Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best player of my lifetime

• 30-12-2010 6:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

Following on from Gimmick's excellent team of your lifetime thread it's now time for the best player of your lifetime thread.

I'm following football since about 1999 and the best player I've ever seen was Ronaldo. I think he was the most natural striker the game ever saw. He had power, pace and pure ability that would frighten any defence in the world. I think his performance in 2003 against Man United was the best display I've seen from a striker on the big stage. His performance throughout the 2002 World Cup was a joy to behold and he got redemption for 1998, not that he had anything to prove, the man did have convulsive fit after all.

When I see people making a mockery of him, calling him fat Ronaldo and disgusts me. He was such a great player and so many people fail to realise how good he was. I'd guarantee if he had spent 2 or 3 seasons in the premiership he'd have been hailed as the all time best ever yet to a lot of followers of the English game he means relatively little, a footnote even.

Lets not forget that this man came back from knee reconstructions three times and is still playing. That's an achievement in itself. If he didn't have the injury problems and if he'd looked after himself better he'd be hailed as one of the all time greats. He really was that good.

The other contenders were Zinedine Zidane and Leo Messi but I think Zizou was too inconsistent and Messi needs another 2 or 3 great years and to win something internationally to be beat Ronaldo in my opinion.

Poll is up, vote for who you like I'm going to extend it back until about 1980 because of the different ages of forum members and tell us why you think yoour choice is the greatest player of you lifetime.

Best player of your lifetime? 206 votes

Ronaldo
    0%
    Lionel Messi
    16%
    DempseyChucky the treewoodygmicksziedthchopperbyrneCorkMandor83judas101BlowfishPeyton ManningArsenal1986redzerdrogqwertplaywertIvySlayerMrStuffinsSlickRicTanG411HalloweenJackHandsome Bob 33 votes
    Zinedine Zidane
    25%
    RasTaFenixniallithSuprSiChardee MacDennisMr.Nice GuywhatawasterRoyale with CheeseGLaDOSfullstopDr.Winston O'BoogiemwrfPaparazzoxtal191YakultWarperMoneymakerSideshow MarkBeast ASIDrumSteve 52 votes
    Xavi
    28%
    PaulwKoldPacificoKingp35MaceFaceBrando_ieJazzyCormiceventDave!thorbarryShagNastiiSavmanXavi6Reganio 2EirebearironictoasterGillingtoneoin2ncM5 58 votes
    Paolo Maldini
    0%
    carlop 1 vote
    Lothar Mattaus
    6%
    Bounty HunterSeanehmachiavellianmematrimSoulessStevecwSK1979beertonsDiabhal BeagLu TzeBrienShamoBucProfessional Griefer 13 votes
    Diego Maradona
    0%
    Marco Van Basten
    22%
    SickBoytiborDrag00n79dougalinforfunx in the cityefbIagorainbow kirbyDavey Devilkeano_afcUnearthlyziggyapplehunteradoxfred funk }{AnCapaillMorstovelidaidan24326davyjose 46 votes
    Michel Platini
    0%
    Double Cdahat 2 votes
    Kaka
    0%
    Ruud Gullit
    0%
    Roberto Baggio
    0%
    A.N Other (please state)
    0%
    pickarooney 1 vote

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Lothar Mattaus
    Maldini.
    He is everything a professional footballer should be.
    As comfortable launching down the wing and starting attacks as he was making heroic tackles and intercepting passes at the other end of the pitch. Perfect all round footballer.
    Best Left full of all time and one of the best centre backs of the last 20 years. Cannot over estimate how important he is to the modern game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Marco Van Basten
    Diego Maradona >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Anybody else I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Xavi
    As much as I'd like to say Xavi, Zidane gets my vote

his performances in the 1998 WC were fantastic and the 2 goals in the final was the icing on the cake.Not to mention his stellar performances in 2006 at age 34.

His Club career is equally amazing. I'll never forget that goal in the 2002 CL final, such technique and not snatching at it.

Best midfielder of all time IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Xavi
    Roy Keane tbh, probably the player I watched in most depth, but I thought he was a different class altogether, made Zidane look like nothing when we played Juve.

That being said Zidane is my second choice :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Lionel Messi
    For me, there is criteria involved.

Being in my mid 20s, i really don't remember Maradona's best years. Maldini is up there and Zidane is one of the best of all time.

But, for me, I think Fat Ronaldo is the best player i've ever seen. Although he was only up there for a handful of years, during those years he was an incredible footballer and would undoubtedly be spoken in the same breath as Pele and Maradona had he not just fallen off.

I know hw's not on the list (i presume Ronaldo means Cristiano since it's beside Messi) and i know i'll probably be lashed for it, but when Ronaldo was at his best, for me, there was nobody like him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Lionel Messi
    Brazilian Ronaldo for me as well.

I'm 19, started to recognise players when I was about 8 or so (Thanks to ISS Pro on the Playstation). Ronaldo has always stood out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Zinedine Zidane
    The out and out best player I've seen is Messi. By a distance. I'd put Ronaldo (the real one), Xavi and Zizou in the next bracket down, closely followed by Maldini, Iniesta and Paul Scholes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Lionel Messi
    Seaneh wrote: »
    Maldini.
    He is everything a professional footballer should be.
    As comfortable launching down the wing and starting attacks as he was making heroic tackles and intercepting passes at the other end of the pitch. Perfect all round footballer.
    Best Left full of all time and one of the best centre backs of the last 20 years. Cannot over estimate how important he is to the modern game.

I've never seen a video since that day but I'm nearly certain it happened.

Maldini's last game or last home game or something like that and Milan were 3-2 down in the last minute and had everyone up for the attack and the opposition countered. Everyone else gave up except for Maldini and he must have sprinted I'd say 80 or 90 yards and made a heroic tackle to stop a certain goal. I mean he didn't have to do it and it made no difference as the game was over but he still had the will and heart to do it at 40. That moment summed up his career so perfectly I thought. He's the best defender and captain I've ever seen.

Lionel Messi
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    For me, there is criteria involved.

Being in my mid 20s, i really don't remember Maradona's best years. Maldini is up there and Zidane is one of the best of all time.

But, for me, I think Fat Ronaldo is the best player i've ever seen. Although he was only up there for a handful of years, during those years he was an incredible footballer and would undoubtedly be spoken in the same breath as Pele and Maradona had he not just fallen off.

I know hw's not on the list (i presume Ronaldo means Cristiano since it's beside Messi) and i know i'll probably be lashed for it, but when Ronaldo was at his best, for me, there was nobody like him.

No that's the real Ronaldo I forgot to put in Crisitano Roanldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Xavi

I can think of players that warrant a place ahead of him so I wouldn't worry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,714 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Lothar Mattaus
    Where's Ian Rush? Maldini gets my vote from the above. A cut above in all aspects, onand off pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lionel Messi
    Should probably render my vote void then and take 1 off Brazilian Ronaldo and give it to Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

pavel nedved.

Lothar Mattaus
    I've never seen a video since that day but I'm nearly certain it happened.

Maldini's last game or last home game or something like that and Milan were 3-2 down in the last minute and had everyone up for the attack and the opposition countered. Everyone else gave up except for Maldini and he must have sprinted I'd say 80 or 90 yards and made a heroic tackle to stop a certain goal. I mean he didn't have to do it and it made no difference as the game was over but he still had the will and heart to do it at 40. That moment summed up his career so perfectly I thought. He's the best defender and captain I've ever seen.

Last home game. Lost 3-2 to Roma.

Lionel Messi
    Seaneh wrote: »
    Last home game. Lost 3-2 to Roma.

I knew I wasn't imagining it. Can't find a video of that moment anywhere on youtube. Treatment he got that day was disgraceful.

Lothar Mattaus
    I knew I wasn't imagining it. Can't find a video of that moment anywhere on youtube. Treatment he got that day was disgraceful.

Few idiots spoiled a day that should have been about the great man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Xavi
    Zizou.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

GARY BREEN!!!11!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Lionel Messi
    Ronaldo_Brazil.jpg

Best player of all time imo. At his best, no defender in the world at their own best could stop him. The most clinical finisher I've ever seen, even at the most ridiculous of angles, he would always find that bottom corner beyond the keeper's reach. Put him 1 on 1 with a goalkeeper and you were guaranteed a goal. No nine times out of ten or anything like that, he simply scored and that was final. The fact that he had to completely remodel his game after two serious knee injuries and never sacrificed form or goalscoring was the ultimate testament to how devastating a player he was. I speak of him like he's gone when he's still enjoying himself down in Brazil, but he says he's going to retire next year. When he does, he will have the most sensational career to look back on.

Obligatory highlight reel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Zinedine Zidane
    If you're asking who the most gifted player i have ever seen is, then it's Messi followed by fat Ronaldo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Xavi
    Zidane for me. Just an absolutely sensational player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Those who have to qualify Ronaldo by saying Fat Ronaldo are insulting

Lionel Messi
    gustavo wrote: »

That's the way life is i'm afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Denis Bergkamp anyone? Or am I gone mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Zinedine Zidane
    gustavo wrote: »

Sorry. Tranny chasing Ronaldo.

Lionel Messi
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    That's the way life is i'm afraid!

I disagree. I hate that moiker. Cristiano Ronaldo is a double first name like john paul. Therefore he should never be called Ronaldo on his own. The real Ronaldo de Lima is and always will be Ronaldo. Cristiano Ronaldo Aveiro is and always should be referred to as Cristiano Ronaldo. No more of this fat Ronaldo bullshít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Michael Laudrup. He literally had everything. Otherwise Messi...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Xavi
    Zidane was simply footballing perfection IMO.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Zinedine Zidane
    Theirry Henry.

For a number of years he was all I wanted to see on a Saturday afternoon. I idolized the man and I will forever. Best player at my club ever imo and there'll never be another like him. Sheer class.

• Advertisement

Lionel Messi
    I disagree. I hate that moiker. Cristiano Ronaldo is a double first name like john paul. Therefore he should never be called Ronaldo on his own. The real Ronaldo de Lima is and always will be Ronaldo. Cristiano Ronaldo Aveiro is and always should be referred to as Cristiano Ronaldo. No more of this fat Ronaldo bullshít.

In an ideal world, but despite all your annoyance, it doesn't work like that. People have already said in this thread alone they have voted for "Ronaldo" thinking it was Cristiano Ronaldo. This is reality, you'll just have to get over it i'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Zinedine Zidane
    If people couldn't bother their hole to even read the opening post and just presumed Ronaldo meant cristiano then don't come here complaining if you couldn't show the courtesy to even read what it was about ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Xavi
    Zidane for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

Marco Van Basten
    Best player I've seen - Maradona.

Messi runs him close but it's too early to make a definitive judgement on him, lets see how the next 10 years go. If he keeps up his current levels I could have a new No 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lionel Messi
    redout wrote: »
    If people couldn't bother their hole to even read the opening post and just presumed Ronaldo meant cristiano then don't come here complaining if you couldn't show the courtesy to even read what it was about ffs.
    Why would anyone choose to read the opening post before the poll options? When what we're voting for is so clearly stated in the thread title?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Marco Van Basten

Considering Paul Scholes and Roy Keane have been mentioned then he is entitled to be considered, that goal against Newcastle was one of the best ive ever seen and he was an extremely intelligent player.

Personally my vote would go to Diego Maradonna he was pure genius and unplayable when in full flow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

Eric Cantona for me , i know a lot of you might disagree but i was on the edge of my seat any time he was playing , pure presence and class on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Zinedine Zidane
    CSF wrote: »
    Why would anyone choose to read the opening post before the poll options? When what we're voting for is so clearly stated in the thread title?

To that I would say how could someone not have the courtesy, common sense even to read an opening post of any thread before diving in and jumping the gun. It would have shown that there was in fact no confusion at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Cristiano Ronaldo should be on that list, he may not be the best but hes better than many on that list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

No yer not, Dennis is my favourite player of all time.

Players like Ronaldo, Messi, Maradona perhaps have more natural attributes, but I feel Dennis' footballing intelligence was on another level. I've heard him before (I think) described as the footballers footballer and I feel that's a very apt description.

Oh, and another mention for Michael Laudrup. Definitely deserves to be up on that list, he was ever so slightly ahead of my time, but I do remember idolizing him briefly as a kid before Dennis became a big name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Lionel Messi
    almanu wrote: »
    Eric Cantona for me , i know a lot of you might disagree but i was on the edge of my seat any time he was playing , pure presence and class on the pitch.

You cannot compare Cantona to the real Ronaldo/Messi/Maradona/Zidane.

What did Cantona ever do to warrant to be considered in the same breath as any of the above?

He didn't preform in the Champions League against proper defenders or Internationally.

He could strut his stuff in England alright when the standard was nothing compared to Spain and Italy at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A.N Other (please state)
    Roberto Baggio for me - the one player I ever truly wanted to 'be'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

eagle eye wrote: »
    Diego Maradona >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Anybody else I've ever seen.

Meh, Manuel Almunia is a better Keeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Marco Van Basten
    Maradona for me.

Wasn't surrounded by top-class players in 1986 and ran the tournament: same with Napoli.

Also got far, far less protection from referees than he would get today. The guy was kicked up and down the pitch for most of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Zinedine Zidane
    Was alive for Maradona's glory days, just about. However didn't really become a football fan til about 94 and never watched him play so that's him out.

Leo Messi for me, don't care if his career has only just started. By far the best player I've seen in my lifetime.

You cannot compare Cantona to the real Ronaldo/Messi/Maradona/Zidane.

What did Cantona ever do to warrant to be considered in the same breath as any of the above?

He didn't preform in the Champions League against proper defenders or Internationally.

He could strut his stuff in England alright when the standard was nothing compared to Spain and Italy at the time.

messi has been around for how long , plus he,s not my cup of tea certainly not player of my lifetime , never liked zidane , but as i said in my post ,not a lot will agree with me about Cantona. he wasnt that great in the CL as the whole united team were not that great at the time , if memory serves me right, as for internationally well he wasnt really wanted there in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Lionel Messi
    messi has been around for how long , plus he,s not my cup of tea certainly not player of my lifetime , never liked zidane , but as i said in my post ,not a lot will agree with me about Cantona. he wasnt that great in the CL as the whole united team were not that great at the time , if memory serves me right, as for internationally well he wasnt really wanted there in the first place.

But you see players like Messi and Zidane have proved their worth on the world stage whereas Cantona has not proved anything on a stage that compares to these two players or many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Zinedine Zidane
    Easy choice really for me , has got to be Messi, as much as i love Zidane, Maldini, Xavi or Ronaldo i just can not look past Leo, pure genius.

Lionel Messi

Are really saying Eric Cantona is better than Messi? You are funny! Messi has won more at the age of 23 than Cantona ever won in his career. Messi has won 2 Champions Leagues, Messi has won 4 leagues in the best league in Europe, Cantona won 5 league in what was at the time a second rate league. Messi has won ballon D'or, FIFA World player of the year, I shouldn't even need to go on. Cantona was a goof player who acted the brat and will always be remembered for that incident at Wimbledon. Messi will be remembered as one of if no the greatest player to have played the game by the time he's thity. Those red tinted spectacles need to come off my dear.

But you see players like Messi and Zidane have proved their worth on the world stage whereas Cantona has not proved anything on a stage that compares to these two players or many more.
    i understand your point in regards to silverware , he just hold a special place in my heart .

Lothar Mattaus

You have to remember, this is boards.ie... logic goes out the window.

• Advertisement
Advertisement