is an opportunity to study in English as well.. Nice culture and people, very easy to adapt..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Planning on doing social studies, was planning on Trinity but tbh I think money'd be more manageable if I were to go there as it's free for EU citizens.
    Hold on, I'm confused...tuition here is free for EU citizens too...?

When I was having a look at doing medicine abroad (Czech Republic) the courses in the native language were cheap...but to do them in English was costly.

That was one of my unrealistic dreams, I'm not considering it anymore. In Sweden though education is actually free, unlike Ireland which claims it has free education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Jesus man going abroad is a BIG BIG deal. Have you ever lived away from home before? I'm assuming you're very mature because remember, it's not like here when you get to come home every weekend, you're there for the long haul, and it's for years. I'm not trying to be negative but I strongly advise you to rethink your options unless you really really have no choice.

I don't think its a case of having no choice, it's the whole experience. If you were mature enough to live on your own and take care of yourself it would be incredible.
    That was one of my unrealistic dreams, I'm not considering it anymore. In Sweden though education is actually free, unlike Ireland which claims it has free education.

It may be free, but living and accomodation costs would be a huge cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ddeclan

GO FOR IT!! i made the decision this year to go to scotland to study (edinburgh to be precise) and it was one of the best choices i've ever made, at the time it was heartwrenching leaving your friends but then once you get there it's not like ireland where many people stay with their group of friends that they made in secondary school as all of you will be in the same boat together you'll make friends really quickly! as regards those who you left behind at home, it's tough for the first few weeks (i'm still finding it a bit tough) but with skype and facebook they're always kind of near to you too.....also i've come to realise that a lot of my friends in dublin don't enjoy studying there because it's stagnated a bit, they want to hang out with people on their course but they feel like they have an obligation to their friends from secondary school to stay with them, also you get bored of going out to the same places week in week out......SO GO FOR IT! the application process will be a bit of a stress and an annoyance but it's worth it! good luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement