Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Triton T90si woes

Options
  • 30-12-2010 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

Hi all, new to boards and apologies for bringing up the T90si again but I have searched the forum and nothing matches my current difficulty.

A week ago, just before we went away for Christmas hols, we noticed a burning smell in our bathroom a couple of times which transpired to be our T90si. We realised it was the T90si when I put my hand on the top of the casing while in the shower and noticed an area of melted and hot plastic:eek: Obviously we haven't used the shower since but when the casing was removed a number of the wires were obviously badly damaged as per attached photos. I have contacted the Triton place in Maynooth by email and hope they will be able to sort me out BUT I feel that this should not happen as "normal" wear and tear and may have been quite dangerous to use for some time?

Anyhow I have a couple of questions for those of you better informed:
    1. Has anyone else experienced this with the T90si and have any info on why it may have happened?
    2. Am I incorrect in assuming it is dangerous and not a normal part of wear and tear during the lifetime of the shower?
    3. Any advice on how to proceed?
    Thanks in advance for your patience.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

looking at them photos it looks like a bad connection at the element or in the controls to the element was not good and it severely overheated the connection and melted the insulation. The solenoid down the bottom and some other areas look black but this was probably the water pump circulating air around inside the housing.

Most of the connections inside them showers are push on spade connections, and if any are in any way not tight on their connecting tabs then this can be the result. I have not seen it happen in the housing of a t90 myself i dont think though.

When you ask was it safe, its hard to turn and say that situation was perfectly safe anyway. It would eventually of tripped out the RCD/rcbo/mcb but it could of taken another while.

How old is the shower?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭joela

Thanks for the reply, the shower is 6 years old so I know it is getting on in years but I am a little freaked out by the melted casing and burnt wires. We have a switch to turn on the shower instead of a cord and that has been functioning normally and hasn't blown or anything? So something like this isn't an abnormal occurrence?

I'm obviously looking at significant outlay to get a new shower then, great beginning to 2011!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yes it would not be unusual to see burnt connections, but we seem to see them more often on the main switch`s like the pull chord ones, usually because the connections were not tightened properly. Im surprised we dont seem to see more of them on the connections inside the showers with them being push on connections on a lot of them. It does seem to be rare for connection problems inside the shower units themselves luckily enough.

The switch type you have is better than the pull chord type i believe. I prefer them anyway.

Someone else in the forum was looking for a spare part or 2 off a t90si, maybe you could help them out if you do get a new one.

Looks like a new one is the best approach anyway in your case.

Advertisement