Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best player of my lifetime

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

Xavi
    No Pele? that is shocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Marco Van Basten
    No Pele? that is shocking

Pele didn't really play in my lifetime though. Same for most, I gather.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

Xavi
    davyjose wrote: »
    Pele didn't really play in my lifetime though. Same for most, I gather.

Not in my lifetime either. Still tho he was still going strong til the mid to late 70s. Some posters here might remember him

Anyway, I voted for ZZ. He's the player I remember in my lifetime as an amazing player. Great ball play, great tricks and great goals. Remember his goal against Leverkusen in the 2002 Champions League Final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

Ya do fair play. Great post. Give up the beer my dear.
    unless your an 85 yr old woman ,saying my dear in your posts is just a bit david brent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Xavi
    For anyone born in the mid 80s then there's really only one correct answer (with a couple of honourable mentions).

zinedine-zidane-20070802-293303.jpg

Had a good laugh at some of the blinkers on display in this thread :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Zinedine Zidane
    If messi continues the way he's going it'll be him. Honerable mention to zidane, baggio and maradona.
    Wheres rooney in the poll?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

Paparazzo wrote: »
    If messi continues the way he's going it'll be him. Honerable mention to zidane, baggio and maradona.
    Wheres rooney in the poll?
    english players are not good enough for some , apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Zinedine Zidane
    almanu wrote: »

Is there any English player that should be on that list? I don't think there is. Gazza maybe? He definitely wouldn't win anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Lionel Messi
    almanu wrote: »

Christ did you not see my post where I outlined why I selected the players I did. You do realise that none of the best players of the past 30 odd years were English or played in England. There is another world out there from the English league. Why are the players you suggested better than Zidane, Ronaldo or Roberto Baggio?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Zinedine Zidane
    Christ did you not see my post where I outlined why I selected the players I did. You do realise that none of the best players of the past 30 odd years were English or played in England. There is another world out there from the English league. Why are the players you suggested better than Zidane, Ronaldo or Roberto Baggio?

To be fair, Henry and CRonaldo were/are probably better than Baggio was. Doesn't really matter, neither would be up there with Zidane, Messi and Maradona.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Marco Van Basten
    I voted for Maradona but I actually think that Maldini over the course of his career was amazing. The consumate professional and a magnificent player. I cant even remember him being booked? Was he ever sent off?

Find it very strange to see Xavi in that group of players - doesnt belong there and two glaring omissions are Zico and Socrates especially the latter. Great thread though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

Marco Van Basten
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

Xavi
    i saw all of those players and without any doubt Maradonna was the best without question. Actually the best ever with Pele a close second.

to even mention Ronaldo or Zidane in the same sentance is juvenille and a display of ignorance in the extreeme.

So he was the best without question?? ...but Pelé was a close second?? If it was so close, how can it be as definitive as you suggest?

Also a bit dismissive to suggest its juvenile for people to choose Ronaldo/Zidane when given the typical demographics of online boards, its fair to say many would never have really seen Maradonna/Pelé play aside from Youtube clips.

I would also argue that Ronaldo, Zidane et al played against much better organised teams, fitter opponents and their achievements should be weighted with this knowledge. I've seen Ronaldo play and know that he was as good as any player that ever lived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Xavi
    I voted for Zizou but its a shame to see Lothar Matthäus just glossed over, amazing player, since Maradonna is getting so much support I thought I would add in a quote from Maradonna
    He is the best rival I've ever had
    Can't ask for much more than that. Also the fact that Matthäus won all the top individual player awards (World Player of the Year has only been won by 2 defenders, himself and Cannavaro. Same with the Ballon d'Or. World Soccer won was won by the previous 2 as well as Maldini)

He won everything you could win bar the Champions League unfortunatly and as football is dominated by the goal scorers and not the ones who stop them he will never really get the recognition he deserves. But yeah sorry for the long post but this guy deserves some amount of recognition for his abilities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Lionel Messi
    I agree on Matthaus he is one of the most under appreciated footballers of all time. What he achieved over 20 years is practically unparalleled. He was a great player but few people recognise his greatness. I was talking amongst some of my friends a few months back and they laughed when I suggested Matthaus as a great player. Thing is a defensive midfielder is never recognised compared to a show player like a striker or an attacking midfielder.

I remember the Champions League final after United scored the 2 goals and he was on the bench devastated and Clive Tyldsley giving him shít and I just felt so sorry for him. He'd won everything in the game bar that and to watch the trophy slip from his grasp through no fault of his own was awful. It was the second time he'd lost a final due to two late goals having been ahead. If ever a man deserved a Champions League medal it was him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

Marco Van Basten
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭event

Xavi
    Bodhisopha wrote: »
    At his best he's not on the same level as Ronaldo or Messi at their best, the only two players of recent times who are worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as Pelé and Mardona.

Zidane is on a similar level to Ronaldinho.

jesus this is funny

zidane was an incredible player. he scored two goals in a WC final, was incredible at euro 2000 and at 36 dragged his team to a WC final in 06.

3 leagues, the uefa cup, the CL, 2 intercontinental cups, the WC and the European championship, man of the match in a WC final, World soccer player of the year, the ballon d'or, fifa world player of the year 3 times, player of the tournament in the Euros, the UEFA best player of the past 50 years, the WC golden boot plus numerous other accolades and cups.

he's over-rated, are you mad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Marco Van Basten
    I agree on Matthaus he is one of the most under appreciated footballers of all time. What he achieved over 20 years is practically unparalleled. He was a great player but few people recognise his greatness. I was talking amongst some of my friends a few months back and they laughed when I suggested Matthaus as a great player. Thing is a defensive midfielder is never recognised compared to a show player like a striker or an attacking midfielder.

I remember the Champions League final after United scored the 2 goals and he was on the bench devastated and Clive Tyldsley giving him shít and I just felt so sorry for him. He'd won everything in the game bar that and to watch the trophy slip from his grasp through no fault of his own was awful. It was the second time he'd lost a final due to two late goals having been ahead. If ever a man deserved a Champions League medal it was him.

I think he suffers because Maradona was around during his time, though 1990 was Matthaus's WC. To me Platini was as good as Matthaus, though obviously different type of players, but suffers the same.

Platini was simply unmarkeable in the 84 EC. 2 perfect hat tricks, would have thrived in the current attacking midfielder role that is the current rage.

His goal scoring record for a midfielder is phenomenal, both at an international and club level.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Zinedine Zidane
    event wrote: »
    jesus this is funny

zidane was an incredible player. he scored two goals in a WC final, was incredible at euro 2000 and at 36 dragged his team to a WC final in 06.

3 leagues, the uefa cup, the CL, 2 intercontinental cups, the WC and the European championship, man of the match in a WC final, World soccer player of the year, the ballon d'or, fifa world player of the year 3 times, player of the tournament in the Euros, the UEFA best player of the past 50 years, the WC golden boot plus numerous other accolades and cups.

Teeny bit overrated on here, yes. No, i'm perfectly sane.

At his absolute peak he's not as good a player as Ronaldo at his peak or Messi over the last 2 seasons IMVHAHO.

You could judge these things on achievement, fine, i tend to judge them on ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Lionel Messi
    jesus this is funny

Don't worry, "Internet Time" is almost over. He will be brought back to the loony room, be given his happy pills and everythiiing will be alriiiiiiiiiiiight.

• Advertisement

Marco Van Basten
    The problem with Maradonna was he wasn't consistent enough and to a degree suffered George Best syndrome.

After 86 everything was downhill, 94 is tarnished.

For me Maldini, Baresi or Zidane were the best if you are going for consistency.

Still, Maradonna was the best. Messi is the only player with the potential to come close and though he is getting there, he hasn't done it. Gives you an idea of how good Maradonna was.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Lionel Messi
    Oh, BTW for my choice is has to be Brazilian Ronaldo. Simply phenomenal, 47 goals in 49 games for Barca when only 20 and top World Cup scorer in its history. Fought horrific injuries to be top scorer at South Korea/Japan 02.

If he was fully fit for the final of France 98 Brazil would have had a way better chance of beating France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Marco Van Basten
    tdv123 wrote: »
    Yeah good point.

Question about Platini. The RTE lads (Giles in particular) never really seemed to him like or regard him as a world class player. What was it they had against him exactly? I remember them saying Fabregas was a better player than him one night.

They used to say that he disappeared from games when things were going badly or when France were losing. Dunphy especially espoused this point of view. And that he would only appear again when France where on top. To me it was bumkum and Platini and Tagina were fantastic players.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Marco Van Basten
    jesus this is funny

No doubt Zidane was a great player but the likes of Pele & Maradona were on a completely different level. I fully expect Messi to eventually be regarded as a peer to this duo in time. (Actually I also consider Best to be in this bracket too).

I can only presume the reason Maradona is not leading this poll is due to the age group on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Johan Cruyff.

I saw Diego Maradona play in Lansdowne Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Lionel Messi
    I voted for Ronaldo because he played his position to perfection. He was a devastating player and amazing to watch. I honestly couldn't choose between him and Zizou though. Ask me again in five years' time and, if Messi has continued as he's currently going, I'd be saying him. Until then, Ronaldo and Zizou for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Marco Van Basten
    karma_ wrote: »
    I can only presume the reason Maradona is not leading this poll is due to the age group on here.

Yeah I think anyone old enough to have seen Maradona in his prime (as I am) would be unlikely to vote for anybody else.

He didn't have anything like the consistent career of a Maldini or Matthaus but in terms of pure genius ability he was the player of mine or any lifetime.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Maradona,Cantona,Scholes and Ronaldo (not the fat one the better one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Marco Van Basten
    aidan24326 wrote: »
    Yeah I think anyone old enough to have seen Maradona in his prime (as I am) would be unlikely to vote for anybody else.

Think it's definitely the age thing. As another poster said, I also would have went for ZZ if I was 10 years younger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭event

Xavi
    karma_ wrote: »
    No doubt Zidane was a great player but the likes of Pele & Maradona were on a completely different level. I fully expect Messi to eventually be regarded as a peer to this duo in time. (Actually I also consider Best to be in this bracket too).

id agree with that too, but i dont think zidane is overrated.

he is one of the best european players of the last 50 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

id agree with that too, but i dont think zidane is overrated.

he is one of the best european players of the last 50 years
    Zidane was unreal.

Zinedine Zidane
    Platini > Zidane

Marco Van Basten
    Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Platini > Zidane

Close, but.................

I think Platini was unlucky at an international level, particularly in 82 but Zidane has the medals to prove it. That French team under achieved, whether it was down to managers or whatever, I don't know. They were robbed in the 82 semi against West Germany in a fantastic open game and beat Italy and Brazil in 86 but lost a tactical battle in the semi, again to West Germany.

I don't think there is much between them but Zidane shades it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Marco Van Basten
    K-9 wrote: »
    Close, but.................

I think Platini was unlucky at an international level, particularly in 82 but Zidane has the medals to prove it. That French team under achieved, whether it was down to managers or whatever, I don't know. They were robbed in the 82 semi against West Germany in a fantastic open game and beat Italy and Brazil in 86 but lost a tactical battle in the semi, again to West Germany.

I don't think there is much between them but Zidane shades it.
    Very hard to call that one based on talent. Platini didn't do enough in some huge games though for me and I'd agree that Zidane just shades that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Zinedine Zidane
    When it comes to Zidane I will always remember Euro 2002 when he absolutely ran riot. I would go as far to say he was the first player I saw who was genuinely up there with the other greats and I had been following football for 10 odd years.

But in my lifetime I just can't remember anyone else constantly dazzling and entertaining me like Lionel Messi. There was a recent post on youtube of every goal he has scored for Barca and its genuinely jaw dropping. For that reason he gets my vote.

On a side note by all accounts Maradonna won the 1986 World Cup by himself, and the rest of that Argy side wasn't up to much. Its something like that that would genuinely leave someones mark in history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Paolo Maldini
    K-9 wrote: »
    The problem with Maradonna was he wasn't consistent enough and to a degree suffered George Best syndrome.

After 86 everything was downhill, 94 is tarnished.

To be fair he won Serie A with Napoli in 1987 and 1990. I mean I guess its downhill compared to winning a World Cup, but so is anything short of winning another World Cup!

Marco Van Basten
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Very hard to call that one based on talent. Platini didn't do enough in some huge games though for me and I'd agree that Zidane just shades that one.

He was the star in the European Championships in 84 though, gets forgotten. 9 goals in 5 matches including 2 perfect hat tricks. Mad stuff.

I think he was carrying an injury throughout the 86 World Cup which didn't help him and obviously Maradona stole the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Having really started paying proper interest in football since the 1982 World Cup (still the best one ever IMO), I can categorize the period since as follows:

82-90 Diego Maradona

98-2006 Zinedine Zidane

2007- Lionel Messi

All total geniuses and true leaders of men. If I had to pick one it's Maradona. But I think Messi will eventually be regarded as the best ever.

Advertisement