Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe practice spot?

• 30-12-2010 7:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭

I'm going to ask about the cardinal sin. Paddling alone!

All the guys I paddle with are level 4 and 5 and all this week they're out doing the Dargle and the upper Liffey while Mr level 2 here has to stay at home :(

The club isn't running any trips until the new year so I was wondering are there any really safe spots where I could go and practice rolling and some other skills. I have a decent roll although it hasn't really been tested yet in combat. There is a set of fish boxes up on the Tolka, viewable from the Finglas road that has a nice flow on it, but the river narrows out about 300 feet down river and it becomes very shallow. Worst that can happen is I end up on my knees there chasing my boat :o . It looks safe enough but do any lads out there know any tried and tested spots. I'd like to have some practice down before the new year so I can try out the Avonmore again with a decent roll.

Feel free to chastise :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

White water kayaking is a risk sport, understand the risk of what you are doing and make your own informed decisions based on experience and what you feel comfortable with while understanding the potential consequences of your actions.

As a side note the Tolka is minging!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

White water kayaking is a risk sport, understand the risk of what you are doing and make your own informed decisions based on experience and what you feel comfortable with while the potential consequences of your actions.

As a side note the Tolka is minging!
    Thanks for that, I guess it's just frustration about not getting out. It's like when you were younger and not getting picked to play football on the road because you weren't good enough! :)

I'll have a good think, very true the Tolka isn't clean at all I might reconsider that spot it just looked safe enough. I might badger the lads into a Boyne trip or something.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

paddle on the poddle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

If you know some other lads who are in the same boat as yourself then get a group of ye together and rent a pool, perfect place to practice your rolling and improve on other skills :)

tom_ass19 wrote: »
    If you know some other lads who are in the same boat as yourself then get a group of ye together and rent a pool, perfect place to practice your rolling and improve on other skills :)

That's a crackin' idea I'll look into that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Lochlannach

I sometimes head down to the milltown feeder canal near me if I find I've time to kill and there's no paddle going on (or there's too little time to drive to the organised paddle from Kildare). The water is crystal clear as it's the main feeder to the canal network being fed from springs in the pollardstown fen just upstream a bit. I can practice rolls etc. to my hearts content or go for a fitness paddle. Only problem is I sometimes get bored quickly as there's no flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BOOF IT STEVE

Im sure there are other people in your club that are at the same level as u and want to get out, u could get that group active on suitable rivers with the supervision of senior members as the dargle etc is not always running and there is always some1 to help.. our club has many groups at different levels and and as the groups get more experience the "skilled" group gets more paddlers from the less skilled paddler. if ya used this strategy you ll soon be on the dargle with the lads..

one paddling on your own-

I dont agree with it u never know what could happen where water is concerned

Yeh thanks for all that lads I'm sussing out a few options at the moment. I'm breaking the golden rule of WWKC by going alone, as less than 3 there never shall be and all that.
    The pool is back running this week so I'll have a thursday rolling session sorted. I have said it to the lads too and they've made time on a Sunday for some paddling up at sluice or down at palmerstown weir, so maybe they're all options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Solo boating can be a very rewarding experience, surprisingly different to going out with buddies. I love it.

Stay safe and within your skill level though, you know the story.

wet-paint wrote: »
    Solo boating can be a very rewarding experience, surprisingly different to going out with buddies. I love it.

Stay safe and within your skill level though, you know the story.

Absolutely, I reckon I should probably wait until the roll is bullet proof before taking on anything. I could always pop up to Blessington lake and practice the roll on the lake edge, I've been there before so I know its a good deep spot and flowless. Worst that can happen is I pull out and swim a few feet back to the bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

yomchi wrote: »
    I could always pop up to Blessington lake and practice the roll on the lake edge, I've been there before so I know its a good deep spot and flowless. Worst that can happen is I pull out and swim a few feet back to the bank.
    I'd recommend bringing a mate along if you can, then at least if you blow a roll, he can just t-rescue you and vice-versa (if he/she's at the same level). Also make sure the ESB don't catch you, last time I looked you needed a permit to paddle on the lake.

Sound I'll check that out

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭redzone

The canals are usually ok. The water is clear enough to see any hazards ie. shopping trollies etc that you wouldnt see in the river. Just pick a spot with a low bank.

I'd also echo what Adrian said and also keep in mind that rolling alot in cold water can sap your energy very quickly and make you dizzy and light headed causing confusion.

The pool is a far better option for now but if you do decide to go alone Don't, bring a mate with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

Just thought of this aswell, I haven't gone out on my own and no intensions to either, don't mean to sound rude sorry ^^

Tell someone where you are going :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

If you are thinking of going out on your own make sure whatever run you're doing is below your skill level. Or try some small surf, if you stay within your own depth it's a great experience and rolling practice ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

yomchi wrote: »
    Absolutely, I reckon I should probably wait until the roll is bullet proof before taking on anything. I could always pop up to Blessington lake and practice the roll on the lake edge, I've been there before so I know its a good deep spot and flowless. Worst that can happen is I pull out and swim a few feet back to the bank.

afaik you need a permit to paddle on blessington lake, from the ESB.

Edit: already mentioned!!!

Advertisement