Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor refund refusal

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

jimmynokia wrote: »
    ok answer this i bought several items as gifts early December some where duplicated ie somebody bet me to it with same gift i brought them back to point of purchase not one bit of hassle refunded on my 3 items respectivly.
    That was nice of them. Doesn't mean they're obliged to though.
    Once you have a receipt and tell store its a gift and its unopened every store should have a clear policy in view all items can be exchanged within 28 working days once unopened and proof of purchase .
    The problem with that is that everyone will say "Ah, it was an unwanted gift". Shops can't absorb the costs of people buying things and returning them simply because they no longer want it. Even those that do offer a change of mind policy often add "At manager's discretion" to allow themselves the ability to refuse. There simply is no law or right that permits people "28 working days" (Almost two calendar months...) of time in which they can return an item.
    nothing to do with change of mind
    It has everything to do with change of mind. The shop sold the consumer a functioning and perfectly adequate product. If the customers wants to return a faultless product then it's as good as selling the item back to the shop in which case they have every right to refuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

The difference is that it's a phone, not a pair of shoes. All department stores and most high street shops will offer you a goodwill refund for 28 days, the exceptions being one-off shops, boutiques..and Office. Electrical goods and phones are much harder to return and tend to stick to actual consumer law, wouldn't blame them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I suspect masternokia is trolling. Nobody "In the biz" would be this unaware. The store would go under straight after Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I suspect masternokia is trolling. Nobody "In the biz" would be this unaware. The store would go under straight after Christmas
    He's not, he posted the same wrong information in the Mobiles & PDA forum once before.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ok answer this i bought several items as gifts early December some where duplicated ie somebody bet me to it with same gift i brought them back to point of purchase not one bit of hassle refunded on my 3 items respectivly. Once you have a receipt and tell store its a gift and its unopened every store should have a clear policy in view all items can be exchanged within 28 working days once unopened and proof of purchase .nothing to do with change of mind,in any case meteor can be a shower of fcuks at the best of times.

Yes Jimmy lots of shops operate this policy but it's not a legal requirement. Read this link: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

It doesn't matter in the slightest if something was given as a gift, the shop only has a contract with the person who bought the product and they have no legal requirement to do anything unless the product is faulty.

If you read that link you'll see that there are no grounds for redress if someone changes their mind but you insist that this is not a change of mind because it was a gift. If a shop doesn't have to give a refund for a change of mind but does have to for a gift, what's to stop someone who's just changed their mind claiming something was a gift........?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Trying to return it to another store is a fairly good idea. In my experience shops will hesitate to offer a goodwill refund if business is slow. Another shop usually won't hesitate to offer a refund if they know they can sell the item on again easily enough. I'd try one of your bigger high street stores.

He's not, he posted the same wrong information in the Mobiles & PDA forum once before.
    wow:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

ok answer this i bought several items as gifts early December some where duplicated ie somebody bet me to it with same gift i brought them back to point of purchase not one bit of hassle refunded on my 3 items respectivly.

As other posters have pointed out, this was due to the returns/refund policy operated by the retailer. It has no basis in Consumer Law (or any other form of law).
    jimmynokia wrote:
    Once you have a receipt and tell store its a gift and its unopened every store should have a clear policy in view all items can be exchanged within 28 working days once unopened and proof of purchase

That would be in an ideal world. However, shops cannot subsidise present giving and it would be unreasonable to expect every shop to take back purchases.
    jimmynokia wrote:
    nothing to do with change of mind

Technically, it is change of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

no such thing pal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I like the way you can ignore people by clicking their name on this version of vbulletin.

• Advertisement

does only work for pms?

Please stick to the topic at hand

dudara

explain ? I was asking a simple question thats off topic in relation to above post

@jimmynokia - If you want assistance on how Boards functions, then please use the Helpdesk forum. Please stick to the topic on this thread

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'd say pop the phone up on adverts.ie if you need to clear it. :(

Lots of mis-information in here.

When did you buy the phone, OP?

Meteor allow 14 days for you to return your phone, even if you did just change your mind.

From Meteor.ie;

Returns information:

If you change your mind about your purchase (we all do it!), you have 14 days to return it to us for a full refund. If you find that your phone is faulty you have 28 days to return it for a refund or exchange.

If you need to return your order simply follow the instructions below.

Phones bought in retail stores:

Simply bring your phone back in to one of our stores and we will process the return for you.

Phones bought in our online store:

1. Fill in our online store returns form
    2. Choose whether you would like to return or replace your purchase.
    3. We will send a postage paid addressed envelope to your address.
    4. Return your order in it’s original packaging along with your delivery docket.

If you’re returning your order due to a fault withing 28 days, you can indicate whether you require a refund or a replacement. We are unable to offer refunds or exchanges on phones that have been physically damaged.
    Christmas Orders:

Phones received as gifts on Christmas day and activated on that day can be returned up to 28 days after Christmas day.

Repairs Information

For all you need to need to know about phone repairs visit our Repairs page

http://www.meteor.ie/support/welcome/repairs_returns/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

As KKV mentioned above, Meteor offer a 14-day "change of mind" return. This woulld form part of your contract of purchase and would be in addition to your statutory rights.

As this is part of your contract with Meteor, the store manager would have no option but to refund you if you changed your mind within the 14-day period. By refusing to honour the contract the manager has exceeded their authority and may be subject to disiplinary action by their employer, Meteor (Eircom).

The OP should make a formal compaint regarding the managers conduct to Meteor Head Office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

i dont need it pal you have 28 days full stop
    and lets just say i work in the business (thats my link):D

if you can show me where in any form of consumer law in ireland this is stated I will give you €1000 in cash. - actually I'll make it €10,000.

btw -to save you looking, my money is safe, as there is no such rule / law in any statute book in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I can understand phone companies being very cautious about refunds, wanting it unopened and with receipt.
    when it comes to phones, especially at the higher end of the price ladder, there is a high risk of people trying to get refunds for either stolen phones, or phones which have either fully or partially (components inside the phone) been replaced with chinese knock-offs.
    that would be why they would be reluctant to make any promises over the phone, and would want to satisfy themselves that they're not being duped, before giving a cash refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭tophurler

I managed to sell the phone on adverts, but should I still make a formal complaint to the Meteor Head Office? One thing for sure I won't be having any dealings with that company in the future

• Advertisement

You could send a mail but you had no legal rights to a refund and the store did absolutely nothing wrong so you probably won't (and shouldn't) get any kind of compensation. It's unfortunate but do not listen to jimmynokia's rambelings. He is totally and completely incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

tophurler wrote: »
    I managed to sell the phone on adverts, but should I still make a formal complaint to the Meteor Head Office? One thing for sure I won't be having any dealings with that company in the future
    Yes a complaint is probably a bit strong since they didn't do anything. You could send a letter outlying the confusion between what you were told on the phone and what you were told in the store. You could also express disappointment that Meteor do not reflect the practise of other stores considering Christmas is often a time of multiple or unwanted gifts. In reality all you'll probably get back is a pre-written mail merge apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭anton

I had similar issue with Meteor in the last couple of days. I wanted to get a refund for HTC Wildfire under their 14 days change-of-mind warranty (phone was open and used for a few days, but I kept all cables and packaging).

Before dropping down to a store, I decided to give 'em a ring to see what would they say. The manager at the store was insisting that they don't do such refunds, even after I rang customer support and they said that indeed they do. Store manager was saying that customer support is not aware of the store's T&C, etc.

I called customer support the second time and was told to simply go to the store and call 'em if store personnel refuses to refund.

In the end I was fully refunded for the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

anton wrote: »
    I had similar issue with Meteor in the last couple of days. I wanted to get a refund for HTC Wildfire under their 14 days change-of-mind warranty (phone was open and used for a few days, but I kept all cables and packaging).

Before dropping down to a store, I decided to give 'em a ring to see what would they say. The manager at the store was insisting that they don't do such refunds, even after I rang customer support and they said that indeed they do. Store manager was saying that customer support is not aware of the store's T&C, etc.

I called customer support the second time and was told to simply go to the store and call 'em if store personnel refuses to refund.

In the end I was fully refunded for the phone.
    Is that warranty only on their online store or does it include instore purchases? I'm unsure over a purchase and this would be awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭anton

It was unclear to me as well, the return policy on the website seems to apply to online purchases only, and guys at the store will tell you that 'No, sorry, we don't do that'. But in fact, 14 days 'refund if you didn't like it' _applies_ to phones purchased in brick&mortar stores. Just don't let salespeople mislead you, and call 1890 808 585 if in doubt.

anton wrote: »
    It was unclear to me as well, the return policy on the website seems to apply to online purchases only, and guys at the store will tell you that 'No, sorry, we don't do that'. But in fact, 14 days 'refund if you didn't like it' _applies_ to phones purchased in brick&mortar stores. Just don't let salespeople mislead you, and call 1890 808 585 if in doubt.
    I asked on the Meteor Talk to Us forum and they confirmed that it includes Brick & Mortar shops. Here is a link to Meteor's General Returns Policy which includes physical shops. It mentions the 14 day change of mind returns. Link

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

There is a 14 day cooling off period on contract sales as part of the consumer credit act. This is different to the original OP's position as they had bought a pay as you go. The act only dictates what should happen to the contract(pay what you owe and walk away) it doesn't say what should happen to the phone but as long as the phone was complete and there was no physical damage, the phone shop I worked in used to take it back.

But if the phone is bought on the Internet, you have a 7 day change of mind according tot the distance selling act. But the phone must be unopened and unused as the act allows to to have the same view of the phone as if it was in a shop.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/distance_selling.html

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1995/en/act/pub/0024/index.html

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    There is a 14 day cooling off period on contract sales as part of the consumer credit act. This is different to the original OP's position as they had bought a pay as you go.

From the meteor website:
    If you change your mind about your purchase (we all do it!), you have 14 days to return it to us for a full refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Oops, my mistake, thats v. generous of meteor!

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Oops, my mistake, thats v. generous of meteor!
    Very, especially since you are allowed open the packaging and play with the phone for the 14 days. Once everything that came with the phone is returned, they say that it can be returned solely due to change of mind. Topic in Meteor Customer Care forum.

Advertisement