Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When is the reduction coming?

• 30-12-2010 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know when social welfare rates are being reduced?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

chucken1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when social welfare rates are being reduced?

Information is freely available online at websites such as citizensinformation.ie, welfare.ie, budget.gov.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Thanks for the reply. I've looked at all those sites but I can't see anything regarding 'when' :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

chucken1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I've looked at all those sites but I can't see anything regarding 'when' :confused:

From January 2011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

busman wrote: »
    From January 2011

yep 1st payment in january.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭hawthorne

Plus from every first payment in January for the next 4 years...:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

gustafo wrote: »
    yep 1st payment in january.

Oh god..:(

Here's something of note that only barely relates to this thread but is better than making a new thread over;

Everyone was cut approx €8 on welfare, yes?

Everyone, i believe 24 and under, was also cut an additional €6 (just for being younger).

Anyway, I'm 22 and collected my money today, but I didn't get cut the additional €6.

In the words of the great Hurricane Helms: Wassupwitdat?

Doesn't really make any sense to me. I don't remember reading anything about it only being for new claimants or anything. As far as I was aware it was to be retrospectively enforced. So, while im not complaining, i'm just wondering does anyone know why it hasn't been taken from me? :confused:

The reduction in SW paymenys starts on January,1st,2011.
    All payments are usually backpayments, a bit like at work ( Working one week into the bosses hand...). You are always getting paid for the last week. Not for the coming week.
    So actually no-one has experienced any cut-backs of the SW payments yet.
    The department starts cutting at midnight on the 1st of January,2011.
    If your payment is half in the old year and half in the new year, they will only deduct from the half payment of this year (2011).The days in the old year(2010) are still paid according to the old rate.
    The first full reduced payment is only happening after all your days of backpayment of the week are in 2011.
    You can be sure that your payment is reduced to the given amount after you have finished your first full week on the dole in the new year.
    You are getting your dole payments for every day from Monday to Saturday. So be prepared to get some different payments over the next weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

hawthorne wrote: »
    The reduction in SW paymenys starts on January,1st,2011.
    All payments are usually backpayments, a bit like at work ( Working one week into the bosses hand...). You are always getting paid for the last week. Not for the coming week.
    So actually no-one has experienced any cut-backs of the SW payments yet.
    The department starts cutting at midnight on the 1st of January,2011.
    If your payment is half in the old year and half in the new year, they will only deduct from the half payment of this year (2011).The days in the old year(2010) are still paid according to the old rate.
    The first full reduced payment is only happening after all your days of backpayment of the week are in 2011.
    You can be sure that your payment is reduced to the given amount after you have finished your first full week on the dole in the new year.
    You are getting your dole payments for every day from Monday to Saturday. So be prepared to get some different payments over the next weeks.

Well thats the way i was going to explain it but you have put it into perfect words. well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Jan 1st I think, about time this disaster of a government decided to cut welfare!

Although I think 200 euro goes a long ways down in the sticks versus city life?

• Advertisement

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    Jan 1st I think, about time this disaster of a government decided to cut welfare!

Although I think 200 euro goes a long ways down in the sticks versus city life?

No idea what that contributes to the thread, but I am curious; how do you figure that?

I don't live "down in the sticks", but I assume you'd need your own transport to get around and that alone would cost a fortune. I would imagine it certainly isn't able to be done on €200 per week.

Rent and stuff might be cheaper than in Dublin and such, but everything's beside each other in Dublin, and public transport is fairly easily accessible.

But sure lets not put any thought into it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭exspes

um, no he's totally right. i cant even imagine being afforded the luxery of say...eating vegetables with the amount of money i get if i was living in dublin.

I'd say the reason the other chap wasn't cut the 6 euro for being under 24 is that you've been on it long enough, probably the same rules as the under 19s getting 100 euro per week, it was only if they signed on in the 6 months previous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

exspes wrote: »
    um, no he's totally right. i cant even imagine being afforded the luxery of say...eating vegetables with the amount of money i get if i was living in dublin.

I'd say the reason the other chap wasn't cut the 6 euro for being under 24 is that you've been on it long enough, probably the same rules as the under 19s getting 100 euro per week, it was only if they signed on in the 6 months previous
    I have been advised that it is for new applicants only and not current claims, however there is nothing that I can find online to verify this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Max Power1 wrote: »
    I have been advised that it is for new applicants only and not current claims, however there is nothing that I can find online to verify this.

No, everyone is getting cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

No idea what that contributes to the thread, but I am curious; how do you figure that?

I don't live "down in the sticks", but I assume you'd need your own transport to get around and that alone would cost a fortune. I would imagine it certainly isn't able to be done on €200 per week.

Rent and stuff might be cheaper than in Dublin and such, but everything's beside each other in Dublin, and public transport is fairly easily accessible.

But sure lets not put any thought into it at all.

Swings and roundabouts basically.

The dole is set at a level that will prevent most people from living in poverty, so some people will have more discretionary income left after necessities are taken care of.

Dole can be transferred from one area to another, so there's nothing stopping people from moving elsewhere in Ireland to avail of a better standard of living.

Workers often commute a substantial part of their day or move to different cities or countries purely for work reasons. That option is available to jobseekers too.

Correct- as Brian Lenihan said:" Everyone has to share the pain!"
    Only some more than others!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

tenchi-fan wrote: »

Dole can be transferred from one area to another, so there's nothing stopping people from moving elsewhere in Ireland to avail of a better standard of living.
    Unfortunately not so. You cannot transfer your dole claim. You have to close your claim in your current local office, move house, and then apply anew in your new social welfare area. This could take about 6 weeks, as it did in my case, for your new payment to come through. It is incredibly off putting in terms of moving locations... I would never switch social welfare offices again and would advise other people against it too unless they can wait that long without any payment.

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    No, everyone is getting cut.
    I know everyone is being cut (from €196 to €188 approx). I was referring to the additional under 24 cut of €6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I normally get €106.90 went in today and I get €93.60 I'm completely lost. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

I know everyone is being cut (from €196 to €188 approx). I was referring to the additional under 24 cut of €6.

The €6 cut for those aged 22 to 24 is instead of the €8 cut, not in addition to it.

http://www.budget.gov.ie/budgets/2011/Documents/Summary%20of%20Measures%20Combined.pdf See page B.15

• Advertisement

bryaner wrote: »
    I normally get €106.90 went in today and I get €93.60 I'm completely lost. :confused:

Are you claiming also for a Qualified Adult? I ask because your payment is down Euro 13.30 and that could be accounted for by Euro 8.00 reduction for main claimant and the Euro 5.30 reduction in payment for a Qualified Adult. It does seem a high reduction though. Surely it should be a proportionate decrease as you were on a reduced payment anyway?

Balagan wrote: »
    Are you claiming also for a Qualified Adult? I ask because your payment is down Euro 13.30 and that could be accounted for by Euro 8.00 reduction for main claimant and the Euro 5.30 reduction in payment for a Qualified Adult. It does seem a high reduction though. Surely it should be a proportionate decrease as you were on a reduced payment anyway?

Yes I am claiming for a qualified adult, but 4% of €106.90 is €4.28 so even if it was doubled it doesn't add up..

The €6 cut for those aged 22 to 24 is instead of the €8 cut, not in addition to it.

http://www.budget.gov.ie/budgets/2011/Documents/Summary%20of%20Measures%20Combined.pdf See page B.15
    Thanks, but that page you linked doesnt state explicitly one way or the other.

Thanks, but that page you linked doesnt state explicitly one way or the other.

This http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_allowance.html sets out how 22 to 24 year olds are on Euro 144 from this week. They were on Euro 150. It also states also that the amount is applicable to new claimants rather than existing claimants which seems surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

Everyone was cut approx €8 on welfare, yes?

Not true, the blasted pensioners were untouched AGAIN

Yes I am claiming for a qualified adult, but 4% of €106.90 is €4.28 so even if it was doubled it doesn't add up..

This was confusing me too, when I found out today that my payment (DA - means tested against OH's income) has been reduced by €13.30. They have reduced the means allowed by a couple from €326.10 to €312.80 per week, exactly €13.30. Is this the same situation for you?

This was confusing me too, when I found out today that my payment (DA - means tested against OH's income) has been reduced by €13.30. They have reduced the means allowed by a couple from €326.10 to €312.80 per week, exactly €13.30. Is this the same situation for you?

Feck it's looking that way, thats a cut of 12.45% for me the shower of fcuks..

Feck it's looking that way, thats a cut of 12.45% for me the shower of fcuks..

Same here, but €13.30 is just about 4% of the old €326.10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Here no cuts
    Got my SWA today and was still 196.00???

• Advertisement

Here no cuts
    Got my SWA today and was still 196.00???

Are you aged between 18 and 21? Jobseekers and SWA for that age group was not reduced in the Budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Nope 49

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Are you aged between 18 and 21? Jobseekers and SWA for that age group was not reduced in the Budget.
    Is that for JSB or another social welfare payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭carm

Same here, but €13.30 is just about 4% of the old €326.10.

Me too, only I've got a 21% cut leaving me with E54 a week. What a result after 20 years working and paying tax.

Hope Ó Cuív enjoyed his Christmas and New Year and the people who voted him in.

Is that for JSB or another social welfare payment?

No, for JSA and Supplementary Welfare Allowance and looking at it again, those aged 18 to 21 who had no further reductions applied were those already reduced to Euro 100.00

Your posts are giving people some extremely poor, wrong, information.

Everyone on JSB/JSA was reduced the €8, and the €6 was an additional cut. If you're 22, 23, etc. then you're ultimately cut €14.

The only confusion lies in some people not getting cut. Most notably, under 24s not being cut the additional €6. I, myself, 22, was cut €8, but should have been cut the additional €6 aswell (though I'm not getting too excited, I presume they'll take it next week).

General thought seems to be that the €6 is only for new or recent claimants, but there's nothing official backing that up.

• Advertisement

Your posts are giving people some extremely poor, wrong, information.

Everyone on JSB/JSA was reduced the €8, and the €6 was an additional cut. If you're 22, 23, etc. then you're ultimately cut €14.

The only confusion lies in some people not getting cut. Most notably, under 24s not being cut the additional €6. I, myself, 22, was cut €8, but should have been cut the additional €6 aswell (though I'm not getting too excited, I presume they'll take it next week).

General thought seems to be that the €6 is only for new or recent claimants, but there's nothing official backing that up.

The Budget document was the source for my posting that SWA and JSA for 18 to 21 year olds were untouched in recent Budget http://www.budget.gov.ie/budgets/2011/Documents/Summary%20of%20Measures%20Combined.pdf Page B15 I did add that looking at it again,it would seem that those aged 18 to 21 who had no further reductions applied were those already reduced to Euro 100.00

Perhaps those 22 to 24 year olds who were long enough on JSA [ You were at least 20 years of age on 30 December 2009 and became unemployed on or before 30 December 2009] to escape previous budget age cuts were cut by €8 this time and those of that age group falling outside that exemption and therefore affected by age cuts in earlier budgets and already reduced to max payment of €150 are now cut by €6.00 only in this budget. I mistakenly thought at one point that all 22 to 24 year olds would be cut by only €6.00.

Insofar as I can make out , based on Budget statement and Citizens Information documents, no 22 to 24 year old will be hit by a combined €8 and €6 reduction totalling €14.00 but rather by one or the other depending on their max possible payment prior to this Budget.

It is an unfolding story and prior to the reduced payments of this week, not always clear how the Budget cuts would play out.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_allowance.html

Advertisement