Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Google map to search for locations..

Options
  • 30-12-2010 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone else use Google map/street view to look at some locations reported to be haunted? I find it interesting, using locations you see from TV shows. I can't be the only one? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i will never, ever understand why anyone would want to look at a picture of a supposed haunted building via something like google maps. thats too near voyeurism for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Does anyone else use Google map/street view to look at some locations reported to be haunted? I find it interesting, using locations you see from TV shows. I can't be the only one? :pac:

maybe this thread could be used as a "post spooky gaff's thread":D

This is Whaley House, in San Diego - it's where I saw my first ever ghosts. It is one of the only officially recognised haunted houses in America.

This B'n'B is supposed to be haunted in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

maccored wrote: »
    i will never, ever understand why anyone would want to look at a picture of a supposed haunted building via something like google maps. thats too near voyeurism for me.
    Haha. Its interesting. Seeing the locations on Most Haunted and such shows and seeing them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

This B'n'B is supposed to be haunted in Galway.

Yeah heard about that alright. Few Galway folk have told me its haunted but no one really knows much about it.

• Advertisement

Grimes wrote: »
    Yeah heard about that alright.

i hear its got 'No Reservation Costs. Great Rates!' :rolleyes:
    Few Galway folk have told me its haunted but no one really knows much about it.

too many places are haunted by hearsay. its doing my f*cking nut in the way people in this country are capable of believing anything is haunted if enough people say it is. who needs objectivity anyway? that just gets in the way of a good apparent haunted house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

This is one place I'd absolutely love to go, the infamous Winchester House:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=g+hotel,&sll=53.277635,-9.03162&sspn=0.013344,0.042272&ie=UTF8&t=h&rq=1&ev=zi&radius=1.05&split=1&hq=g+hotel,&hnear=&ll=53.282125,-9.033594&spn=0,0.042272&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.281961,-9.033889&panoid=JLYEYo_fT3mnQB1RCxN94w&cbp=12,321.42,,1,-4.24
    Deeply saddened by the deaths of her daughter Annie in 1866, and her young husband in 1881, and seeking solace, Winchester consulted a medium on the advice of a psychic. The "Boston Medium" told Winchester that she believed there to be a curse upon the Winchester family because the guns they made had taken so many lives[citation needed]. The psychic told Winchester that "thousands of people have died because of it and their spirits are now seeking deep vengeance."
    Although this is disputed, popular belief holds that the Boston Medium told Winchester that she had to leave her home in New Haven and travel West, where she must "build a home for yourself and for the spirits who have fallen from this terrible weapon, too. You must never stop building the house. If you continue building, you will live forever. But if you stop, then you will die."
    The June 1937 issue of Modern Mechanix relates the story from then-current accounts as follows: "Winchester and the baby girl died suddenly and Mrs. Winchester, stunned by the tragedy, fell into a coma so serious that physicians despaired of her life.
    "Finally she recovered and, at a friend’s suggestion, visited a medium. During a seance, according to those familiar with her story, she received a communication from her dead husband in which he said: 'Sarah dear, if our house had not been finished, I would still be with you. I urge you now to build a home, but never let it be finished, for then you will live. . . .'"[6]
    Another version of the story says that after the deaths of her daughter and later her husband, she consulted a medium who told her that she must build a house and never cease building it, otherwise the spirits that killed her family members would come after her, too. After that she began construction on the maze-like house full of twists, turns, and dead ends, so that the spirits would get lost and never be able to find her.
    Winchester inherited more than $20.5 million upon her husband's death. She also received nearly 50 percent ownership of the Winchester Repeating Arms Company, giving her an income of roughly $1,000 per day, none of which was taxable until 1913. This amount is roughly equivalent to about $22,000 a day in 2010. All of this gave her a tremendous amount of wealth to fund the ongoing construction.

the winchester house is, i think anyway, more of a creation of an insane mind - insanity possibly caused by far too much money, too little to do and maybe a bit of family guilt.

Ive never understood how a house which was designed by what to all intents and purposes was clearly a crazy person has any link to the paranormal whatsoever.

the winchester house is, i think anyway, more of a creation of an insane mind - insanity possibly caused by far too much money, too little to do and maybe a bit of family guilt.

Ive never understood how a house which was designed by what to all intents and purposes was clearly a crazy person has any link to the paranormal whatsoever.

It may be, it may not be. Personally I'd say she was nuts but nothing can be 100% proven, it's not like we can prove she wasn't instructed by ghosts. Obviously it's the most unlikely situation, but I still find the place itself fascinating, even if it isn't paranormal.

It may be, it may not be. Personally I'd say she was nuts but nothing can be 100% proven, it's not like we can prove she wasn't instructed by ghosts. Obviously it's the most unlikely situation, but I still find the place itself fascinating, even if it isn't paranormal.

normally, something haunted is apparently haunted by something. yer wan was a bit of a looper - I think even records show she was mentally unstable after her husband's death. The place may be fascinating, but its not very related to the paranormal no matter what way you dice it - which normally wouldnt matter etc - but this is a paranormal forum where you'd expect there to be some kind of link.

I think I'll just shut up and sit in the corner as Im beginning to feel like the old nag at a party. These days around here it's getting to be very much that if there's nothing paranormal to discuss, then lets randonly choose things and call them paranormal.

like really - take a good look at this thread and think about what its about.

• Advertisement

Are you sure? Because the people who run it play it off like it's haunted. It's just as relevant as anything else that's been posted so far. Guests have mentioned things happening inside the house.

http://www.yourghoststories.com/famous-ghost-stories/winchester-mystery-house.php
    Some of the current haunting evidence include pages turning on their own, organs playing by themselves, banging doors, voices, dancing spots of light, cold spots and actual sightings of "fog like" people.

I'd say it qualifies just as much as anything else does: it's not like ghosts are proven anyway so literally everything listed in this thread is 100% speculation. I don't see why the Winchester House doesn't fall under Paranormal.

And from another one:
    There have been a number of strange events reported at the Winchester House for many years and they continue to be reported today. Dozens of psychics have visited the house over the years and most have come away convinced, or claim to be convinced, that spirits still wander the place. In addition to the ghost of Sarah Winchester, there have also been many other sightings throughout the years.

In the years that the house has been open to the public, employees and visitors alike have had unusual encounters here. There have been footsteps; banging doors; mysterious voices; windows that bang so hard they shatter; cold spots; strange moving lights; doorknobs that turn by themselves.... and don’t forget the scores of psychics who have their own claims of phenomena to report.

It has just as much 'evidence' (aka, all purely anecdotal) as any other haunted house does.

i hear its got 'No Reservation Costs. Great Rates!' :rolleyes:

too many places are haunted by hearsay. its doing my f*cking nut in the way people in this country are capable of believing anything is haunted if enough people say it is. who needs objectivity anyway? that just gets in the way of a good apparent haunted house.

So you have evidence to say that it isn't haunted then? The one thing that I've found strange about that b'n'b is that it always has no reservations. I don't think I've ever seen otherwise, would be interesting to try and book a room in there sometime.

maccored is just cynical and disillusioned. :p

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Grimes, behave.

Okay Ill be good but this argument is kind of derailing the thread though. Its the same old same old post. But in a quick response Ill just say that a few unconnected people I know from Galway have told me that the place is haunted.

Just because its a B&B we get the rolleyes and jibes about rates. As far as I know it hasnt been investigated by anyone but im sure they have already recieved calls now.

The place may be haunted or it may not be haunted. I will say that there is no smoke without fire,there is also no such things as ghosts but what is the origin of the "haunted" title. Thats what I would like to know, not how much the rates are and obviously thats why its haunted.

*thats just an expansion of my previous post which I had hoped everyone would get out of the 7 words :D

Advertisement