Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog baskets for bikes?

• 30-12-2010 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi :),
    I have a 9/10kg, 4 year old (It's his birthday today!:D) Cavalier King Charles spaniel. Our family will be going on cycles and we are wondering if we can bring him with us in a basket on the bike designed for dogs.
    He has a very calm temperament so he wouldn't try to jump out of the basket or anything like that (we probably would get a basket with a cover anyway:))

First of all, is it safe? Apparently the bike leans to the side the basket is on which can be dangerous. Also do you have full control of the bike (well, like you have normally)?

Does anybody use them/would they recommend them? Have they any tips/advice about them?

Which are better : baskets that go on the handlebar side of the bike or the ones that go on the luggage rack?

Can anybody recommend any particular baskets/any good places to get them? I know Zooplus have a some and am interested in this one -
    Pet Bicycle Basket XXL with Protective Wire
    - 70 cm x 50 cm x 42 cm (LxWxH)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Anyone?? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

The last person i saw that used a dog basket was The Wicked Witch of the West and i think we all know how that one turned out

Im just updating this as I would love some advice/opinions :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hi OP,

http://www.zooplus.ie/ask?query=bike&num=20

Any of these what you're looking for?

Whispered wrote: »
    Hi OP,

http://www.zooplus.ie/ask?query=bike&num=20

Any of these what you're looking for?

Hi whispered,
    I have been through all of these and I am thinking about getting this one. Hes not a very small dog so the xxl sounds good (even though in the picture it shows a little chihuahua:rolleyes:)

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/biking_accessories/bike_baskets/152934

I am just worried about the bike going top heavy etc. I will be cycling down small hills etc. so it must be very safe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 ali-popps

Hi,

Just wondering if you got a basket and how it worked out for you? I'm looking to get one for my Japanese Spitz. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've seen several people cycling around with their dogs in shopping baskets on the front of the bike. Personally I'd prefer a front mounted or carrier mounted one rather than a side mounted one, just because of weight distribution. You can get trailers that you can attach to your back axle and tow along too.

I'd love to do it myself, but two dogs makes it a bit tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ali-popps

Ya I'm kinda in the same boat myself, except I've a big and a small, so the plan is to have the two of them run next to me and then give smallie a break in the basket when he gets tired. Big guy's just gonna have to stick it out! I'll buil it up slowly so their little paws have a chance to toughen up. A friend of my dad's daughter took their retriever out once when the dog wasn't used to running on concrete and her paws ended up a bloody mess. Poor doggy.:(

Nope, sorry I didn't get one. I'm worried about the bike becoming top-heavy ect or the bike being hard to ride. So, its still walks for me and Charlie :D

Advertisement