Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop broken after 4 days of use

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

axer wrote: »
    A judge cannot make a judgement with no proof the laptop is faulty.

He can accept the sworn testimony of the claimant, what are the store going to say, they can't swear it didn't happen.
    Aside from the fact that I don't believe overheating is the problem, surely if this was even a possibility the people in the shop would've suggested this or the person I spoke to in Sony in the shop would've suggested this.

Don't presume either sony or the retailer are goin to be straight up with you, they will fob you off and frustrate you untill you go away if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

You've some serious bee in your bonnet axer.

Slick50 wrote: »
    He can accept the sworn testimony of the claimant, what are the store going to say, they can't swear it didn't happen.

Don't presume either sony or the retailer are goin to be straight up with you, they will fob you off and frustrate you untill you go away if possible.

That's the impression i get slick.

All I want is a laptop that works, it's that simple. I'm not trying to pull a fast one on anybody, all I want is a working laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

This does not prove there is a fault with the laptop? The OP is not an expert. The shop is bring completely reasonable to investigate the issue using sony experts. The OP has not been able to demonstrate the issue to the shop even though he/she claims it happens 25 mins after turning on max. If sony does not find anything wrong with the laptop I dont know how the OP is going to prove anything that could not have already been shown to the shop.

You've some serious bee in your bonnet axer.
    No bee in my bonnet. There are no need for personal attacks. This is the fourth time in this thread so far.

Can you explain how you could not demonstrate the issue to the sony shop if it happens at maximum 25 mins after turning on the laptop?

• Advertisement

Axer, can I just ask what you seem to think is going on here?

My boyfriend bought me a laptop to use on my commute to work, it has proved faulty within the first 4 days of use, the fault cannot be recreated in the shop and has now been sent to Sony for testing, what do you think i'm "up to"? Because the impression I get from your posts is that you think there's something shady going on here? What have i got to gain from getting a replacement? What have I got to gain from going back and forth to the shop? What have I got to gain from being without the laptop for an undetermined period of time while it is with Sony?

No bee in my bonnet. There are no need for personal attacks. This is the fourth time in this thread so far.

Can you explain how you could not demonstrate the issue to the sony shop if it happens at maximum 25 mins after turning on the laptop?

Because I don't know what caused it in the first place? How hard is that for you to understand? The laptop powered off and we brought it to the shop, they powered it on and there was no problem eventhough they ran a few different programs on it, yet when I did the same thing at home it malfunctions. How many times do I have to explain this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Ive been on both sides i used to sell electronics and i have had return faulty products with intermittent faults. Fro what you are sying if i was the shop assistant returning to sony for repair is exactly what i would offer. you need to prove there is a problem and you have been unable to do so, so i believe they are being reasonable given the circumstances.

Now i was in the same position with a Samsung TV i had, it had an intermittent 1 inch blue line down the screen, when i brought it back i could not replicate it, so i videoed the screen when i came home and brought this with me, my screen was repaired and a courtesy screen provided while it was gone.

You need to see it from their point of view also, when the laptop is brought into them it preforms perfect with no issues what do you expect them to do??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

All posters - take a deep breath and stop being contentious.

dudara

projectgtr wrote: »
    Ive been on both sides i used to sell electronics and i have had return faulty products with intermittent faults. Fro what you are sying if i was the shop assistant returning to sony for repair is exactly what i would offer. you need to prove there is a problem and you have been unable to do so, so i believe they are being reasonable given the circumstances.

Now i was in the same position with a Samsung TV i had, it had an intermittent 1 inch blue line down the screen, when i brought it back i could not replicate it, so i videoed the screen when i came home and brought this with me, my screen was repaired and a courtesy screen provided while it was gone.

You need to see it from their point of view also, when the laptop is brought into them it preforms perfect with no issues what do you expect them to do??

What am I expected to do? Just keep a laptop that won't work for longer than 10-25 minutes and will possibly develop other problems later on?

• Advertisement

This does not prove there is a fault with the laptop? The OP is not an expert. The shop is bring completely reasonable to investigate the issue using sony experts. The OP has not been able to demonstrate the issue to the shop even though he/she claims it happens 25 mins after turning on max. If sony does not find anything wrong with the laptop I dont know how the OP is going to prove anything that could not have already been shown to the shop.

You don't have to be an expert to testify what you have witnessed. The judge can accept her evidence, or like you he can presume she is lying. But why? Most judges apply a bit of logic in their decissions. I thought you said you understood that intermittent problems are harder to demonstrate.

Either way pixie, intermittent problems have a habit of becoming more regular and easier to demonstrate. While this is very frustrating, it will probably reveal itself in the not too distant, and will have to be resolved then. Keep a record of what has been happening, and how this has been dealt with, and you would have a very good reason for not accepting a repair or replacement in the future.

What am I expected to do? Just keep a laptop that won't work for longer than 10-25 minutes and will possibly develop other problems later on?

nope, but if you take a deep breath and relax for a second and re-read what i said, no point in going in all guns blazing, the fact is your laptop has a fault and at the very least it should be repaired, though in my opinion if its true should be replaced. Now all im saying to you is you need to see it from their point of view, you need to work with these guys, you want it replaced? then prove its broken simples, like i said video the fault, even video it a few times if possible, its either that or sit in there all day till it happens. you need to do these things to help your case, as right now you dont have one

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Either way pixie, intermittent problems have a habit of becoming more regular and easier to demonstrate. While this is very frustrating, it will probably reveal itself in the not too distant, and will have to be resolved then. Keep a record of what has been happening, and how this has been dealt with, and you would have a very good reason for not accepting a repair or replacement in the future.

^This

You don't have to be an expert to testify what you have witnessed. The judge can accept her evidence, or like you he can presume she is lying. But why? Most judges apply a bit of logic in their decissions. I thought you said you understood that intermittent problems are harder to demonstrate.

That was my intention anyway. Thanks slick

why would you even be thinking about the court route at this stage :rolleyes: this should be sorted easily with the right info being provided

Project - the court route was raised by someone else, I was merely responding to what they said. I am not "thinking" about the court route, I am thinking it'll be great to have a laptop that works as anyone would expect it to.

projectgtr wrote: »
    why would you even be thinking about the court route at this stage :rolleyes: this should be sorted easily with the right info being provided

I introduced the possibility of using the small claims court, in response to the OP's question of what her rights are in this situation. I did so because I have had first hand experience of being stone walled by both sony and the retailer, and being told I had no rights and that I would have to pay for a repair or replacement. So I took a case to the small claims court and won my case.

This could all turn out to be redundant anyway, as the shop/sony still has the laptop under analysis. She could be told in the morning that she was right, and handed a replacement.

But if not, let us know pixie, it will interesting to see how this pans out. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Could easily be something like a hairline crack in a circuit board which is being flexed when the unit is moved. Or only when used on someone lap and not when on a table. Might be the way the user is resting their hands on the laptop and the IT repair guy isn't holding it the same way. Often IT problems need someone to think outside the box and not just simply re-install the OS and then give up. The IT person is meant to be the expert not the customer.

If you think about it logically. The customer gains nothing by making up a fault that doesn't exist. So logically there is one.

That said the more information the customer give the repair guy the odds of the repair guy finding the fault are vastly improved. A video for example would show how long it takes, and what is going on when it happens.

Often a repair shop will be lazy and spend little time on it, and throw the problem back to the customer way too fast. Taking it to the small court, often gets the retailer to get the finger out.

I introduced the possibility of using the small claims court, in response to the OP's question of what her rights are in this situation. I did so because I have had first hand experience of being stone walled by both sony and the retailer, and being told I had no rights and that I would have to pay for a repair or replacement. So I took a case to the small claims court and won my case.

This could all turn out to be redundant anyway, as the shop/sony still has the laptop under analysis. She could be told in the morning that she was right, and handed a replacement.

But if not, let us know pixie, it will interesting to see how this pans out. Good luck.

Thanks slick, fingers crossed it will all be resolved as soon as possible.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    Could easily be something like a hairline crack in a circuit board which is being flexed when the unit is moved. Or only when used on someone lap and not when on a table. Might be the way the user is resting their hands on the laptop and the IT repair guy isn't holding it the same way. Often IT problems need someone to think outside the box and not just simply re-install the OS and then give up. The IT person is meant to be the expert not the customer.

If you think about it logically. The customer gains nothing by making up a fault that doesn't exist. So logically there is one.

That said the more information the customer give the repair guy the odds of the repair guy finding the fault are vastly improved. A video for example would show how long it takes, and what is going on when it happens.

Laptop has only been placed on a table in the same way the person in the sony centre has used it and that's the honest truth.

I am gaining nothing from this situation whether people choose to believe that or not. I just want what was paid for.

As the laptop is currently with the sony centre to be sent to sony taking a video of the fault is not possible but should the repaired laptop be forced back upon me I will video it when using it.

I've sent video's with laptops in the past. Saves endless emails and being bounced from billy to jack.

BostonB wrote: »
    I've sent video's with laptops in the past. Saves endless emails and being bounced from billy to jack.

I'm sure a video would work but considering when this problem arose I didn't think it would be this long drawn out saga I didn't video the problem. Should the laptop be forced back upon me I will do this.

I'm sure a video would work but considering when this problem arose I didn't think it would be this long drawn out saga I didn't video the problem. Should the laptop be forced back upon me I will do this.

hopefully the fault is seen in the time they have it, if not id be expecting it back, in that case video is the next step, that way there is no denying the fault, ive dealt with the lads in the sony center, good bunch, specially compared to your average High street store

Axer, can I just ask what you seem to think is going on here?
    I don't know - thats why I was asking questions. Me asking questions does not justify hitting me with personal abuse such as calling me an a$$hole, suggesting I am unable to read, calling me a muppet and saying I have a bee in my bonnet - not sure how one gets away with such abuse tbh since I did not get anyways personal with you at any time.
    My boyfriend bought me a laptop to use on my commute to work, it has proved faulty within the first 4 days of use, the fault cannot be recreated in the shop and has now been sent to Sony for testing, what do you think i'm "up to"? Because the impression I get from your posts is that you think there's something shady going on here? What have i got to gain from getting a replacement? What have I got to gain from going back and forth to the shop? What have I got to gain from being without the laptop for an undetermined period of time while it is with Sony?
    I never suggested you were up to anything - i'm just curious as to how it is so easy for the issue to appear when you are at home but cannot replicate the issue in the shop. If you could show the issue in the shop then i'm sure they would have either replaced it there and then or sent it to sony to see if it is a hardware or software problem before continuing. It would have made this a simple issue to resolve without making the shop out to be bad guys when it seems they were 100% reasonable in their actions.
    Because I don't know what caused it in the first place? How hard is that for you to understand? The laptop powered off and we brought it to the shop, they powered it on and there was no problem eventhough they ran a few different programs on it, yet when I did the same thing at home it malfunctions. How many times do I have to explain this?
    Exactly, logically that does not add up. You seem, according to your posts, to be able to replicate the problem quite often at home but cannot do so in the shop. A variable is missing that is possibly causing the issue - this external variable could be the cause of the issue, not saying it is but saying it could possibly be.
    The judge can accept the evidence that the OP saw what he/she saw but it doesnt prove the laptop is faulty it just is evidence that the OP saw what he/she saw - simple as. That is the point I am making. A video or a replication of the issue would prove there is a fault or clearly show something is amiss. If sony cannot replicate the issue then what are they supposed to do? Maybe they will be able to replicate the issue so everything might be fine. Maybe the issue is related to use - which is always possible, not saying it is definitely the case here but it does happen.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

OP, is there any history of dodgy power in you home? It can be a common reason for PC problems, but less so with laptops as they have external power supplies (PSU) but its not to say it can't happen. I presume as well that while in the shop, they used your PSU and not there own one.

.... i'm just curious as to how it is so easy for the issue to appear when you are at home but cannot replicate the issue in the shop. If you could show the issue in the shop then i'm sure they would have either replaced it there and then or sent it to sony to see if it is a hardware or software problem before continuing. ....

Well isn't that what we've been talking about all along????

IT problems are not always obvious or logical.

delly wrote: »
    OP, is there any history of dodgy power in you home? It can be a common reason for PC problems, but less so with laptops as they have external power supplies (PSU) but its not to say it can't happen. I presume as well that while in the shop, they used your PSU and not there own one.

True. Sometimes theres power interference from something else. One office I was in had constant problems because of a beauty Parlor on the same block. Every time they turned on their Sun beds its caused flickering on all the CRT monitors in the offices nearby. Only some people noticed it though and got headaches because of it. Others had returned monitors as faulty. I only noticed as the monitor was fine first thing, and only started to flicker at the same time everyday.

Nope, no problems.

And yes, they used my PSU.

They did nothing (while we were in the shop anyway) different to the way I was using the laptop. One of the guys ran a vid on windows, some stuff on youtube, just a general mess around on the internet and no problems, he also opened some documents in microsoft and a few other programmes and no problems. Exactly what I had been doing at home but obviously (as you can see from the thread) without the problems I had.

Also, we're a house in the middle of nowhere so I find it hard to believe neighbour's usage or such thing would have an effect in the same way as you describe Boston.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

maybe Axer is linked to sony...I would refuse to leave the shop without a replacement or a refund

Advertisement