Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penneys Development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

It is indeed the Ridge; they were hiring for Carlow recently; they've a store in Liffey Valley & I think Newbridge or Naas also?

Bog Man 1 wrote: »
    Looks like more shody garden furniture and household items that will end up in landfill after a few years . The only way Tullow St will ever prosper again is if they introduce a dress code at both ends of it .It is fair bad when I am not the worst dressed person on the street with people attempting to give me money and Romanians telling me to get off their patch .
    Seriously I would dress up to go to Kildare Village or even Kilkenny but there is no incentive to do so for Tullow St .
    I would get my hair cut with Tara and Annmarie get gadgets fixed in the Gadget repair shop and I would get a few bits and pieces in DEALZ .

The what now?

Crikey on Tullow St. it's 99% Irish beggars.

Yer man outside Dealz is extracting the urine; he's there 7 days & when Soup Kitchen opens he heads away on down there for the free grub at 12:30pm.

Back in position by 1pm Lunch O'Clock & there's someone takes over from him while he's away.

From speaking to him a number of times over last few years (because I thought my ears deceived me first time) he's making between €60-€90 on a bad day & €90-€150 on a good day.

He's also on the social & the benefits that accrues and he doesn't strike me as someone who's an addict of any sort; he lives in Riverdell as far as I know.

He's getting all this money for sitting on his thóin and yet further on down the street on occasion there's a number of buskers around Haddens/Shaws who barely get a look in.

At least they're singing for his supper; I'd be more inclined to support them.

Then there's yer man who was arrested for dealing and yet can be seen regularly tapping people up on Tullow St. @ ALDI, Centra, Dinn Ri etc.; same guy's outside Bank of Ireland too now + again.

There's the M&F couple who sit either side of Tullow St. @ Dinn Ri too or sometimes at the entrance to it and sometimes they're at either side of McDonalds too.

There's yer man with the long coat, hi-viz jacket who taps people for 2e & whatever he gets he hits up the nearest bookies.

I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two if not more.

During Pan Celtic a Taste of Carlow I did notice an upsurge in tapping and for first time in a long while saw Big Issue being sold by some Romanians but they seemed to be ran as they were on Paddy & Micks "pitch" yet their credentials for selling checked out.

Occasionally outside Post Office there's an Irish man (50s maybe?) selling Big Issue too.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,629 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I also heard today that Crotty's on Tullow St might finally be developed soon. I know I heard that for years now but I think there might be something to this.

That would be great for Tullow St. It's a total eyesore for the guts of two decades now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

I also heard today that Crotty's on Tullow St might finally be developed soon. I know I heard that for years now but I think there might be something to this.

Might be alright a company that is ment to be going into penny's are looking at plan B. But parking at Crotty's is an issue an that has stop some development over the years on that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That would be great for Tullow St. It's a total eyesore for the guts of two decades now.

Instead of allowing PP for half empty retail parks allover the place, Carlow (and Laois) Councils should have been focusing on key brown field sites in and around Carlow town centre, just like this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Choose The Red Pill

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    The what now?

Crikey on Tullow St. it's 99% Irish beggars.

Yer man outside Dealz is extracting the urine; he's there 7 days & when Soup Kitchen opens he heads away on down there for the free grub at 12:30pm.

Back in position by 1pm Lunch O'Clock & there's someone takes over from him while he's away.

From speaking to him a number of times over last few years (because I thought my ears deceived me first time) he's making between €60-€90 on a bad day & €90-€150 on a good day.

He's also on the social & the benefits that accrues and he doesn't strike me as someone who's an addict of any sort; he lives in Riverdell as far as I know.

He's getting all this money for sitting on his thóin and yet further on down the street on occasion there's a number of buskers around Haddens/Shaws who barely get a look in.

I talked to him a few times meself couldnt beleve how young he was when he told us looks in his 50s but is his late 30s making a decent scratch alright but he told me at least once a day members of a irish community walk past him and kick him full force in the head and tak whatever money he has. I said to him why he doesn't move on or report it he would answer that. Seeing all the begging on tullow sreet is part of thee reason me and the mrs never realy shop there unless we need to get sumthing that can't get anywhere else a lot of the neigbours feel the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Such bad news on the development front. I feel like Carlow could be a great town, it’s got a decent population but the town is far too sprawling and it disperses the foot traffic too thinly.

The shopping centre would act as a hub for the southeast. There is no where near as easily accessible for shopping, literally 5mins off the M9 and you’d be there. It’s like the chicken and egg argument now, need people to justify the centre, need the centre to attract the people.

Good news about the new tenants in Four Lakes, it’ll be a great boost for the shops currently there (I personally love that Army supply shop) and also, fair play to Currys for not upping sticks and leaving!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

The latest on Penneys is the developer is apparently having difficulty in moving on the project - banks are not as flaithuil as they were during the Celtic tiger era. I believe all parties are committed to proceeding however this issue has proven a recurrent stumbling block. I believe Penneys, who moved on the expectation things were ready to roll at Hanover, are happy where they currently are and may be looking to expand the shop for the duration of their stay there.

The latest on Penneys is the developer is apparently having difficulty in moving on the project - banks are not as flaithuil as they were during the Celtic tiger era. I believe all parties are committed to proceeding however this issue has proven a recurrent stumbling block. I believe Penneys, who moved on the expectation things were ready to roll at Hanover, are happy where they currently are and may be looking to expand the shop for the duration of their stay there.

Where do you get this kind of info?

Also, I'm sure if the centre does get the ok, Pennys would not dream of pulling out of the anchorage.

Retailing currently is not looking great- far too many still empty units allover the place- the south east and south Leinster area in particular are overflowing with retail- look at all the major towns- Carlow, Kilkenny, Portlaoise, Newbridge, Waterford, not to mention Dublin, all have major shopping developments within the past 15 years all competing for the same pool of shoppers in the face of ever increasing online shopping.
    Is adding even more right to the middle of all that a sound business decision. I'm skeptical and no doubt the banks are too....

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    Retailing currently is not looking great- far too many still empty units allover the place- the south east and south Leinster area in particular are overflowing with retail- look at all the major towns- Carlow, Kilkenny, Portlaoise, Newbridge, Waterford, not to mention Dublin, all have major shopping developments within the past 15 years all competing for the same pool of shoppers in the face of ever increasing online shopping.
    Is adding even more right to the middle of all that a sound business decision. I'm skeptical and no doubt the banks are too....

You have a valid point however on the other hand there is a vast gap between shopping centres in the towns you listed Newbridge is really the only real option for many. Kilkenny, Portlaoise and Waterford don’t have the most comprehensive centres.

Carlow has a large catchment but it’s missing that hook to get people to come, I could be looking at it through rose tinted lenses a little but theres no way you could build a centre like that and not get shoppers. Athlone town centre is a good example of a shopping centre in a town comparable to Carlow. Carlow is a very busy town but as I say it’s all very dispersed.

You have a valid point however on the other hand there is a vast gap between shopping centres in the towns you listed Newbridge is really the only real option for many. Kilkenny, Portlaoise and Waterford don’t have the most comprehensive centres.

Carlow has a large catchment but it’s missing that hook to get people to come, I could be looking at it through rose tinted lenses a little but theres no way you could build a centre like that and not get shoppers. Athlone town centre is a good example of a shopping centre in a town comparable to Carlow. Carlow is a very busy town but as I say it’s all very dispersed.

They actually do for their populations and catchments. Not just talking about the traditional Shopping Centre, also retail parks, stand alone stores and High st shopping is also a major component.
    Carlow is full of shopping- it's just the way it's dispersed all over the place that makes it totally lack cohesion. 3 large retail parks, 2 shopping centres, plus town centre stuff. That's why I like the way Penneys moved in and revitalized a struggling SC.
    If you look at Athlone, that part of the country is not as over supplied as here with major retail. Apart from the 2 shopping centres, Athlone town centre is a desert and not one I'd like to copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

I know someone in the know - not hearsay or the usual local gossip - stacks up anyway developers need to bring equity to the table before banks will lend the balance of the money - the days of 100% bank financing are over - even in Dublin where commercial development is on surer ground 'private equity' is bankrolling schemes. Carlow to be fair would be a slightly tougher 'sell'. As I said the understanding originally was work would be well underway on the site by now, the ball is now in the developers court so will have to see how things progress. What I will say the site is by any objective yardstick a tremendous one so you would have to be hopeful it will move at some point. I will post when I hear further.

Range are hoping to create 80 full and part time positions when they open at the old Homebase site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭screamer

I know someone in the know - not hearsay or the usual local gossip - stacks up anyway developers need to bring equity to the table before banks will lend the balance of the money - the days of 100% bank financing are over - even in Dublin where commercial development is on surer ground 'private equity' is bankrolling schemes. Carlow to be fair would be a slightly tougher 'sell'. As I said the understanding originally was work would be well underway on the site by now, the ball is now in the developers court so will have to see how things progress. What I will say the site is by any objective yardstick a tremendous one so you would have to be hopeful it will move at some point. I will post when I hear further.

Yes I heard this too from someone in the know. The amount of vacant retail in Carlow is not helping. Tbh developing the old Penney's site will do to fair green what fair green did to the superquinn centre. I think a town centre hotel complex would be a better use of that space than another shopping centre.

Range are hoping to create 80 full and part time positions when they open at the old Homebase site.

I've applied for these roles but unsure if I've done it right; I went with Retailjobs@welfare.ie & an e-mail for the Range from their website.

Anyone any alternative suggestions?

Thought KCLR'd have a link in the story on their website or social media feeds; would've made sense.

Work seems to be furious in Four Lakes getting Range ready, must have been 15 vans there this morning.

Anyone know of the planned opening date?

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭radharc

Penneys’ development delayed for at least a year according to the Nationalist. Now targeting an opening for Christmas 2019

radharc wrote: »
    Penneys’ development delayed for at least a year according to the Nationalist. Now targeting an opening for Christmas 2019

I really really want it to happen but I wont believe it will be built until I see work happening on the site.

I'd say Penny's themselves are very content where they are now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'd say Penny's themselves are very content where they are now.

I'm hearing mixed reviews on the store. Seems some folk liken it to a warehouse and not very appealing. I like it myself but then I guess in comparison to the old kip that wouldn't be hard.

It would be great to see this development happen but I can't help but feel that even if it did it would end up run down and filled with to let signs and broken windows.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    ...It would be great to see this development happen but I can't help but feel that even if it did it would end up run down and filled with to let signs and broken windows.

I actually think the opposite, there isnt much between Newbridge and Waterford except for Kilkenny which isnt really worth the trip. Carlow has an enormous catchment and it's accessible in minutes off the M9.

Any new shopping centre with a half decent anchor will attract the crowds. Sure The Range seems to be very busy every weekend since it opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I actually think the opposite, there isnt much between Newbridge and Waterford except for Kilkenny which isnt really worth the trip. Carlow has an enormous catchment and it's accessible in minutes off the M9.

Any new shopping centre with a half decent anchor will attract the crowds. Sure The Range seems to be very busy every weekend since it opened.

The one thing you skipped over there is that Carlow isn't a particularly nice town (I don't mean any offence, blame your planners) and it certainly isn't car friendly particularly where they plan on building the development. Kilkenny on the other hand is a nice town with similar parking issues but a well positioned shopping centre similar distance off the motorway and seems to be doing well.

I guess it's success would depend on the tenants but there's plenty of opportunity for large chains to move into Carlow yet they don't seem to be arriving. I wonder why?

Last thing Carlow needs is another shopping centre. When so much of the existing retail is empty I think that should be a clue as to why developers are reticent to build more.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

this would tie alot of the older retial together, tesco woddies and carlow shopping centre all withing 5 min walk and all with parking of their own, it could make the town more popluar for shopping if it attracts the likes of m and s and boots

I'm hearing mixed reviews on the store. Seems some folk liken it to a warehouse and not very appealing. I like it myself but then I guess in comparison to the old kip that wouldn't be hard.

It would be great to see this development happen but I can't help but feel that even if it did it would end up run down and filled with to let signs and broken windows.

If Penney's were to make it permanent they'd no doubt fully upgrade the shop fixtures and fittings. It's not bad at all though.

The one thing you skipped over there is that Carlow isn't a particularly nice town (I don't mean any offence, blame your planners) and it certainly isn't car friendly particularly where they plan on building the development. Kilkenny on the other hand is a nice town with similar parking issues but a well positioned shopping centre similar distance off the motorway and seems to be doing well.

I guess it's success would depend on the tenants but there's plenty of opportunity for large chains to move into Carlow yet they don't seem to be arriving. I wonder why?

This.

An example is the one way systems; do they benefit motorists? I'm not one so I don't know.

I do know if I was coming across Brown St. and had to go left down College St., left again by Court Pl. onto Dublin St., left again onto Kennedy Ave. & left onto Potato Market to go left (or right) onto Tullow St. I'd be fairly miffed.

College St. used to be two way up & down odd and all as it seems now.

I know you can use Bridewell Lane to access Haddens Car park to avoid Kennedy Ave. but it's six of one....

One use to be able come up Tullow St. off of Dublin St. too when there was two-way traffic.

But nope, some traffic planner said sod this, we'll make it more difficult for motorists and push them further out such that it's handier to get to retail parks instead of staying town centre.........

The lack of connectivity with the town Centre and the Fairgreen is stark. If you didn’t know Carlow you’d have no idea either existed if visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

i find the lay out of kilkenny and carlow very similar, two main shopping streets, a couple of shopping centres very central, housing estates and retail parks on the outskirts, pretty much the same as any town,

• Advertisement

i find the lay out of kilkenny and carlow very similar, two main shopping streets, a couple of shopping centres very central, housing estates and retail parks on the outskirts, pretty much the same as any town,

Apart from the fact that Kilkenny is beautiful, steeped in history (and marketed likewise) and the footpaths are not humpier then the hunchback or Notre Dame.

You cant compare the two towns, I dont hear of too many people going for 'a romantic weekend to Carlow'.

Advertisement