Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 6700S on Meteor - network unlock online?

Options
  • 30-12-2010 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,936 ✭✭✭✭

Brother's girlfriend has a Nokia 6700S (as below) on Meteor.. it's only about a month old but she's spending a fortune as most of her friends are on Vodafone so she wants to go back for her free calls etc.

0423.jpg

A local shop in town quoted her €30 for the unlock but said I could probably get her an unlocking code for half that.

The only problems is there's so many, and although practically all offer a money back guarantee, I rather get one that was recommended.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

€30 isnt to bad tbh.

Has she tried the Vodafone route?

They will give the code for free, she would have to spend €130 on her account in the past 6 months which i take it she hasnt done, but she could get the code on someone else's account. Go online to my account on vodafone.ie, the person enters her imei number, and code is sent via email or text. So if she knows anyone on bill, or anyone who has spent the €127 in the past 6 months on credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,936 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cheers Davy.. €30 isn't too bad alright. But I've seen sites offering unlocking codes for €2.99 or £4.99 with money-back guarantees.. but they could be as dodgy as frig and god knows how long you could be waiting for a refund. It'd be an inevitable ongoing Paypal dispute! :D

My mother has probably spent €127 in the past 6 months, and she's on Vodafone... so maybe I'll try that.

Would it not be Meteor she'd go through since the phone is locked to, and originally bought on, Meteor?

Cheers mate.

basquille wrote: »
    My mother has probably spent €127 in the past 6 months, and she's on Vodafone... so maybe I'll try that.

Would it not be Meteor she'd go through since the phone is locked to, and originally bought on, Meteor?

Sorry my bad, I read the post wrong :o. Yes it would be meteor you need the code off, and they wont give it like vodafone would. Needs to be on her account

Balls..

.. might give one of the cheapie services a go. I saw one for €2.99 so if they work, all good. And if not, I'm only down €2.99.

Let me know how you get on, but I think you will have to get it done locally in the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

I can guarantee you, that any service costing €2.99 will not unlock a Nokia 6700, so don't even waste the price of it

The price you were quoted locally isn't bad as these are Nokia BB5 SL3 which is the newest simlock type and not everybody can do them, and most of them have to pay for server credits in the first place to unlock your phone

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    I can guarantee you, that any service costing €2.99 will not unlock a Nokia 6700, so don't even waste the price of it

The price you were quoted locally isn't bad as these are Nokia BB5 SL3 which is the newest simlock type and not everybody can do them, and most of them have to pay for server credits in the first place to unlock your phone
    Yeah, I probably won't bother as a quick Google reveals that they're not easy to unlock alright.

Cheapest online unlock was €27.99 from Ebay so feck it, let the local guy try it!

Yeah, I think so, even though the ebay lad is slightly less, if it doesnt work you can always jump the counter with the local guy!! :D

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Yeah, I think so, even though the ebay lad is slightly less, if it doesnt work you can always jump the counter with the local guy!! :D
    True enough! :D

I've a feeling this guy just said "ahhh yeah, I can unlock it!" on a whim. Sure, the brother's girlfriend didn't even know the phone model until I had a look at it.

If he can unlock it, great.. but I have my doubts. Options then might be slim!

Worst comes to worst, post it to the big smoke :p

• Advertisement

Ah! I was actually gonna say that to you
    Not all shops can do them tbh
    The fact he didn't even know the model before quoting would make me wonder
    Also, any place that CAN do them, will generally have to keep the phone in for anything from a couple of hours to a few days depending on the load on the unlock server. Either that or they'll read the phone, take full payment, and give you the phone back until they receive the unlock data

Cheers lads.. will let ye know how it works out.

She was half tempted just to pick up a new phone on Vodafone to save the hassle.

Advertisement