Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penneys Development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Wasn't there a separate area/building that had a restaurant on the back of where Italian Connection would be now? Vaguely remember it, wooden stools and tile floors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

road_high wrote: »
    Wasn't there a separate area/building that had a restaurant on the back of where Italian Connection would be now? Vaguely remember it, wooden stools and tile floors.

Hanover Shopping Centre is what I think you're talking about?

It led out onto Burrin St.; that entrance is all overgrown now.

There was a shop that sold snooker & pool equipment & boxing gear, a (green) grocers, a restaurant in the unit itself (which had a corridor down the middle of it) & there was the pram & buggy shop there too.

Can't recall what the other units housed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Katz was the restaurant. Cooneys sports shop was there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

There was a salon there anyway.

Can't add beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,629 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There was a butchers as well in the Hanover shopping centre part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

There was cooneys, a pram place, a wool shop (which was a paint shop at one point), a deli type place (country kitchen maybe?). All were outside.
    Inside was a hair studio, a butchers, and Katz. I think there was only Katz on the right as it had the outside shops backing onto it. I'm not sure if there was more than the butcher and hair place opposite Katz.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Snaffles2014

There was cooneys, a pram place, a wool shop (which was a paint shop at one point), a deli type place (country kitchen maybe?). All were outside.
    Inside was a hair studio, a butchers, and Katz. I think there was only Katz on the right as it had the outside shops backing onto it. I'm not sure if there was more than the butcher and hair place opposite Katz.

And all of these are closed now so yeah?

And all of these are closed now so yeah?

Most if not all have been closed for close to 20 years I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Most if not all have been closed for close to 20 years I'd say.
    Some of them were still there 14 years ago, I got my daughters pram in the pram centre, and she's 14.I think it was open for a year or 2 after that. Nicest woman you could meet. I think Cooneys was the last to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kilkea

The old L&N is been painted at the moment wasn't there talk Penny's would move in there for the duration of the redevelopment.

Was told during the week that TK Maxx are going to take the old L&N building on Tullow St. They had been pushing to get in to Carlow SC but with Penneys after signing a 3 year lease there it seems that they are going in to the L&N now instead. I know the building was painted up some time ago but there was some guys working on the exterior this week.
    If it does go ahead I assume it will be a while yet as I would think the fitout and upgrade of that building will be quite a job.
    Anyone else hear the same rumour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

haven't heard it, but would love TK Maxx in Carlow! here's hoping.

kilkea wrote: »
    Was told during the week that TK Maxx are going to take the old L&N building on Tullow St. They had been pushing to get in to Carlow SC but with Penneys after signing a 3 year lease there it seems that they are going in to the L&N now instead. I know the building was painted up some time ago but there was some guys working on the exterior this week.
    If it does go ahead I assume it will be a while yet as I would think the fitout and upgrade of that building will be quite a job.
    Anyone else hear the same rumour?

Would be a great boost for that part of Carlow, which has been decimated in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Doors in Superquinn/Supervalu were blacked (or indeed whited) out today & lights on inside so fitting out/stocking must be started.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Doors in Superquinn/Supervalu were blacked (or indeed whited) out today & lights on inside so fitting out/stocking must be started.

Must be a year closed now...I'd say the other tenants are relieved to get something in there.

denis160 wrote: »
    haven't heard it, but would love TK Maxx in Carlow! here's hoping.
    Same hear, I'd love to see TK Maxx in Carlow, it would really be a great addition
    Nokia6230i wrote: »

Must be a year closed now...I'd say the other tenants are relieved to get something in there.
    I'd say it can't happen fast enough for them. I've been making a conscious effort to try and do business in there but the footfall is really low.

The old SQ/SV unit is ideal for a TK Maxx and would solve the problem of that dying shopping centre.

Not sure which rumour is true to be honest but the old L&N site/Penny Lane site is roughly about half the size as the old SuperQuinn/Super Value/Carlow Shopping Centre site, is that fair to say. So would Penny Lane be big enough for Penneys? I wouldn't have thought so, Could see a small TK Maxx in there though.

Not sure which rumour is true to be honest but the old L&N site/Penny Lane site is roughly about half the size as the old SuperQuinn/Super Value/Carlow Shopping Centre site, is that fair to say. So would Penny Lane be big enough for Penneys? I wouldn't have thought so, Could see a small TK Maxx in there though.
    Penneys have signed a 3 year lease on the old Superquinn store, so that seems to be going ahead.
    The rumour is that TKMaxx will go in to the L&N

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Pennys were going to move to Penny Lane when this was originally meant to go ahea but superquinn freed up since then

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rum Ham!

Would be great to see TKMaxx (or anyone) going into Penny Lane

• Advertisement

Darrers with two floors would have been prefect for TK Maxx.

SuperQuinn size wish would have been prefect.

The L&N is to small for a well stocked TK Maxx I think.

The rumour is that TKMaxx will go in to the L&N

Some work being done to Penny Lane recently, painting etc. so could be something to that alright. If it were going to be TK Maxx (or any store) then you'd imagine the park wouldn't be available anymore there, for customer use only so people currently using it will need an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It certainly looks impressive

http://jrnl.ie/3207969f

Looks good. Carlow will be the shopping capital of the south east and south Leinster once this all opens.

Looks good. Carlow will be the shopping capital of the south east and south Leinster once this all opens.

I could not agree more. Carlow has failed to build a strong industry base (with the exception of a small number of great companies like Netwatch & MSD), but if it can position itself as a destination for retail then it could build around that. It has the enviable position of sitting on a new motorway and only being an hour or so from Dublin, so it has the potential, but local business & council need to get the finger out and start working together seriously. For example, we have an arts festival (whether you are in to it or not), yet you do not see any of the businesses taking advantage of it. Next time it is on have a look to see who is running special offers in conjunction with it (discounted hotel packages, special restaurant deals etc)....nobody!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rum Ham!

Looks very impressive, to be open for Christmas 2018! It will be great for Carlow to attract more people to the town

I could not agree more. Carlow has failed to build a strong industry base (with the exception of a small number of great companies like Netwatch & MSD), but if it can position itself as a destination for retail then it could build around that. It has the enviable position of sitting on a new motorway and only being an hour or so from Dublin, so it has the potential, but local business & council need to get the finger out and start working together seriously. For example, we have an arts festival (whether you are in to it or not), yet you do not see any of the businesses taking advantage of it. Next time it is on have a look to see who is running special offers in conjunction with it (discounted hotel packages, special restaurant deals etc)....nobody!

I live in Kilkenny but lot of Carlow connections. 25 years ago it was sort of the other way around. Kk was struggling, Carlow had numerous strong industries.
    It's gone the other way now though. It's like Carlow entered self destruct mode or something. It's been unable to caplitslise all those advantages at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I live in Kilkenny but lot of Carlow connections. 25 years ago it was sort of the other way around. Kk was struggling, Carlow had numerous strong industries.
    It's gone the other way now though. It's like Carlow entered self destruct mode or something. It's been unable to caplitslise all those advantages at all really.

My wife is from the area, I am not myself.

I was wandering around the town a few times in November, and again over Christmas.

I'd completely agree. The town centre is so quiet, but there could be a gorgeous town.

For example Dublin Street, gorgeous street, gorgeous buildings, so much potential - but the shops are charity shop, hairdresser, charity shop, hairdresser, pound shop hairdresser......and in the middle of it all the Cigar Divan. There are photos in some of the shops of what Dublin street USED to look like, and it was a fantastic thriving street, and still should be.

No doubt the new shopping centre will be cool and funky for the first five six years, but a lot of these shopping centres don't age well.

Whereas a beautiful street with fine old buildings - you know it will age very well with the right investment, right shops and people shopping in them

• Advertisement

Picture for those that can't open link.

image.jpg

Advertisement