Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop broken after 4 days of use

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Wow i think everyone in this thread needs to stop and take a deep breath.

You cannot take a persons word unfortunately for faulty/ intermediate problems, they need to be tested. In some cases the problem cannot be recreated in the shop, if thats the case they'll send it for repair, i have had it before were the person as a fault but i cannot recreate it so i have to send it off.

Try and see it from the retailers eyes, yes you have a faulty product but if they cant see the fault they have to send if off for repair because if they give out a new one to you , they will then try and send back the old laptop for credit for a faulty machine, Sony will test the machine if they cannot recreate the problem the retailer loses out.

If its in the repair center it will go through tests not just for your described fault but a full repair. If and when they find your fault it will be sent back to the shop with a full repair report. Ask to see it.

When they try and hand you back the repaired one refuse it, ask for either a brand new one , the Dead on arrival (DOA) period for Vaio's is 14 days.

Realistically your entitled to a full refund and most shops will give it with such a short period of time from buying the laptop and the fault presenting.

On a personal note.

I would stick with Sony. The customer service of the manufacturer alone makes them a much better laptop company than most, plus Vaio's just seem to be more reliable . Do not let the contact with the retailer put you off the manufacturer. In the future you dont have to deal with the retailer at all you can deal with the manufacturer directly.

Goodluck and Im sure in the within the next 10 days everything will be resolved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Thats why you video it, if you can't replicate it on site. Thats pretty common.

Someone had me look at their gmail as they reckon it kept logging them out. I had no problems using their account. But when I watched them doing it realised they were signing out instead of just closing the window, as its in the same corner.

I get this all day long. People assume its one thing when often it something completely unexpected. Software bugs are often like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

You cannot take a persons word unfortunately for faulty/ intermediate problems, they need to be tested. In some cases the problem cannot be recreated in the shop, if thats the case they'll send it for repair, i have had it before were the person as a fault but i cannot recreate it so i have to send it off.

Try and see it from the retailers eyes, yes you have a faulty product but if they cant see the fault they have to send if off for repair because if they give out a new one to you , they will then try and send back the old laptop for credit for a faulty machine, Sony will test the machine if they cannot recreate the problem the retailer loses out.

If its in the repair center it will go through tests not just for your described fault but a full repair. If and when they find your fault it will be sent back to the shop with a full repair report. Ask to see it.

When they try and hand you back the repaired one refuse it, ask for either a brand new one , the Dead on arrival (DOA) period for Vaio's is 14 days.

Realistically your entitled to a full refund and most shops will give it with such a short period of time from buying the laptop and the fault presenting.

On a personal note.

I would stick with Sony. The customer service of the manufacturer alone makes them a much better laptop company than most, plus Vaio's just seem to be more reliable . Do not let the contact with the retailer put you off the manufacturer. In the future you dont have to deal with the retailer at all you can deal with the manufacturer directly.

What is this dead on arrival period you refer to? And what period of time will be taken into account in relation to this? From the 17th (date of purchase) until it comes back from repair or the date I handed it over to the sony centre (yesterday)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_on_arrival
    Colloquially, anything which is received in a non-operational (broken) state can be called DOA or dead on arrival (or, alternatively, defective on arrival). If a new product, such as a computer, arrives "DOA" then it is likely that the recipient will call the supplier to get a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA), a transaction that acknowledges that (apparently defective) goods will be returned to the supplier for refund, replacement or credit. Sometimes it is difficult to actually detect a defective or DOA product. With computers, for instance, it might require a boot image to be installed and run through a test suite to detect any failed parts.

When, as with computers, product complexity is high and diagnostics are involved, the medical metaphor is perhaps appropriate, as complex diagnostics might be required to determine if the product "is really dead".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

What is this dead on arrival period you refer to? And what period of time will be taken into account in relation to this? From the 17th (date of purchase) until it comes back from repair or the date I handed it over to the sony centre (yesterday)?

When and item breaks down with a period of time 14 days and the customer coming back to store within the 14 days, if a fault can be found the customer is entitled to a brand new product . Your problem was discovered after 4 days, and you brought it back to the shop i presume at 4 days ? so your well within the DOA period.

• Advertisement

When and item breaks down with a period of time 14 days and the customer coming back to store within the 14 days, if a fault can be found the customer is entitled to a brand new product . Your problem was discovered after 4 days, and you brought it back to the shop i presume at 4 days ? so your well within the DOA period.

That's good to know, thanks. We brought it back in on the 30th. The problem was actually discovered the first time I powered up the laptop but we were unable to get to the shop until the 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

bmarley wrote: »
    maybe Axer is linked to sony...
    yes, maybe I am Mr. Sony.

BostonB wrote: »
    Well isn't that what we've been talking about all along????
    Nope, because if the laptop works in the shop without issue then it could mean that there is nothing wrong with it - it could be some external factor that is not being thought of. Some of the stories posted here of external factors causing issues highlight my point as to why a judge would be a fool to just accept somebody's statement that the laptop is behaving faulty as being equal to the laptop being actually faulty. (not saying that it is not actually faulty in this case).
    IT problems are not always obvious or logical.
    They may not be always obvious but they are always logical.

axer wrote: »
    Nope, because if the laptop works in the shop without issue then it could mean that there is nothing wrong with it - it could be some external factor that is not being thought of. Some of the stories posted here of external factors causing issues highlight my point as to why a judge would be a fool to just accept somebody's statement that the laptop is behaving faulty as being equal to the laptop being actually faulty. (not saying that it is not actually faulty in this case).

Well obviously. That is what we've been talking about all along. We just didn't need to go into such a long winded saga about it. A judge might decide that its not up to the customer to find a technical issue and decide in their favor anyway. But thats not the issue yet anyway. We're still dealing with the retailer at this point.
    They may not be always obvious but they are always logical.

Only in hindsight. Your suggestion was that it has present as a logical problem. It doesn't.

but yet this could not be demonstrated to staff in the shop? Something is not quite right with this story.

Whats not logical is seeing this as not unusual. As if theres something "not right" as if it suspicious. Thats absurd. If you work in IT, not being able to replicate an error is a a common occurrence. I'm sure in other fields too. Its doesn't mean theres isn't an error. Or something is not right with the story. Every problem does not need miss marple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Well funnily enough we went to collect the laptop this morning and were told no fault blah blah blah. Brought the laptop home and had it running for 25 minutes when the screen went blank and then flickered back on and everything on the screen was jumbled up, then it went blank again. Straight back into the shop, thought surely now we'll get our refund because at this stage another sony product is not coming into my house.

Went back into the shop and they did exactly the same thing they did yesterday, cant find a fault etc etc, they offered to send the laptop to vaio which we have agreed to because that is the only thing they would offer us.

HOW IS THAT FAIR? We spent money in good faith and have nothing to show for it.

To the various posters who suggest that because the laptop works fine in the shop then nothing can be done, what do suggest I do, go into the sony centre to power up any time I want to use my laptop. It's an absolute disgraceful way to treat customers.

The staff in the shop stood there and called us liars because they couldn't find the fault. Do they honestly think we had nothing better to do than traipse in and out to their shop two days running?

They tried calling Sony in the shop themselves but couldn't get through

Try recording it being used on a camcorder maybe. And just record as you work away on it.

Well obviously. That is what we've been talking about all along. We just didn't need to go into such a long winded saga about it. A judge might decide that its not up to the customer to find a technical issue and decide in their favor anyway. But thats not the issue yet anyway. We're still dealing with the retailer at this point.
    not if the issue cannot be shown to exist but I'm not gonna waste my time discussing with you what a judge might or might not do.

Only in hindsight. Your suggestion was that it has present as a logical problem. It doesn't.
    what would be the logical thing to do is reduce the number of variables to determine which one is most likely to be causing the issue but the customer is not expected to do this they are just expected to show that their is a problem.

Whats not logical is seeing this as not unusual. As if theres something "not right" as if it suspicious. Thats absurd. If you work in IT, not being able to replicate an error is a a common occurrence. I'm sure in other fields too. Its doesn't mean theres isn't an error. Or something is not right with the story. Every problem does not need miss marple.
    it is unusual that the op has no problem replicating the issue at home regularly according to the ops posts but is unable to replicate the issue in the shop. There looks to be an external factor that the op either hasnt noticed or doesn't think is important. As Dr. House says "Everybody lies" (don't take that the wrong way - look it up for its meaning)

not if the issue cannot be shown to exist but I'm not gonna waste my time discussing with you what a judge might or might not do.

Well, discussing it further, as you've already been discussing it. But thats why I just said in the previous post, that its its premature, its still with the retailer.
    what would be the logical thing to do is reduce the number of variables to determine which one is most likely to be causing the issue but the customer is not expected to do this they are just expected to show that their is a problem.

No offense, and maybe your just trying to be helpful and perhaps its just me, but I'm baffled why you keep stating the obvious, and repeating whats been said before? It adds nothing.
    it is unusual that the op has no problem replicating the issue at home regularly according to the ops posts but is unable to replicate the issue in the shop. There looks to be an external factor that the op either hasnt noticed or doesn't think is important. As Dr. House says "Everybody lies" (don't take that the wrong way - look it up for its meaning)

Again that point has been made previously, repeatedly. Its simply common sense once you've any experience. Anyone that has some interaction with customers, or users will see this on the regular basis. I must hear it about a 10 times a week, and I'm mainly a developer not a support guy. This is so common, which is partly why remote access software like remote desktop/team viewer are so useful. Video end users in testing is another approach to this.

I realise you are trying to be helpful. Perhaps you could change your approach. Just a suggestion. House is great. Gets a bit samey though.

Yes you will see problems such as the op`s that show up once every few hours or days or more, and to stand in a shop and not see the problem show up within a few minutes is very likely.

Just because it works for a few hours and the shop finds nothing, that does not mean there is nothing wrong. And as you say, its the same in other fields too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

i dont think it applies to you as your problem can not be shown to staff as of yet. video is your only option, but hey how many times has that been said to you?

On a personal note.

carefull there dave people with that opinion are believed to be in cahoots with Sony themselves :D

i agree, with the right info given this should be sorted out in a matter of days, ive 2 VAIOs in the house and i find sony center/peats customer service A1

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Yes you will see problems such as the op`s that show up once every few hours or days or more, and to stand in a shop and not see the problem show up within a few minutes is very likely.

Just because it works for a few hours and the shop finds nothing, that does not mean there is nothing wrong. And as you say, its the same in other fields too.
    Except the OP doesnt seem to have any problem replicating the issue at home at a max of 25 mins as per the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I was sorry to hear about the problems you were having OP, but the way you've responded to people in this thread changed that fairly quickly. I work in electronics retail and I'm glad I'm not the one dealing with you.

It's completely fair that the Sony store don't believe there's a serious underlying issue because you don't seem to understand that most of these issues are caused by user error. You describe the problem as you doing normal laptop things... you should be handing them a video of the laptop being used, clearly plugged in and running normally when the error occurs. If this is happening you every 20 mins it should have been easy to document.

Also, if it's really that big of an issue in your home but won't happen in the sony center, isn't that a pretty big indicator that there's another factor at play? Never know, it could be a fault with the laptops wireless card that's being triggered by your network and not theirs, but the more detail you give (what apps you were running, were you connected to the net etc) the more likely it is that you'll be taken seriously.

As far as demanding the replacement goes, most places will try and repair the product before offering you a direct replacement, but a replacement isn't unheard of. It's fair enough that they want to send it off to Sony for testing since as far as they can tell from their experiences with it there isn't actually anything wrong. Since they have to take your work for it that it's faulty, sending it to Sony for proper diagnostics is the obvious thing to do.

No store will replace a product that isn't demonstrably faulty, and rightly so imo.

If that all sounds harsh I apologise, but I think you're being a bit unrealistic with your expectations of how the situation should be handled, you should try and look at it from their point of view. And don't respond by saying "How is wanting a working laptop being unrealistic" etc, you know what I mean. It's unfortunate that you're having the issue but that doesn't give you a carte blanche to walk into the shop and just demand the most favourable outcome for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Which Sony Centre did you purchase it from OP?

Except the OP doesnt seem to have any problem replicating the issue at home at a max of 25 mins as per the OP.

I'm not replicating the issue, it's just happening. How hard is that to understand? The way you are wording your posts (and some others are doing similar) it is as though you think I am replicating the issue at home and just not doing so in the shop, that's not the case.

Also, to everyone who has responded thanks but if you could actually read the thread, the laptop is with the sony centre (waterford) at the moment and being sent to sony at some point this week for testing. Yes, videoing the fault is a great idea in hindsight but when the fault occurred I assumed it would be a simple case of bringing it into the shop and having the problem rectified through whatever means necessary as quickly as possible, I did not think it would be dragged out in this manner.

• Advertisement

I was sorry to hear about the problems you were having OP, but the way you've responded to people in this thread changed that fairly quickly. I work in electronics retail and I'm glad I'm not the one dealing with you.

Good for you.

It's completely fair that the Sony store don't believe there's a serious underlying issue because you don't seem to understand that most of these issues are caused by user error. You describe the problem as you doing normal laptop things... you should be handing them a video of the laptop being used, clearly plugged in and running normally when the error occurs. If this is happening you every 20 mins it should have been easy to document.

It's completely fair that the Sony store don't believe me? So I've spent my Christmas holidays traipsing in and out of the store for the fun of it have I? And I've now left myself without a laptop for an undetermined period of time for what reason exactly? Yes, I understand a video is the easiest thing to demonstrate the fault but at the time the fault occurred I did not think this would be necessary - something I've said over and over again.

Also, if it's really that big of an issue in your home but won't happen in the sony center, isn't that a pretty big indicator that there's another factor at play? Never know, it could be a fault with the laptops wireless card that's being triggered by your network and not theirs, but the more detail you give (what apps you were running, were you connected to the net etc) the more likely it is that you'll be taken seriously.

I have given them all the detail I have. I have told them exactly what I was doing and exactly what programmes were running each time the fault occurred. What more detail can I give when there is no more detail to give?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Which Sony Centre did you purchase it from OP?

I don't see any benefit from naming the shop in question.

dudara

What your point? That consumer (with no technical skillset) should be able to replicate the environment of her house, in the shop?

dudara wrote: »

dudara

Dudara, apologies if it against forum rules to name the actual shop itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

It's completely fair that the Sony store don't believe me? So I've spent my Christmas holidays traipsing in and out of the store for the fun of it have I?

You told them there was an issue happening regularly but until they can actually see the thing break in front of them they're not going to just offer you a full refund. They don't care about your motivation for coming back again and again, as far as they can tell from having tested it for a reasonable period of time there isn't anything wrong with it.

I'm not saying you're wrong or doubting you, because I do honestly believe that you have a faulty laptop, you just have to understand why what you want is unreasonable. If you could bring it in and run it for 20 mins and have it fail like it usually does, they'd probably be happy to replace/refund, but without a demonstrable fault I think they're within their rights to do what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

dudara wrote: »

dudara

I did, when I work for a company that owns several Sony Centres and has an employee by the name of Paddy. I thought I might have been able to help.

O right so they made it up maybe.

Well you could PM the user, rather than being so cryptic about where you work. So its not a "boards" issue which it becomes if you mention the name of the shop.

What model no laptop is this. We could look up and see if theres anything on the web about it.

Well you could PM the user, rather than being so cryptic about where you work. So its not a "boards" issue which it becomes if you mention the name of the shop.

What model no laptop is this. We could look up and see if theres anything on the web about it.

It's one of the new little netbooks, come in 4/5 different colours. If you've been anywhere near a sony centre or pc shop over the last month or so you've probably seen them on display because Sony seemed to be promoting them big time for christmas - people in the sony centre told us this.

A previous poster posted a link to an amazon page and in the reviews two people mention a fan issue with their individual laptops but this has already been discussed in length on here. It was not mentioned by the people in the shop nor me because I fail to see how a brand new laptop could overheat due to a problem with the fan from the first time it is powered up and after 10-25 minutes of use each time.

• Advertisement

I'm not replicating the issue, it's just happening. How hard is that to understand? The way you are wording your posts (and some others are doing similar) it is as though you think I am replicating the issue at home and just not doing so in the shop, that's not the case.

Also, to everyone who has responded thanks but if you could actually read the thread, the laptop is with the sony centre (waterford) at the moment and being sent to sony at some point this week for testing. Yes, videoing the fault is a great idea in hindsight but when the fault occurred I assumed it would be a simple case of bringing it into the shop and having the problem rectified through whatever means necessary as quickly as possible, I did not think it would be dragged out in this manner.

Drive ye mad pc`s would at times. Hard to believe some posters actually seem to think you walk back into the shop and the same intermittent fault should happen in the time frame your there or else there is not a problem.

Advertisement