Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tea & apple tart

Options
  • 30-12-2010 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

I paid €14 for tea for two and two pieces of apple tart in a coffee shop in durrow yesterday. As there was no price list on display with the price, Im presuming tea was €2 and tart was €5.. It was only when i was going out the door i realised for another couple of euro i could have got a main course in most restaurants around the country

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

your arguement was dead after the first 2 words
    you paid, if they didnt have prices on display you should have gone elsewhere, or asked for a propr menu

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BOND747

your arguement was dead after the first 2 words
    you paid, if they didnt have prices on display you should have gone elsewhere, or asked for a propr menu
    It wasn't an argument, i was just wondering did people think €14 was expensive for two teas and apple tart. i had just came off the motor way and didn't have the time to look around for something else, needless to say i wont be stopping at that coffee shop again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Miami Snow

Yeah 14e is really expensive for what you got, although I'd guess that's the price you would pay for 2 teas and cakes anywhere in this country?

I'm probably just scabby :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

your in the right thread alright

rip off ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

i'd be interested to know what people would think would be a suitable price?

I would have thought that considering the costs of doing any sort of business in ireland these days that two quid for a coffee / tea is about right while depending on the quality of the apple tart a fiver is probably on the high side ...

but considering, staff costs, heat, light, cleaning, rent, rates .... etc etc ... it will be the customer who will pay more to cover these extortionate overheads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

whippet wrote: »

I would have thought that considering the costs of doing any sort of business in ireland these days that two quid for a coffee / tea is about right while depending on the quality of the apple tart a fiver is probably on the high side ...

but considering, staff costs, heat, light, cleaning, rent, rates .... etc etc ... it will be the customer who will pay more to cover these extortionate overheads
    i know staff costs and overheads would be high
    i can get a large latte and a muffin/scone locally for 3.50(sit in coffee shop)which i consider reasonable
    i think maximum for 2 teas and 2 tarts should be 10euro.

I was thinking €11 would have been enough to pay, alot of places do coffee and muffin for €5 so i thought it would be something similar. im no expert on baking but if they got six servings out of an apple tart it would be a tidy enough profit on it

BOND747 wrote: »
    I was thinking €11 would have been enough to pay, alot of places do coffee and muffin for €5 so i thought it would be something similar. im no expert on baking but if they got six servings out of an apple tart it would be a tidy enough profit on it

A tidy enough profit before you take out all the overheads ... Business is expensive in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

As there was no price list on display with the price, Im presuming tea was €2 and tart was €5.
    :confused: Are you serious? Is there some unofficial national price tariff fixing for tea and tart I'm not aware of?

A tidy enough profit before you take out all the overheads ... Business is expensive in Ireland
    Its very true that Ireland is a very expensive place to do business but some places seem to want to charge as much as they can get away with as opposed to value for money with more bums on seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭annieire

You could have bought a whole apple tart for €5 in a supermarket or bakery!

annieire wrote: »
    You could have bought a whole apple tart for €5 in a supermarket or bakery!

and after paying your fiver you can sit on the cold curb outside and eat the whole thing while looking in the window of the cafe next door with it's bright lights, heat, comfy chairs and hot tea in real mugs ..... but of course why would you want to compare like with like when you can bring up a totally irrelevant fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

i was just wondering did people think €14 was expensive for two teas and apple tart.
    I think you got off lightly, a shop which actively hides its prices is usually going to be very expensive, otherwise they would be openly advertising their cheap prices. Also AFAIK it is illegal not to have a menu so you could report them to somebody.
    meercat wrote: »
    i know staff costs and overheads would be high
    i can get a large latte and a muffin/scone locally for 3.50(sit in coffee shop)which i consider reasonable
    This sounds like a "meal deal" type of thing. For all we know this cafe had an even better deal but the OP never even looked for a menu. I have often gone into chippers or other takeaways and just asked "are there any deals on" and walked out if told no and they were otherwise too expensive. Some places I go to have unadvertised deals that are still available to regulars, or people with the balls/sense to ask for them.

I am still amazed to see teenagers not buying off the eurosaver menu in mcdonalds, or people not using vouchers in pizza places.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭annieire

and after paying your fiver you can sit on the cold curb outside and eat the whole thing while looking in the window of the cafe next door with it's bright lights, heat, comfy chairs and hot tea in real mugs ..... but of course why would you want to compare like with like when you can bring up a totally irrelevant fact.

The OP was making a comment about the price and i was merley showing how expensive the piece of tart was.

I wouldn't pay more than €3.50-€4max for a slice of tart. If i was somewhere more exclusive i might be tempted to pay higher.

Advertisement