Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords Library

Options
  • 30-12-2010 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭

Will the library be open tomorrow? I can't find Christmas/New Year opening times anywhere.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The library twitter suggests Blanch won't open again until early Jan, though it's not been updated since Dec 22nd. Perhaps the same applies to Swords.

http://twitter.com/fingallibraries

Edit, this is from their facebook.
    Fingal Libraries
    Christmas closing
    Our branches will be closed from December 24th to January 3rd inclusive. Re-opening normal hours (hopefully) on Tuesday, January 4th. Best wishes of the season from everyone in Fingal Libraries.
    http://www.facebook.com/FingalLibraries?v=wall

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Thanks for that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Out of interest, how is it these days? Would it do as a study space?

Out of interest, how is it these days? Would it do as a study space?

I dunno. That's why I was going there!! Let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

It'll be back open on Tuesday the 4th of January at 10am until 8:30pm (closing for lunch from 1-2pm).

Study space can be a bit limited as its not a massive library but its quiet :)

• Advertisement

I was waiting for you to reply. :)

Thanks!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It's got about 4-5 study spaces beside the area where they have another 4-5 computers for internet browsing, close to the information desk, but with large signs telling everyone to be quiet.

I've been in there when all of the spaces have been taken up, and it's dead dead quiet, people seem to respect the rules, I know when I am there and just looking for books I'm quiet so as not to disturb those studying.

The staff imo are also very quick at dealing with any queries, so that helps with the quiet, and they've the children's section the other side of the desk to keep down the noise.

Coming from bogland where you'd to pay to use the local county library I think it's a fantastic service.

Stheno wrote: »
    Coming from bogland where you'd to pay to use the local county library I think it's a fantastic service.

You have to pay??!? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

There's also a table that can seat about 4-5 people just inside the door that can be used for study. It sometimes gets used for displays or for free Book-crossing books, but its usually free.

Most non-Dublin library services require a membership fee AFAIK. Their book-funds are often tiny as well.

TCD graduate access is free, but I can't take anything out. My other college library is 20 euro (per term, IIRC), but I can take out 8 books. Presumably, Fingal Co Co libraries won't have much academic stock, but I don't mind that once there's space. Pearse St library is similar, I think. Too many library cards in the wallet at this stage, unless that's blasphemy. :) I remember taking out audiobooks on cassette tape from Swords.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Larianne wrote: »
    You have to pay??!? :eek:

Yeah, it was €10 a year and the selection of books was utter rubbish, couldn't believe it when I joined Swords library (I'd just lost my job) and I could take out 10 decent books at a time, order any book from any other library in Fingal, and there were dvd's and all other sorts. I know €10 a year doesn't sound much, but it put plenty of people I know off from joining.

I've about *cough* 300 novels in my personal book collection looking for a home so I asked if they might be interested in some (is this a cue to a book swap club on here?) and they were! My old library looked at me like I was a lunatic asking if they would take in some of my books.
    Chinafoot wrote: »
    There's also a table that can seat about 4-5 people just inside the door that can be used for study. It sometimes gets used for displays or for free Book-crossing books, but its usually free.

Most non-Dublin library services require a membership fee AFAIK. Their book-funds are often tiny as well.

The book fund thing really gets on my nerve, I'd hundreds of books at the time (more than now) that were all within three years old, and they refused to take any of them.

Think that table inside the door is being used for some special display at the minute.

Anyway I think it is an utterly superb service compared to bogland.

Advertisement