Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best player of my lifetime

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Marco Van Basten
    In a few years I honestly think Messi will walk this with C.Ronaldo getting similar votes as Ronaldo classic.
    If he can lead Argentina to World Cup glory he will walk it alright. As much as it hurts me to say it because of the man's persona C.Ronaldo seems to be getting better and is likely to be one of the all time greats in years to come also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Zinedine Zidane
    I voted Messi.

However I always remember wanting to watch Juninho play for Boro when I was younger... thought he was brilliant.

Him and Fowler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Xavi
    My favourite player of all time was Thierry Henry. The sheer joy that man brought to me and many others when he played for my club is beyond words.

The best player of my generation is Zidane, hands down. I've never seen anyone so comfortable on the ball, it's absolutely astonishing. Every move he made, every touch he took, either put him into space or got the ball to a team-mate. Absolutely flawless team player and model professional.

I also think Xavi and Maldini are sensational players, with the latter being, in my view, the greatest defender and footballing personality of all time. Also, I don't think Messi will ever be as good as Maradona, simply because he is surrounded by an absolute plethora of talent at Barcelona, so if he's ever lacking in a game there'll always be someone on form to keep the heat off him. He's a very good player, but in my view being over-hyped. Zidane has single handedly won a world cup final and a champions league final for club and country, and Maradona basically walked through 86 with perhaps the greatest individual performance of all time. I'm yet to see Messi's defining moment which puts him up there as a truly superb player, but I stand corrected as chances are it'll be pretty soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Marco Van Basten
    Too many people appear to plump for players that play for the club they support.

Roy Keane is one of my favourite players ever but better than Maradona or Zidane?

stovelid wrote: »
    Too many people appear to plump for players that play for the club they support.

Roy Keane is one of my favourite players ever but better than Maradona or Zidane?

Some people are pretty thick tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Marco Van Basten
    Showing my age here but... No Cruijff in that list?

I would have to choose between Cruijff and Maradona. It edges towards Maradona because Cruijff played in better teams than Maradona so had it a bit easier to shine.
    All the other greats always played in great teams when they won things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The results of the poll (so far) does not support that statement unless this forum has gone all non EPL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Zinedine Zidane
    Cantona!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Lionel Messi
    Since I can remember watching football (1993), Ronaldo has been the outstanding player in my mind.

When he played for Inter & Barca, he was unstoppable. He was a joy to watch, an amazing forward and he seemed to bang goals in for fun from all positions. Even at Real, he was regularly getting goals despite being nowhere near his best.

Another forward I rated highly at that time was Jardel. He scored insane amounts of goals for Porto, Galatasaray and Sporting.

Messi is definitely the top footballer now and he could easily catch and surpass Ronaldo in years to come. Cristiano Ronaldo is another great player of my generation, as was Zidane, but for me its the Brazilian Ronaldo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Marco Van Basten

Loved this guy. And what a cracker against us at 0:38.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Juninho - Not the best but a nice auld free kick on him!:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDRtIatAsBU&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Xavi
    The results of the poll (so far) does not support that statement unless this forum has gone all non EPL

Half the people that voted for Ronaldo thought it was cristiano shur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Marco Van Basten
    good to see diego near the top of this list.. if anyone could throw back the clock to 1986 and watch him in all his pomp for napoil and then in mexico it would be clear he was head and shoulders above anyone on the planet, football wise.

I would love if he was on a chat show! that would be magic, but he doesnt speak much or little english I believe.

He also deserves some credit for pulling himself together as not long ago he was the size of an oompa loompah and the grim reaper was within touching distance of him.

He is too crazy to be a good manager but his skills and talents on the pitch is what he should be remembered for, like the swerve volley goal for napoil from almost the half way line... :)

Marco Van Basten
    Should also add about Maradona that he was probably his own worst enemy in terms of professionalism and lifestyle: his drug use (starting around 82-83 in Barcelona); his inability to deal with club authority and other big names in the teams he played in and also the highly questionable medical treatment he insisted on receiving since he was a teenager.

Although his free spirit was an essential part of his attraction as a player, if he had looked after himself better and - crucially - stayed at bigger clubs (surrounded with better players), he would have achieved so much more. As it was, he mostly carried relatively pedestrian Napoli and Argentina teams to the very top by pure will and talent.

Transport a more saintly Diego to, say, the Barcelona of today with the way they play the game, the players around him and the protection afforded to players from referees nowadays, and the question of the best player ever would be utterly academic, imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Zinedine Zidane
    Maradona looked something else alright. His performances in the 1986 WC will never be equalled imo. Never have i seen one player carry a team so much. Personally that is about all i have seen of him as I was too young to be really into soccer. But if he was anywhere near that level consistently then he would be the best player of all-time.

I voted Messi though as I just didnt see enough of Diego. Messi is at a different level to everyone else. The main thing is he is consistently brilliant irrespective of who he is playing against. He doesnt keep his A game for the big games but produces his A game week in, week out. His attitude is second to none as well, he is constantly getting kicked around the place but just jumps straight back up and gets on with the game. He isn't a glory-hunter either and is a real team-player. The perfect player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Zinedine Zidane
    As much as it pains me to say, Messi is the best I've ever seen, tbh.
    I'd probably have picked Ronaldo or Zidane if I was 2 years older, but I haven't seen enough of them at their prime to justify picking them over Messi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Zinedine Zidane
    Didnt really see any of Maradona, was too young.

I voted for Ronaldo, the greatest goal scorer ive ever seen. I reckon if you ask me the same question in 5 years time my answer could well be Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Lionel Messi
    Warper wrote: »
    Maradona looked something else alright. His performances in the 1986 WC will never be equalled imo. Never have i seen one player carry a team so much. Personally that is about all i have seen of him as I was too young to be really into soccer. But if he was anywhere near that level consistently then he would be the best player of all-time.

I voted Messi though as I just didnt see enough of Diego. Messi is at a different level to everyone else. The main thing is he is consistently brilliant irrespective of who he is playing against. He doesnt keep his A game for the big games but produces his A game week in, week out. His attitude is second to none as well, he is constantly getting kicked around the place but just jumps straight back up and gets on with the game. He isn't a glory-hunter either and is a real team-player. The perfect player.

I think Ronaldo in 2002 came close. Brazil struggled badly to qualify and were ranked outsiders to win the tournaments. Ronaldo returned in time for the finals, a guy who had a fit before the last world cup final, had 2 near career ending injuries in the mean time and he turned them into WC Champions. He showed alot of character to do that and he picked up alot of top individual awards that year too.

I think the defining difference was Maradona's goal against England, Ronaldo didnt scored a career defining goal to put the icing on the cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Xavi
    From that list, Ronaldo and Zidane. Untouchables.

Other honourable mentions go to Gullit, Hagi and Messi.

Best player i've ever seen live - Paul Gascoigne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Zinedine Zidane
    I think Zidane is a teeny weeny bit overrated around these parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Xavi
    only one winner for me ....Zizou

Xavi
    Bodhisopha wrote: »
    I think Zidane is a teeny weeny bit overrated around these parts.

How do you figure that one out?

Zinedine Zidane
    Eirebear wrote: »
    How do you figure that one out?

At his best he's not on the same level as Ronaldo or Messi at their best, the only two players of recent times who are worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as Pelé and Mardona.

Zidane is on a similar level to Ronaldinho.

Xavi
    At his best he's not on the same level as Ronaldo or Messi at their best, the only two players of recent times who are worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as Pelé and Mardona.

Zidane is on a similar level to Ronaldinho.

I suppose it depends how you look at it.

Ronaldo, Pele, Maradonna, Messi and even Ronaldinho are all game changing players, impact players who generally get the attention.

Zidane controlled games from start to finish, even on a quiet day he was still pulling the strings in Midfield.
    To a certain extent that makes him more valuable in a team game than any of the players mentioned.

Zinedine Zidane
    Eirebear wrote: »
    I suppose it depends how you look at it.

Ronaldo, Pele, Maradonna, Messi and even Ronaldinho are all game changing players, impact players who generally get the attention.

Zidane controlled games from start to finish, even on a quiet day he was still pulling the strings in Midfield.
    To a certain extent that makes him more valuable in a team game than any of the players mentioned.

Yeah, fair points, but he was the main man pulling the strings in what many consider to be a failed Gallactico era, it's worthy of consideration i feel.

Still though, amazing player.

• Advertisement

Xavi
    Yeah, fair points, but he was the main man pulling the strings in what many consider to be a failed Gallactico era, it's worthy of consideration i feel.

Still though, amazing player.

Yeah thats a fair point, although i dont think there is a player in any era of football who could have held together that group of egos for a sustained period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Paul Scholes for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

How is Roy Keane not even an option on the poll? disgraceful, someones head should roll for that

Anyway, Keane is my pick, best player i have ever seen live, followed by Ronaldo then Maldini

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Lionel Messi
    For those bitching about players not included Dalglish, Scholes, Henry, Zola, Cantona and Roy Keane I'll say this. The majority of you are being blinded by your favourite player and/or the team you support and the Sky bullshít that the English league is the King of all leagues . Many are confusing greatness and good. Being a great player should be limited to a select few. Many players are decent, some are good but only a few can ever aspire to greatness.

Every player on that poll has won either a Ballon D'or, FIFA World player of the Year or World Soccer Player of the year the three most authoritative awards in world football in my eyes. The only player I would have had on the list that wasn't was Cristiano Ronaldo which was a mistake I forgot to include him in the poll options and maybe Luis Figo.

Here is what none of Dalglish, Scholes, Henry, Zola, Cantona and Roy Keane won and what the players on the list have won.

Ronaldo; 2 Ballon d'or, 3 Fifa, 3 World Soccer
    Lionel Messi; 1 Ballon d'or, 1 Fifa, 1 World Soccer
    Zinedine Zidane;1 Ballon d'or, 3 Fifa, 1 World Soccer
    Xavi; 1 World Soccer
    Paolo Maldini; 1 World Soccer
    Lothar Mattaus; 1 Ballon d'or, 1 Fifa, 1 World Soccer
    Diego Maradona; 1 World Soccer
    Marco van Basten; 3 Ballon d'or, 1 Fifa, 2 World Soccer
    Michel Platini; 3 Ballon d'or, 2 World Soccer
    Kaka; 1 Ballon d'or, 1 Fifa, 1 World Soccer
    Ruud Gullit; 1 Ballon d'or, 2 World Soccer
    Roberto Baggio; 1 Ballon d'or, 1 Fifa, 1 World Soccer

The simple fact of the matter is that practically none of the great players of the past 30 years have played in English football. The replies on this thread indicate a person's knowledge of football as much as anything else in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Marco Van Basten
    Has to be Maradona.

Transfer value of 50 Italia '90 stickers said it all.

Messi in a close 2nd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Lionel Messi
    Another thing is there has to a limit to the year. The vast majority on this forum don't remember football pre 1980. Therefore you include Cruijf, Best, you might as well include Beckenbauer, Pele, Yashin and Di Stefano. The you're into a whole different ball game. Then you're into best player of all time. That's a different debate.

I don't remember football before 1998 but most people would. There has to be an ability level required to be nominated and there has to be a time line otherwise its a whole different topic. Thread could be called best player of the last 30 years if you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Marco Van Basten
    Maradona. Quite simply the best player ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭sonic85

Zinedine Zidane
    the best player ive ever seen has to be lionel messi. hes just a step ahead of everyone else

Marco Van Basten

The simple fact of the matter is that practically none of the great players of the past 30 years have played in English football. The replies on this thread indicate a person's knowledge of football as much as anything else in my opinion.

Maradona nearly went to Sheffield. :pac:

While I agree with what you're saying, this is changing to some extent. Witness C. Ronaldo. The game has changed beyond all recognition in England since the EPL, not least financially as we all know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Marco Van Basten
    Boskowski wrote: »
    I was watching some Espn classic stuff and when you look at the matches from the 70s...

Just as an example, a player makes a nice one-touch flick (then) past another player and the ball goes 10 yards past and the commentator goes 'awesome'. Today they would say his first touch let him down cos no way would the ball be still his. They had acres of space of and all the time in the world. An international match then looked like an over 50s five a side in the park now. The pace and athleticism has changed so much.

Therefore even if you were old enough to have witnessed say Pele, I'd find it difficult to make a call on him. Pace of the game and skill shown are directly related to each other. In a leisurely 5 a side even Titus Bramble would look like a Brazilian genius. What a lot of people don't realize is that seemingly average pros are awesome footballers when compared to their own junior league teams midfield genius.

My point is that the one guy I remember from my kiddo days and whose environment is still somewhat comparable to nowadays footie is Maradona. He is unbelievable. It's like the ball was a part of his body. He had as much control over it as others have control over their right hand.

Every now and then a player pops up who is in the same category. Today that player is Messi and in the years between Maradona and Messi the latter is probably the one who comes the closest to the former. Maradona actually says that himself about Messi.

There is other great players with other great qualities like attitude and ability to read the game and whatnot and they make it into all time greats lists. For example - understandably - Roy Keane pops up a lot here. But to be honest that's laughable.

Every decade seems to produce one or two geniuses. I witnessed 3 decades myself and even taking my point from the beginning of the post into account the little guy stands above the rest by quite a distance. Messi is second. Nuff said.

Good post.

If you watch his goal against england - "that" goal - you'll see how in traffic he moved like the ball was literally glued to his foot, but in space he'd sprint just bouncing it ahead exactly far enough so he wouldn't lose it, but wouldn't have to break stride. It's the most obvious example of his inhuman technique. But was not a fluke.

His shot was remarkable too. He came a decade too early too, because if there was a bit more footage of him, he'd be owning this poll IMO.

Marco Van Basten
    three of the top four names on this have all played for Barca.

:eek:

Marco Van Basten
    davyjose wrote: »
    Good post.

If you watch his goal against england - "that" goal - you'll see how in traffic he moved like the ball was literally glued to his foot, but in space he'd sprint just bouncing it ahead exactly far enough so he wouldn't lose it, but wouldn't have to break stride. It's the most obvious example of his inhuman technique. But was not a fluke.

Read an interview with him there and apparently the pitch in the Azteca was awful which makes it even more brilliant. They were decent, tough players he made a fool of too. Thankfully they were not Uruguayan or Italian or he'd have been broken in two. :pac:

Zinedine Zidane
    davyjose wrote: »
    three of the top four names on this have all played for Barca.

:eek:

Imagine being a season ticket holder at Barcelona for the last 30 years. Throw in Laudrup, Hagi, Stoichkov, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho etc.. for good measure..

Spoiled beyond belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Pavel Nedved gets my vote.

• Advertisement

Marco Van Basten
    Imagine being a season ticket holder at Barcelona for the last 30 years. Throw in Laudrup, Hagi, Stoichkov, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho etc.. for good measure..

Spoiled beyond belief.

Make it 40 and throw in a Cruyff.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bookie basher

Marco Van Basten
    while i was too young to see him in his prime in the eighties from the highlights i have seen maradona is by far the best player ever with the ball at his feet, best dribbler of the ball by far, the most agile player i have seen as well, great at evading tackles and turning sharply & changing direction, his passing is up there with zidanes or xavi as well, if he was on the pitch the whole dynamics of the game changed and you cant say that about too many players

Marco Van Basten
    10 amazing goals here from diego

quality is bad.....

and i dont mean of the goals... :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72au08M7Kyo&feature=related

Marco Van Basten
    Read an interview with him there and apparently the pitch in the Azteca was awful which makes it even more brilliant. They were decent, tough players he made a fool of too. Thankfully they were not Uruguayan or Italian or he'd have been broken in two. :pac:

there is a goal on that link and the pitch is absolute ****, and he does the same business....

crazy

messi is the only player in the world with skill like maradona now, but I dont think he could send argentina to wc glory by himself.. in this years wc he was largely anonymous for instance but he has plenty time of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Marco Van Basten

Spoiled beyond belief.

all that individual talent, add in figo, neeskens, lineker, romario, eto'o, kluivert, enrique and yet prior to 2006 they sat alongside psv, feyenoord, hamburg, dortmund, marseille, steaua on one european title, one less than little nottingham forest

kind of ironic that their most successful european period has come not with big name signings but with home grown talent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

my team is sht so ill vote for some other twat, sht team wakners

Lionel Messi
    almanu wrote: »
    my team is sht so ill vote for some other twat, sht team wakners

Ya do fair play. Great post. Give up the beer my dear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Xavi
    love pavel nedved. such a great player.
    zizou gets it for me. i just enjoyed watching him so much.
    Romario would be my other love. just took the piss as regards rules i think. very much a game changer as position goes. i like that, i like seeing someone who sees the "broken" things in a game.
    Ronaldo then would be another man I just adore. archi describes him best (btw archi - please stop being tom brady. it is confusing and i dont wanna live in a soccer forum where archi is not archi k)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Marco Van Basten
    Wrong thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Marco Van Basten
    tdv123 wrote: »
    Yeah good point.

Question about Platini. The RTE lads (Giles in particular) never really seemed to him like or regard him as a world class player. What was it they had against him exactly? I remember them saying Fabregas was a better player than him one night. But most other ex-players,managers,fans etc... speak off him as one of the all time greats.

Think it was because France never got to the WC Cup finals in 82 or 86. In fairness they were robbed in the 82 semi against Germany. He was superb in the Euro championships in 84.

Brilliant at spotting a through ball. The cliche is that he replaced Brady at Juventus which shows you how good Brady was, but that also shows how highly regarded Platini was.

He gets over shadowed by Maradona being from the same generation.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement