Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trying to setup wireless network

Options
  • 30-12-2010 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

hi there, want to setup a home network.

below is the setup I have

1. windows 7 laptop with 02 dongle for broadband.
    2. windows xp
    3. netbook running windows 7.
    and have a linksys broadband router

we had eircom for broadband and used the linksys to route through around wirelessly. however change to o2 broadband dongle.

what I want to do is setup a network between the 3 laptops and share the broadband between them ? also use it for file sharing also.

would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

I got laptop 1 and 2 sharing, however when I try and use the net also, it will only let the network or the broadband work at once ??

I have reset the router and redone each of the connections wirelessly, but no good ? and ideas.?

thanks in advance and happy christmas!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What linksys router do you have? Unless it is a dedicated 3g wireless router it will not work for you.

You need one of the "hotspots" which the mobile providers are now sellling or a dedicated 3g wireless router.

Be warned mobile bb products are not geared for filesharing and if you download any significant no of large files you are going to find ourself in trouble with the cap on these products.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭irelandhouse

dub45 wrote: »
    What linksys router do you have? Unless it is a dedicated 3g wireless router it will not work for you.

You need one of the "hotspots" which the mobile providers are now sellling or a dedicated 3g wireless router.

Be warned mobile bb products are not geared for filesharing and if you download any significant no of large files you are going to find ourself in trouble with the cap on these products.

hi
    its a linksys wtrg54 v2

what i wanted to do was route the connection through one of the laptops for the moment until we get wimax in (then can route it through the router itself entirely.)

its only for basic net access. at the minute we have 1 laptop and the netbook that would want to use it at the same time, email f/book etc.

Advertisement