Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penneys Development

Options
  • 30-12-2010 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Anyone know when this development is going ahead or if it is? Its a bloody eyesore down there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Quiet Lurker

carlaboi wrote: »
    Anyone know when this development is going ahead or if it is? Its a bloody eyesore down there.
    Its still stuck in An Bord Pleanala and for some reason they have not even indicated a decision date on the file
    http://pleanala.ie/casenum/236653.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Car park is like baghdad

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MrMcLegend

remember when that was the new shopping centre in the town? ha i remember carol singin down there in primary school! the park was a revelation when it first opened in fairness! think we used t call it jimmys field or somethin before that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

hi any update on the new penny's yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭carlaboi

• Advertisement

could be Din Rii boss??? or is it the house behind penny's as you drive down the hill in the car park????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You can check if there's one name in common.
    ePlanning (click on "Submissions")
    Pleanála

I see the development includes a "landmark" 8 storey building which if it gets built would make it the tallest building in town, 2 or 3 floors higher than Shamrock Plaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Dj

Its still stuck in An Bord Pleanala and for some reason they have not even indicated a decision date on the file
    http://pleanala.ie/casenum/236653.htm
    So this is what is happening with Penneys! Whos the objector?

According to the Bord Pleanala website there is only one objector Catherine Kelly and family must be one of the residents, the other interested parties are just state bodies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

There must be a lot of business people in the town with money tied up in the developement for a jeweller based in Tullow street to be so vocal about the objection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

foggy_lad wrote: »
    There must be a lot of business people in the town with money tied up in the developement for a jeweller based in Tullow street to be so vocal about the objection?

Its not that they have any direct financial interest. The town centre is on its knees. I doubt if any store is making a profit. Staff numbers are at a minimum.

A large pennys store would attract thousands into the centre and give a lift to the area. Hence business would do better, more people would be employed and retailers maight again make a profit.

The proposed Carlow store will be one of the biggest Penneys in the country and would make Carlow a shopping destination once again.

Though why Fairgreen, Carlow SC, The Town Centre Traders & the Retail Park can't joing together to promote Carlow as a shopping destination is beyond my comprehension - It must be the only town in Ireland where a shopping centre, town centre & retail park are all within walking distance. All it would takes is some balls on behalf of the various areas and a free shuttle bus so that you only need to park in one car park to to all your shopping.

But in having experience of some of the vested interests, this will never happen.

BTW - My guess is someone connected to Dunnes are holding up the development.

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »

There's another incentive too, it would bring the commercial centre of town back towards the traditional area. I'm sure many businesses in Tullow St/Dublin St expect they would benefit from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/planning-granted-for-new-penneys-store-in-sligo-510654.html

Penneys have been granted planning for a large store in Sligo.
    I wonder will this have any implications for the proposed re-development of the Carlow store?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/planning-granted-for-new-penneys-store-in-sligo-510654.html

Penneys have been granted planning for a large store in Sligo.
    I wonder will this have any implications for the proposed re-development of the Carlow store?

No, none whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jaycarlow

Why would a pennys store in Sligo impact a proposed store in Carlow??:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

jaycarlow wrote: »

Well 'rolleyes' i asked the question. I thought it was possible because as there doesn't seem to be any movement on the Carlow revamp, they may have said fair enough if we can't upgrade in Carlow we'll invest somewhere else.

I've since learned that Penneys are renovating loads of there outlets all across Europe.

Well 'rolleyes' i asked the question. I thought it was possible because as there doesn't seem to be any movement on the Carlow revamp, they may have said fair enough if we can't upgrade in Carlow we'll invest somewhere else.

I've since learned that Penneys are renovating loads of there outlets all across Europe.

Well Mary W says there is only one objection to the development and its coming from the house behind penny's. They even went so far as to offer him a ton of money to move

Penneys in Carlow is been held up by objections to the planning permission. Once sorted we should know if it will go ahead or not.

Penneys in Carlow is been held up by objections to the planning permission. Once sorted we should know if it will go ahead or not.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

sandin wrote: »
    Its not that they have any direct financial interest. The town centre is on its knees. I doubt if any store is making a profit. Staff numbers are at a minimum.

A large pennys store would attract thousands into the centre and give a lift to the area. Hence business would do better, more people would be employed and retailers maight again make a profit.

The proposed Carlow store will be one of the biggest Penneys in the country and would make Carlow a shopping destination once again.

Though why Fairgreen, Carlow SC, The Town Centre Traders & the Retail Park can't joing together to promote Carlow as a shopping destination is beyond my comprehension - It must be the only town in Ireland where a shopping centre, town centre & retail park are all within walking distance. All it would takes is some balls on behalf of the various areas and a free shuttle bus so that you only need to park in one car park to to all your shopping.

But in having experience of some of the vested interests, this will never happen.

BTW - My guess is someone connected to Dunnes are holding up the development.

When I moved to Carlow in 2004, I seem to recall there was a cheap bus going from the estates to Fairgreen and the town centre but it had to be stopped because of certain brats in a not-so-nice estate throwing stones etc at the bus...

Also, on the subject of the car park, it used to bug me having to pay to park considering the state of it, all the holes in it.

jaycarlow wrote: »

well since every thing is closing down in carlow you'd never kow... Sony is closing down next month

• Advertisement

When I moved to Carlow in 2004, I seem to recall there was a cheap bus going from the estates to Fairgreen and the town centre but it had to be stopped because of certain brats in a not-so-nice estate throwing stones etc at the bus...

Also, on the subject of the car park, it used to bug me having to pay to park considering the state of it, all the holes in it.
    I think the real reason it stopped was because the council's subsidy period expired (had already been extended) and it wasn't viable for the operator (Rapid Express I think) to continue. The routes and schedule also avoided the main industrial estates, which may not have helped.
    I remember they had a lovely brand new 60/70 seater sized bus for a few months after the launch but this was replaced with an older more worn unit from Naas for a brief period before it too was replaced with an equally old and unattractive 30 seater sized vehicle.

Ill assume its Johns Sweeney park your referring to? I lived in southhill in limerick and we had the same but the bus's resumed although on a limited basis. As for the town not joining together?? no there all greedy buggers

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

tonyheaney wrote: »
    Well Mary W says there is only one objection to the development and its coming from the house behind penny's. They even went so far as to offer him a ton of money to move

i think i know the people who live there and they are the salt of the earth people, carlow through and through and they are well within their rights, imagine some english owned corporation wanting you to moved out of your house that you have grown up in for some development, id want 2 tons of money let alone one ton,
    i know people are crying out for this re: jobs and all but what about the smaller traders in the town, why cant we support them first and support their jobs, people assume a few hundred jobs in pennys is really important for the town, if we all shopped from local independant people it would create more jobs than you could imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

, imagine some english owned corporation wanting you to moved out of your house that you have grown up in for some development,

Penny's is Irish. Penny's & Primark head office is operated from Mary Street in Dublin. All their buyers and designers are based there.

Its ultimate shareholder is Galen Weston who is Canadian.

Tax on the profits of all Pennys & Primark outlets throughout Europe are paid into Ireland.

Also, the independent retailers in the town WANT this development as it will bring the shopping area back into the heart of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

maxer68 wrote: »
    Penny's is Irish. Penny's & Primark head office is operated from Mary Street in Dublin. All their buyers and designers are based there.

Its ultimate shareholder is Galen Weston who is Canadian.

Tax on the profits of all Pennys & Primark outlets throughout Europe are paid into Ireland.

Also, the independent retailers in the town WANT this development as it will bring the shopping area back into the heart of the town.

i stand corrected, i just assumed it was english with primark all over england, and on your second point, i suppose at least its not another development on the outskirts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Debenhams have been confirmed for this development with M&S rumored to be interested also, according to The Nationalist.

Looks like the development is going ahead according to todays Nationalst. This is great news for the town!

http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/tabId/369/itemId/10877/Decision-on-80m-town-centre-in-two-months.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

Hold up has been on the developers side NAMA related - Penneys will be effectively exchanging the site for the construction of the new store. Latest I have heard - after many false starts is next January. Undoubtedly it will be a boost to that area of the town which is a bit jayded- however there is a vision required to give the place a shot in the arm - will see if our local elders are up to it - most are second rate duds IMO more fixated with micro level issues and party oneupmanship

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The old L&N is been painted at the moment wasn't there talk Penny's would move in there for the duration of the redevelopment.

• Advertisement

Hold up has been on the developers side NAMA related - Penneys will be effectively exchanging the site for the construction of the new store. Latest I have heard - after many false starts is next January. Undoubtedly it will be a boost to that area of the town which is a bit jayded- however there is a vision required to give the place a shot in the arm - will see if our local elders are up to it - most are second rate duds IMO more fixated with micro level issues and party oneupmanship

where did you get your information?

Advertisement