Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penneys Development

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I see that house of tiles premisis at the junction of barrack street and tullow street is up for sale.

would love to it bought and converted into a pedestrian link from the back of the fairgreen linking to the top of the tullow street. Would be an opportunity to get more footfall onto the main street,

I got mildly excited to see a notification pop up for this thread thinking there was a juicy update.

You can imagine my disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

I see that house of tiles premisis at the junction of barrack street and tullow street is up for sale.

would love to it bought and converted into a pedestrian link from the back of the fairgreen linking to the top of the tullow street. Would be an opportunity to get more footfall onto the main street,

That premises has been up for sale since approx start 2005 and I don't see it being bought anytime soon based on the price that was being asked for it a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Jed and Dave

I got mildly excited to see a notification pop up for this thread thinking there was a juicy update.

You can imagine my disappointment.

sorry for getting your hopes up soupy! :rolleyes::D perhaps i posted in the wrong thread. yeah cant see who'd buy that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

The site has been for sale years now. There was a problem with the yard space that a few buyers pulled out over during the years maybe that's all sorted now. I can't see much going into the building

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The amount large empty buildings & sites on the two main streets in Carlow Town from the Courthouse down Dublin St up Tullow Street to Shamrock Square is crazy.

That doesn't include all the empty ones on all the side streets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

This is now dead in the water- Primark now going to refurbish the old shop and car park. I’d have thought it easier for them stay in Carlow SC? Or maybe they own the building and site

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

road_high wrote: »
    This is now dead in the water- Primark now going to refurbish the old shop and car park. I’d have thought it easier for them stay in Carlow SC? Or maybe they own the building and site

Who was telling you this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Can I have all the info you can give me on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

BDI wrote: »
    Can I have all the info you can give me on this?

It’s the front page of the nationalist today. A new planning application has been lodged with Carlow Co. Council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

radharc wrote: »
    It’s the front page of the nationalist today. A new planning application has been lodged with Carlow Co. Council.

Ok, so won’t be happening for at least a year I take it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Front page of the Nationalist today > https://www.facebook.com/CarlowNationalist/photos/a.240867515975175/2675639952497907/?type=3&theater

Plus Page 20 (Planning Notices) in Classifieds Section of Go 2 Section); it's not yet live on Council Website yet; should also be site notices for anyone going between Kennedy Ave./Kilkenny Rd. and also at Burrin St.

Refurb of existing store 3,892 Sq. Metres, new plant buildings (29.16 Sq. M), replacement roof, new signage, new canopy to loading bay (the one round the side as the exit begins to incline in on R.H.S. or L.H.S. coming down off of Kilkenny Rd.), provision of 47 car parking spaces (this is in addition to current allocation I'd imagine) incl. 3 Disabled Bay Parking Spaces (again I'm presuming this is in addition to current allocation of same), 15 new bicycle stands (new because also there weren't/aren't any to begin with), upgrade of existing car parking surface, landscaping & entrance to store, TEMPORARY HOARDING TO ADJACENT PROPERTIES and all associated works.......

KCLR News @ 6 O'Clock this evening indicated it'd be a 2 year lead in so A/W 2021 perhaps.......

Will be curious to see what Carlow S.C. get as a replacement once that happens.

Who was telling you this?

Front page of today’s Nationalist- the article was surprisingly thorough and informative for them- looks like they went out and did actual research and spoke to architects etc involved! It’s a pity but seemed inevitable as that develop clearly hadn’t the funding needed. I think a concerted plan is needed to revive Carlow town centre now rather than more potential white elephants. The days of new massive shopping centres are over really, shopping habits have changed. Going forward I think we’ll see smaller niche developments with more emphasis on leisure rather than physical stores selling things

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Front page of the Nationalist today > https://www.facebook.com/CarlowNationalist/photos/a.240867515975175/2675639952497907/?type=3&theater

Plus Page 20 (Planning Notices) in Classifieds Section of Go 2 Section); it's not yet live on Council Website yet; should also be site notices for anyone going between Kennedy Ave./Kilkenny Rd. and also at Burrin St.

Refurb of existing store 3,892 Sq. Metres, new plant buildings (29.16 Sq. M), replacement roof, new signage, new canopy to loading bay (the one round the side as the exit begins to incline in on R.H.S. or L.H.S. coming down off of Kilkenny Rd.), provision of 47 car parking spaces (this is in addition to current allocation I'd imagine) incl. 3 Disabled Bay Parking Spaces (again I'm presuming this is in addition to current allocation of same), 15 new bicycle stands (new because also there weren't/aren't any to begin with), upgrade of existing car parking surface, landscaping & entrance to store, TEMPORARY HOARDING TO ADJACENT PROPERTIES and all associated works.......

KCLR News @ 6 O'Clock this evening indicated it'd be a 2 year lead in so A/W 2021 perhaps.......

Will be curious to see what Carlow S.C. get as a replacement once that happens.

I’m old enough to remember when Carlow SC opened and it was a real classy little spot with great tenants and very busy. So much so they had to build the multi storey.
    A great shame to see the way it was let slide over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

I’m old enough to remember when Carlow SC opened and it was a real classy little spot with great tenants and very busy. So much so they had to build the multi storey.
    A great shame to see the way it was let slide over the years.

From the days of Peadar & Etta Doyles (now a Centz Shop....) to Chartbusters/Blockbusters (empty since it closed), Little Tots Montessori/Creche (Christian Church upstairs on first floor now...), Wigoders (most recently ABC Blinds), the Cafe (can't remember various names it's been under over years; but for a while in recent years there was no cafe actually operating in between tenants) and Superquinn; they were the mainstays in my memory along with Peter Marks.

How we shop and what we're shopping for has changed yet many on & off line think we should be back selling VHS & VCRs or similar.

When Penneys relocates in 2021 Carlow S.C. management'd better be sure of an anchor tenant with serious pull; otherwise they'll end up like the American Malls on DeadMalls.com.

Since the owners (Thomas Holdings if I've name right) are, I think, the same, might TK Maxx and/or Homesense be leaned upon to open there instead of building a new premises in Hanover Retail Pk.?

Though perhaps the unit in Carlow S.C. would be too small to accommodate either much less both and I think they come as a pair in any case.

As it is the Fairgreen has 2 vacant units in Phase 1, Phase 2 was never completely filled and the Barrack St. side property they're proposing to demolish & rebuild has no specific tenant or tenants in place.....

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It would be better for the town if TX Max went into the Superquinn instead of building another retail store for a town the size of Carlow there are way too many retail parks in anyway.

Homebase could surely find space in one of the many empty units already in Carlow.

It would be better for the town if TX Max went into the Superquinn instead of building another retail store for a town the size of Carlow there are way too many retail parks in anyway.

Homebase could surely find space in one of the many empty units already in Carlow.

I thought that was a crazy idea given how much retail space is empty around Carlow still- lumping more on top of it makes no sense. TK Maxx would work well in the Carlow SC unit, I'D say it's plenty big for the typical TK Maxx Homesense store.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    From the days of Peadar & Etta Doyles (now a Centz Shop....) to Chartbusters/Blockbusters (empty since it closed), Little Tots Montessori/Creche (Christian Church upstairs on first floor now...), Wigoders (most recently ABC Blinds), the Cafe (can't remember various names it's been under over years; but for a while in recent years there was no cafe actually operating in between tenants) and Superquinn; they were the mainstays in my memory along with Peter Marks.

How we shop and what we're shopping for has changed yet many on & off line think we should be back selling VHS & VCRs or similar.

When Penneys relocates in 2021 Carlow S.C. management'd better be sure of an anchor tenant with serious pull; otherwise they'll end up like the American Malls on DeadMalls.com.

Since the owners (Thomas Holdings if I've name right) are, I think, the same, might TK Maxx and/or Homesense be leaned upon to open there instead of building a new premises in Hanover Retail Pk.?

Though perhaps the unit in Carlow S.C. would be too small to accommodate either much less both and I think they come as a pair in any case.

As it is the Fairgreen has 2 vacant units in Phase 1, Phase 2 was never completely filled and the Barrack St. side property they're proposing to demolish & rebuild has no specific tenant or tenants in place.....

The coffee shop/restaurant was a Bewleys same as in Kilkenny and they were lovely outlets at the time. Carlow SC has never been the same and is a poor imitiation of what went before. Not very enticing to bother with tbh

Advertisement