Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penneys Development

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

The old L&N is been painted at the moment wasn't there talk Penny's would move in there for the duration of the redevelopment.

I had heard the Carlow shopping centre offered them half priced rent if they moved in.

Pennies is the cheapest carpark around I bet that will soon change

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

I got it from someone who knows directly about the transaction not local hearsay which is usually wide of the mark ... I can't comment on the terms of the rent deal as I don't know, I'd reckon penneys held the whip hand though ... Local operators would be small fry to an outfit like them ....

Latest on the Penneys saga is they will be moving after Christmas to the old Super Valu. Development on the site wont commence probably until the second quarter of the year.

A number of big foreign retail chains - most of whom are not in town already - are being linked to the new development. Certainly it will be a definite game changer in terms of Carlow's positioning as a retail destination. Certainly the focus will move from Fairgreen back toward that side of the town.

I just would hope the wider planning piece would be acted upon by the local authority officials - the town as an entity is definitely punching way below its weight and looks decrepit in places despite some well motivated and laudable attempts by the local business community to spruce the place up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Latest on the Penneys saga is they will be moving after Christmas to the old Super Valu. Development on the site wont commence probably until the second quarter of the year.

A number of big foreign retail chains - most of whom are not in town already - are being linked to the new development. Certainly it will be a definite game changer in terms of Carlow's positioning as a retail destination. Certainly the focus will move from Fairgreen back toward that side of the town.

I just would hope the wider planning piece would be acted upon by the local authority officials - the town as an entity is definitely punching way below its weight and looks decrepit in places despite some well motivated and laudable attempts by the local business community to spruce the place up.

You'll excuse one if one doesn't hold ones breath on this; it's a running joke at this stage.

Seems an unfortunate confluence of recession, financing issues, planning delays, trying to sign up tenants etc have all combined to cause delays on this. I suppos Penneys will be paying rent from Jan so that will help move it

Anyway the quality of tenants signed up is high - all major household names and if one who is considering - moves it will be quite a coup for the town

Anyway a bit of good news to end the year all going to plan...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Anyway the quality of tenants signed up is high - all major household names

Who?

Penny's
    TK-Maxx
    H&M
    Boots
    Marks & Spencer

Any of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rum Ham!

Do Penneys own the premises? Couldn't see them getting a bunch of other clothing retailers to move in with them, maybe they don't own it. Would be great to see something start happening.

All of those are amongst those apparently signed with one considering. The won't own the delelopment - some developer up the country is doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It's welcome guys but certainly not going to be the panacea some seem to think. It's not going to huge help Tullow st and surrounds off there on its own in Hanover? There's already a pretty large shopping centre (ex SQ one) lying decimated and half empty- how is adding more going to help?

road_high wrote: »
    It's welcome guys but certainly not going to be the panacea some seem to think. It's not going to huge help Tullow st and surrounds off there on its own in Hanover? There's already a pretty large shopping centre (ex SQ one) lying decimated and half empty- how is adding more going to help?

Standard of stores in the current shopping centre is far too poor to pull in footfall anymore. At least with new stores opening it on the penneys site it will be something for Carlow even if it does kill off an already dying setup in the process

• Advertisement

Rum Ham! wrote: »
    Standard of stores in the current shopping centre is far too poor to pull in footfall anymore. At least with new stores opening it on the penneys site it will be something for Carlow even if it does kill off an already dying setup in the process

Fair enough Penneys, they're already there. But county the shopping centre be rejuvenated, units made bigger and those stores could go in there.

Read there is talk of the council looking to upgrade Tullow St streetscape- if one doesn't exist, an actual proper development plan should be put together- if not that upgrade is a sticking plaster gesture

Dough nutting of town centres is a well established phenomenon esp in the UK - if all the stores are in retail parks what does one expect. Kilkenny to be fair seems to have got the balance correct - eg the Fairgreen is actually 3 developments if you include the adjacent Next and woodies stores - poor planning or what? Out of town has a function for maybe car dealerships, furniture etc but for regular consumer retail should be a no no going forward.

The council should also try to poach the likes of Dunnes into co Carlow with a rates holiday or some such - if in time thy could be attracted to the Carlow shopping centre they would be a real boost - parked just over the county bounds in Laois means we get nothing anyway so they could be a magnet for town centre trade

The tullow st old Ritz site is very big and was being assembled down to College/
    Brown st with a view to create a retail / residential centre - that would revitalise that area if it could be reactivated. Also with decentralisation the original plan was the government office would be in the town hall car park - would 100 posts if ever relocated to an office there not provide a shot in the arm for town centre retail ?

The IT is a huge element in the town - again as posters have suggested here before could thy be invited to have some presence in the town centre? The old library on Dublin st could be gifted to them? A better link up with St Pats?

It is time for the elected gob$ ites on the Council to earn their corn ... The town is punching way below its weight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

The council should also try to poach the likes of Dunnes into co Carlow with a rates holiday or some such - if in time thy could be attracted to the Carlow shopping centre they would be a real boost - parked just over the county bounds in Laois means we get nothing anyway so they could be a magnet for town centre trade

There's no way the old Superquinn premises is big enough for Dunnes Supermarket and clothes stores - in-fact, would it even be big enough for one of them? You can be certain it is of utmost importance to Dunnes to keep them together.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    There's no way the old Superquinn premises is big enough for Dunnes Supermarket and clothes stores - in-fact, would it even be big enough for one of them? You can be certain it is of utmost importance to Dunnes to keep them together.

There's absolutely no chance of Dunnes moving, their flagship store in Graigue does a roaring trade because of its convenient location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Penney's staff were told before Christmas that they would be moving early in 2017.

The redevelopment is to include the old Hannover Shopping Centre (thank fcuk).

Article on KCLR today about it..."

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This thread started 6 years ago today shows how long this has been on hold held up etc.

Guess they will be hoping to be open for next Christmas.

This thread started 6 years ago today shows how long this has been on hold held up etc.

Guess they will be hoping to be open for next Christmas.

Nope; it'll be a 2.5 year lead-in.

What I can't figure out is if it's Carlow S.C. they're moving to or Penny Lane because S.V. means both locations to me.......

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Nope; it'll be a 2.5 year lead-in.

What I can't figure out is if it's Carlow S.C. they're moving to or Penny Lane because S.V. means both locations to me.......

Carlow S.C I was told

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Been told that penny's have signed a 3 year contract with Carlow shopping centre to move into the old superquinn premise from march onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So the guts of 3 years to redevelop the Penneys site that is going to be some work carried out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭EmoCourt

Are Debenhams still being linked to the redeveloped store? I know their stores went into examinership in 2016, but maybe that was to get a better rental deal.

EmoCourt wrote: »
    Are Debenhams still being linked to the redeveloped store? I know their stores went into examinership in 2016, but maybe that was to get a better rental deal.

With stores barely threading water across Ireland, hard to see why they'd come to Carlow?

Saw some pictures of the proposed redevelopment on fb earlier. Can't say I'm overly impressed. One of the pictures reminded me of the post office building.

While on theme of Penneys, when redevelopment goes ahead, the St. Patricks Day Parade Cttee. may be in a bit of a bind depending on start date.

For those with a long memory, when Quinnsworth was in to the L.H.S. & Lifestyle to the R.H.S. & Penneys was "only" in the Middle, were the two "Concession Stores" there?

Might the one on the R.H.S.'ve been a newsagents briefly or is my mind playing tricks on me?

Also anyone remember the toilets?

When or why were they closed off to the public?

Not sure of year but I vaguely recall a case being taken against the site owners (?) about someone having sat down in the ladies & due to a chemical residue remaining on the toilet seat, having her rear-end burnt off of her..........can't remember other details.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭CarlowPerth

A good news story for Carlow and all I have seen on social media is negativity. Typical of the attitude in the town and the reason Carlow is where it is at the moment.

This development is good news for the town no matter how long its taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭CarlowPerth

A good news story for Carlow and all I have seen on social media is negativity. Typical of the attitude in the town and the reason Carlow is where it is at the moment.
    This development is good news for the town no matter how long its taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Owryan wrote: »
    Saw some pictures of the proposed redevelopment on fb earlier. Can't say I'm overly impressed. One of the pictures reminded me of the post office building.

Where did you see the proposed development? what page?

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Where did you see the proposed development? what page?

They are/were up on the fb page of a town councillor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    While on theme of Penneys, when redevelopment goes ahead, the St. Patricks Day Parade Cttee. may be in a bit of a bind depending on start date.

For those with a long memory, when Quinnsworth was in to the L.H.S. & Lifestyle to the R.H.S. & Penneys was "only" in the Middle, were the two "Concession Stores" there?

Might the one on the R.H.S.'ve been a newsagents briefly or is my mind playing tricks on me?

Also anyone remember the toilets?

When or why were they closed off to the public?

Not sure of year but I vaguely recall a case being taken against the site owners (?) about someone having sat down in the ladies & due to a chemical residue remaining on the toilet seat, having her rear-end burnt off of her..........can't remember other details.

Yes, Quinnsworth to the left, Pennys in the middle, and house and home / Lifestyle to the right.
    The 2 smaller units to the left and right of the door were an off license to the left, and a newsagent to the right. Both were ran be Quinnsworth iirc.
    I remember about someone getting burned in the jacks by a chemical residue too.

Advertisement