Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Removing facial hair

• 30-12-2010 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Like many women, I have a light moustache which needs removing every four weeks or so. This past year, I've been using Boots facial hair remover, the gentle version. I'm looking for alternatives that contain as few chemicals / toxins as possible, as my skin is very sensitive.

Any tips, girls?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Have you tried threading, OP? Could be a good alternative as it requires no products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭ciaobellaciao1

Twee. wrote: »
    Have you tried threading, OP? Could be a good alternative as it requires no products.

No, I haven't. I intend to try it though. Have read about it and am bemused as to how a piece of thread can actually remove hair. I read it's pain-free, but I'm not so sure. Anyone here try it? Does it work on all parts of the face? Is the treatment costly? Hope someone can answer my questions. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

It's about as pain free as getting hair ripped out of your upper lip :p ah the pain isn't bad, it doesn't exactly tickle but it's bearable, just a bit stingy. You'll generally pay somewhere in the region of €10-15 for areas like the lip and chin depending on the place. I find it much less harsh on the skin than waxing and creams and the results are great- it's definitely worth it in my opinion and I'd recommend it to anyone. I think you'll find the results last much longer than hair removal cream as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭ciaobellaciao1

Gauge wrote: »
    It's about as pain free as getting hair ripped out of your upper lip :p ah the pain isn't bad, it doesn't exactly tickle but it's bearable, just a bit stingy. You'll generally pay somewhere in the region of €10-15 for areas like the lip and chin depending on the place. I find it much less harsh on the skin than waxing and creams and the results are great- it's definitely worth it in my opinion and I'd recommend it to anyone. I think you'll find the results last much longer than hair removal cream as well.

Thank you for the very informative message. Sounds like a very natural procedure & definitely going to try it out. If it's good enough for the Turks, it's good enough for me. ;-) Just a little worried though that the more people hear about threading, the more those companies manufacturing hair removal creams will go out of business.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

It's so quick and the thread gets loads of hairs at once. It's a little short-lived pinch.

Check out this video for upper lip

And this one kind of explains how the thread works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

I read it's pain-free

Definitly not pain free!! :eek:
    Its pretty much like tweezing in my opinion, If you want to get rid of the hair quick and not have to worry about it for another 6 weeks ( if the growth isnt too bad) then id recommend waxing. Its quick, cheap and painful, but not overly so. Theres more of a lingering sting than pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

I get my upper lip threaded. I chose this because I had heard it was best for sensitive skin. And yes , the results are long lasting but my no means is it pain free. I would have tears running down the side of my face. But that could just be me and having especially deep-rooted hair or something.

And also, I have small but bright red spots (with heads) all over the area for about 8days afterwards. My beautician recommended applying straight tea tree but in the end has just acknowledged that yeah that just happens to some people. Tbh this makes me more self conscious than the hair. And I end up hiding behind scarves.

I assume that waxing would have a similar effect due to more skin being removed?

Does hair removal cream not result in a stubblier regrowth?

Id love to find a way to avoid this but i think i have to just suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

I get my upper lip threaded. I chose this because I had heard it was best for sensitive skin. And yes , the results are long lasting but my no means is it pain free. I would have tears running down the side of my face. But that could just be me and having especially deep-rooted hair or something.

And also, I have small but bright red spots (with heads) all over the area for about 8days afterwards. My beautician recommended applying straight tea tree but in the end has just acknowledged that yeah that just happens to some people. Tbh this makes me more self conscious than the hair. And I end up hiding behind scarves.

I assume that waxing would have a similar effect due to more skin being removed?

Does hair removal cream not result in a stubblier regrowth?

Id love to find a way to avoid this but i think i have to just suck it up.

The reaction your having after hair removal is called a hystamine reaction, Im surprised your beautician is telling you to use straight Tea Tree oil on the area, this can be quite harsh for sensitive skin. Usually in salons your not supposed to put anything on the area for up to 24 hours after the hair removal.( apart from the after wax lotion they apply immediatly afterwards which has some diluted tea tree and aloe vera in it) What about going to salon services / hennesseys to buy some after wax to use yourself the following day? Might take down the reaction, or else you could try some anti Hystamine tablets?
    Hair removal cream has the same re growth as shaving as the hair is just being taken from skin level, the skin feels smoother for the first day or two in my opinion though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭Eibhin

Definitely go for the threading. No chemicals involved at all. As with all hair removal, make sure you don't go on an empty stomach and maybe take a couple of paracetamol beforehand. It is really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Zoe B

Hi! The only thing is threading is not permanent and can irritate the skin. Have you heard of Applisonix? You should look it up on the internet! It is permanent and works on all hair colours and all skin types and it is 100% safe and non invasive! I had it done and am delighted with the results and the big bonus is it's virtually pain free! :) After years of trying other methods, I actually found something that works! I have very skin sensitive skin myself and i tried laser but i got a burn from it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

The reaction your having after hair removal is called a hystamine reaction

ooh interesting! A beautician friend did just tell me that I could be allergic to the thread? And thats why I get this reaction? But that she had never heard of someone actually being allergic it was just a possibility.

Applisonix sounds too good to be true! How expensive is it? Are there no side effects at all?

Actually something I was wondering, you know in some salons they out some cover up on the area afterwards? To mask any redness? Well how long are those brushes there for? Do you think they get sterilised between uses (hardly) or at the end of each day? They must be a haven of bacteria surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I have very sensitive skin too, OP, but prefer to take care of all my grooming needs from home.
    I use depilitory cream such as Veet for sensitive skin, but it still made my skin flare up. I now put a thick layer of Vaseline on first, then put the cream on over it. Leave it on for the specified amount of time and then wipe off.
    I usually have a bit of redness for a few mins but then it goes away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Zoe B

Em not sure of the answer about the brushes but with Applisonix doesn't leave any redness and there are no side effects at all! I know, it really does sound too good to be true but it actually is true! I got it done in Lipstick Beauty Clinic in Dublin 3, phone number is 8339922 if you want it! Really lovely lady in there and really professional! She does a free consultation (and can discuss a lot over the phone with you) so you can make your mind up after that!

It costs €2.50 per minute but I bought a course of 200 mins which was €400, so you save €100 doing it that way!

Hope this helps!!

Zoe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

I recommend lazer.Its fantastic and so cheap now.It hurts when ur getting it done but its over in seconds...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LittlePaddy

Zoe B wrote: »
    Em not sure of the answer about the brushes but with Applisonix doesn't leave any redness and there are no side effects at all! I know, it really does sound too good to be true but it actually is true! I got it done in Lipstick Beauty Clinic in Dublin 3, phone number is 8339922 if you want it! Really lovely lady in there and really professional! She does a free consultation (and can discuss a lot over the phone with you) so you can make your mind up after that!

It costs €2.50 per minute but I bought a course of 200 mins which was €400, so you save €100 doing it that way!

Hope this helps!!

Zoe

HI
    AS a result of this post i checked out this clinic and there is now another option called Apilus electrolysis. The lady at the clinic gave me the option of trying both options .ie. the Apisonix and the Apilus... Both are basically pain free for me. A little bit of reddening for a couple of hours after the Apilus. I've since been back about 3 times for Apilus treatment as it appears to be very effective on the blond hairs on my chin. I guess time will tell. I've had laser in the past and ive had very successful results but not on blond hairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

I would go with the Apilus electrolysis. This is the newest type of electrolysis machine. It is is the only proven permanent method of hair removal (if carried out correctly)

Applisonix had no medical backing unfortunately and laser is only suitable for coarse dark hair.

Advertisement