Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor refund refusal

Options
  • 30-12-2010 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭tophurler

Hi all,

I bought a mobile phone from a meteor store a few days before Christmas as a gift for someone, however that person received another phone and now this one is surplus to requirements, I contacted the meteor store and asked if they would be able to offer me a refund. I was told on the phone that if I had the receipt (which I do) and that it has not been opened (which it hasn't) then the manager of the shop may offer a refund.

I travelled to the shop, asked for the manager and was told that refunds are never given. I explained what I was told on the phone and the manager said that she would speak to the person who told me that information but that there was nothing she could do.

Do I have any leg to stand on?

TH

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

no

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

No. The person on the phone said you may get a refund. It's at the discretion of the store manager.
    As there is nothing wrong with the phone, the shop does not have to refund you anything. However, most big chains offer refunds or credit notes, but it's entirely a gesture of goodwill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

by law you do have a leg to stand on
    you have 28 days to change it once you have receipt and its unopened any more inquiries please ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭tophurler

thanks guys,

do i have 28 days to get a refund though? or is it just to swap the phone for something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

jimmynokia wrote: »
    you have 28 days to change it once you have receipt and its unopened any more inquiries please ask.
    No you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

No you don't. The National Consumer Agency clearly states that
    Where there is nothing specifically wrong or faulty with the goods and you simply no longer want them for whatever reason, this is regarded as a "change of mind". You have no automatic entitlement under consumer law to a refund in such circumstances.
    link

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

cast_iron wrote: »
    No. The person on the phone said you may get a refund. It's at the discretion of the store manager.
    As there is nothing wrong with the phone, the shop does not have to refund you anything. However, most big chains offer refunds or credit notes, but it's entirely a gesture of goodwill.

this is the answer

sorry OP, the item is not faulty, they have no obligation to take it back

ok thanks cyning! That "change of mind" was mentioned in my discussion with the manager, thanks for clarifying it for me!

No you don't.

yes yo do end of conversation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

He has linked to proof of his point. Post a link to back up yours.

• Advertisement

tophurler wrote: »
    ok thanks cyning! That "change of mind" was mentioned in my discussion with the manager, thanks for clarifying it for me!

you did not change your mind

every christmas this happens with any shop .gifts purchased for xmas as gifts
    you have a right for refund or credit full stop
    if they disagree take it to the NCA or small claims court

cast_iron wrote: »
    He has linked to proof of his point. Post a link to back up yours.

i dont need it pal you have 28 days full stop
    and lets just say i work in the business (thats my link):D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

What are you talking about? Your totally incorrect. Of course he changed his mind. He purchased it and now he wants to return it. No fault of meteor.

You're wrong i'm afraid. They are obliged to give a refund or replacement only in the case of a faulty item. Anything else comes under manager's discretion.

You don't need proof? When you state something that people know has no backing under consumer law you do need to provide some form of proof. Simply making empty statements like "i work in the business" doesn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I don't know whether you have any right to a refund (link to NCA website seems to say you don't) but you could always try another meteor store. When I had a problem with my phone, I brought it back to my local store even though I bought elsewhere due to no stock locally and there wasn't any problem. You may come across a more accommodating manager in another store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

every christmas this happens with any shop .gifts purchased for xmas as gifts
    Stop spreading false and inaccurate information.

Your rights as a consumer are primarily covered under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980, which deals only if a product was mis-sold to you or faulty. If there is nothing wrong with the product other than you have changed your mind (in this case, the OP bought it and decided they no longer wished to give it as a gift), then you are not covered whatsoever by this act.

Anything which a store does give you is entirely a goodwill gesture on their part but they are perfectly entitled to refuse to do anything for you.

He did as a matter of fact. He bought a gift and it was returned to him. Not the shop's fault.
    Please don't. It's bad enough giving people bad information but telling them to waste their time and money in the small claims court over a case they have no chance of winning is not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

so your company has a 28 day (change of mind/unopened box) policy, good for them. . . it isn't law though, i'm afraid

going by that link I think a visit to the Small Claims court would leave me looking stupid! I bought the phone as a present for someone, who also got a phone so I did change my mind

• Advertisement

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I don't know whether you have any right to a refund (link to NCA website seems to say you don't) but you could always try another meteor store. When I had a problem with my phone, I brought it back to my local store even though I bought elsewhere due to no stock locally and there wasn't any problem. You may come across a more accommodating manager in another store.
    This is good advice. So long as you aren't acting aggressively or ranting on about non-existent "rights" you may have luck with another store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

tophurler wrote: »
    going by that link I think a visit to the Small Claims court would leave me looking stupid! I bought the phone as a present for someone, who also got a phone so I did change my mind
    You could try flogging the phone on adverts.ie if meteor refuse to budge. How much you'll get though is another question, particularly as the phone is in all likelihood locked to meteor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Not entitled to refund, exchange or credit. Change of mind is not covered under the sale of goods act. If the store/company don't have a "change of mind" option then you're out of luck.

This is good advice. So long as you aren't acting aggressively or ranting on about non-existent "rights" you may have luck with another store.

And from someone who does work in a phone shop: mostly they are taken back when they are unopened: it can depend on the mood of the person you are talking to too though. I'd say try again, and do try to speak to someone else...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Jackobyte wrote: »
    One other thing, don't say you have tried to return it to another store. They mightn't be too happy to realise that you only came to their shop to take advantage of their good will.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It's actually pretty bad form they wouldn't give you at least a credit note if it was unopened.

I know, I was slightly annoyed as I got into the car and drove to the shop based on the person's information from the phone call! I suppose I learned a lesson, always ask to speak to the organ grinder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Maybe it's time you consider a different business :P

ok answer this i bought several items as gifts early December some where duplicated ie somebody bet me to it with same gift i brought them back to point of purchase not one bit of hassle refunded on my 3 items respectivly. Once you have a receipt and tell store its a gift and its unopened every store should have a clear policy in view all items can be exchanged within 28 working days once unopened and proof of purchase .nothing to do with change of mind,in any case meteor can be a shower of fcuks at the best of times.

• Advertisement

ok answer this i bought several items as gifts early December some where duplicated ie somebody bet me to it with same gift i brought them back to point of purchase not one bit of hassle refunded on my 3 items respectivly. Once you have a receipt and tell store its a gift and its unopened every store should have a clear policy in view all items can be exchanged within 28 working days once unopened and proof of purchase .

It's good customer service but it's not law

nothing to do with change of mind,
    It IS change of mind. There is nothing wrong with the phone.

Advertisement