Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moderator test

Options
  • 30-12-2010 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

was just thnking that it would be good to do a moderator comparrison test. i have a .25 ase utra jet z compact with a 5/8x18 thread so just wondering is there any lads out there with mods in the same thread that would be willing to meet up and do some testing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Do you have a sound meter and chronograph to test before and after shots ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

couldnt be arsed buying a chronograph unless someone had one to give a lend of, if a few lads were willing to come i'd buy a sound meter, something like this should do the job
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Accurate...item2eb009b221

ormondprop wrote: »
    couldnt be arsed buying a chronograph unless someone had one to give a lend of, if a few lads were willing to come i'd buy a sound meter, something like this should do the job
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Accurate...item2eb009b221

Sorry but i dont think that will do it. My pistol fires at about 160+ db..... my suppressor spec says it knocks off just over 30 db so it still might be too loud with the suppressor on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

was just thnking that it would be good to do a moderator comparrison test. i have a .25 ase utra jet z compact with a 5/8x18 thread so just wondering is there any lads out there with mods in the same thread that would be willing to meet up and do some testing

I have a t8 on my tikka .223. I think it has the same thread as yours and I am in tip as well so I can meet up with you if you want.

Excuse the pun but it sounds interesting. ;)

sounds like a plan. even though the t8 prob wont fit on my rifle i'd still like to see how my mod compares to yours on your tikka, just have to see does anyone else want to meet up aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shanmoll308

Hey Poulo you can collect my chronograph on your way if its of any use to ye. But be warned if you shoot it..its your's :D

Shanmoll308.

Hey Poulo you can collect my chronograph on your way if its of any use to ye. But be warned if you shoot it..its your's :D

Shanmoll308.

Cheers Shanmoll I will take you up on that if you don't mind. It would kill 2 birds for me as I want to check the MV of the superformance ammo I got. It states 3000fps on the box tested with a 24" barrel. My barrel is 22.5" so will be interesting.

Thanks

i have a few other lads on a differant site who will meet up aswell so this could work out, just have to save up and find a good sound meter now,
    i just hate the way you get feck all good comparrisons of equipment, before i bought my mod the only one i heard in the flesh was a t8 and was great for sound reduction but i didnt want anything that big on my rifle, so i was only going on what other people said about their mods as a guide on what to buy, atleast if we do side by side comparrisons of them people will know which is smallest, lightest or best for sound reduction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

i have a few other lads on a differant site who will meet up aswell so this could work out, just have to save up and find a good sound meter now,
    i just hate the way you get feck all good comparrisons of equipment, before i bought my mod the only one i heard in the flesh was a t8 and was great for sound reduction but i didnt want anything that big on my rifle, so i was only going on what other people said about their mods as a guide on what to buy, atleast if we do side by side comparrisons of them people will know which is smallest, lightest or best for sound reduction

Relative to calibre though

.270 is one of the loudest rifles to hush
    .220 swift is also extremely loud amongst others.

that all depends on everyone here to help out, if we get enough calibre's and mods with similar threads
    and most importantly, it wud be a bit of craic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

I have a PES T12 scout on a .223 Tikka, might be able to make this aswell pending when its on!

I'm going to try out the S5 ASE ULTRA on the .308 tomorrow.

Turns out it is the same thread so I can bring both Mods with me, and try both

attachment.php?attachmentid=141446&d=1293823813

She is smaller in overall length but perhaps similar in effective length

Depending when and where Id love to come along :)

i dont mind when we do it or where, has anybody got a good place where they zero their rifles that would do

i dont mind when we do it or where, has anybody got a good place where they zero their rifles that would do

i have a place up the mountain from me where i regularly 0 and practice, and is commonly used by other shooters for 0'ing there.
    its miles from any houses and easy to get to if it suits people to come to clonmel;)

other than that i'm flexible on traveling:D

sounds good to me if other lads are willing to travel there, will have to source a soundmeter first

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    It would kill 2 birds for me as I want to check the MV of the superformance ammo I got.
    Thanks

maybe you could kill 3 birds if you can persuade somebody with a .204 to come:D

sounds good to me if other lads are willing to travel there, will have to source a soundmeter first

i will make some inquiries here and see what i can come up with

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭foxboy

would love to go aswell, depending where and when, Clonmel sounds good
    have remington 700 .223 and should have au northstar in a week or so, waiting for permission
    the northstar is 1/2" unf

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

i'd be interested as well ,i have 2 mods at the moment a ase north star and a roedale delta light ,both in .30 cal threaded 1/2 x 20 unf ...use them both on my .308 and .223 .would be great to see how they compare to others ,,,clonmel would suit me as well ..
    ian

• Advertisement

i was asking around and its very hard to come by sound meters that measure over 130db and they are very expensive so it was recommended to get one that will go to 130db and place it 5 or 10m to the side of the rifle and it should work then

i was asking around and its very hard to come by sound meters that measure over 130db and they are very expensive so it was recommended to get one that will go to 130db and place it 5 or 10m to the side of the rifle and it should work then

Sure once we keep the sound meter in the same place and shoot from the same place that should be good enough for a comparison

i was hoping you'd say that because i wasn't going spending a fortune on one, i'll buy a sound meter so and as soon as i get it we can arrange a date that suits everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

if ye're gonna have a chronograph i wouldn't mind giving it a go, i'd love to find out what my actual mv is. i've got a au northstar in .25 cal, so it would be interesting to see if there was much between it and the 30 cal on a 223. i'm only a half hour from clonmel, so if i'm not working it would be no bother for me to come down

just came across this for free, just 17 euro for postage, the site obviously made a mistake as i googled it and its worth over 200euro, have no feckin money on my credit card though, i wonder if i bought it would i have gotten away with it
    http://soundmeter.ie/sound-meters/sound-meter-407750-sound-level-meter-with-pc-interface.html

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭foxboy

maybe, I think they would not be able to charge you any more than the €17 as it would be an unauthorised charge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

just came across this for free, just 17 euro for postage, the site obviously made a mistake as i googled it and its worth over 200euro, have no feckin money on my credit card though, i wonder if i bought it would i have gotten away with it
    http://soundmeter.ie/sound-meters/sound-meter-407750-sound-level-meter-with-pc-interface.html
    foxboy wrote: »
    maybe, I think they would not be able to charge you any more than the €17 as it would be an unauthorised charge

At that money you should give it a go but chances are they will refund you the postage and not send it on.
    But if the order department is not aware of the zero charge then it will get shipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭welsummer

I'm going to try out the S5 ASE ULTRA on the .308 tomorrow.She is smaller in overall length but perhaps similar in effective length .

i had a s5 for a couple of days, using it on a 243 and gave it back. it was nowhere near as effective as the t8.

i would love to hear the results of you test, instead of the usual sales from a sales man

welsummer wrote: »
    I'm going to try out the S5 ASE ULTRA on the .308 tomorrow.She is smaller in overall length but perhaps similar in effective length .

i had a s5 for a couple of days, using it on a 243 and gave it back. it was nowhere near as effective as the t8.

i would love to hear the results of you test, instead of the usual sales from a sales man

I need a Camera Man to record :D

The Reflex is quite good, however there is a tinnie sound to it.
    The ASE will be tested tomorrow avo all things going well

• Advertisement

there is a lad near me that has a db meter for €80 or for hire for €15 for a day. what do you think

Advertisement