Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop broken after 4 days of use

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Drive ye mad pc`s would at times. Hard to believe some posters actually seem to think you walk back into the shop and the same intermittent fault should happen in the time frame your there or else there is not a problem.

I do understand obviously sony have to see a fault to prove it's faulty but I don't think leaving me with a faulty laptop is right either.

It would be great if like magic it would also happen in the shop but that's technology for you, it makes a liar of you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I'm not replicating the issue, it's just happening. How hard is that to understand? The way you are wording your posts (and some others are doing similar) it is as though you think I am replicating the issue at home and just not doing so in the shop, that's not the case.
    I think maybe this is why you felt so defensive, when I say replicate the error I do no mean you are consciously causing the error but that you are able to make it happen - that is not blaming you in any way. I manage a computer network where I look after 40 users and a load of servers, when a user reports a problem the most important thing for me its to see the problem in action (or have the error message). If I have neither I have to assume user error first until it happens again whereby the user is aware to provide the necessary info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

It's one of the new little netbooks, come in 4/5 different colours. If you've been anywhere near a sony centre or pc shop over the last month or so you've probably seen them on display because Sony seemed to be promoting them big time for christmas - people in the sony centre told us this.

A previous poster posted a link to an amazon page and in the reviews two people mention a fan issue with their individual laptops but this has already been discussed in length on here. It was not mentioned by the people in the shop nor me because I fail to see how a brand new laptop could overheat due to a problem with the fan from the first time it is powered up and after 10-25 minutes of use each time.

Computers are complicated. Quite often they are released with a problem. Which is why many places won't buy new models, only those that have been on sale for a while. To make sure all the bugs have been fixed.

Theres a zillion netbooks, from sony all different colours. You'd need to be specific if you want help.

BostonB wrote: »
    What your point? That consumer (with no technical skillset) should be able to replicate the environment of her house, in the shop?
    It would be a help. The op does not need technical skills to replicate the issues in his/her house so why would he/she need them in the shop. Using the laptop the same way without being able to replicate the issue means to me that it looks like an external factor is at play but to be honest between me and you discussing lets just leave it at that. :-)

O right so they made it up maybe.
    facepalm.jpg

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    Computers are complicated. Quite often they are released with a problem. Which is why many places won't buy new models, only those that have been on sale for a while. To make sure all the bugs have been fixed.

Theres a zillion netbooks, from sony all different colours. You'd need to be specific if you want help.

as i said there is a previous post with a link to an amazon page with my model netbook on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

axer wrote: »
    facepalm.jpg

That must be for yourself, because to say this
    Originally Posted by axer viewpost.gif
    Except the OP doesnt seem to have any problem replicating the issue at home at a max of 25 mins as per the OP.

is suggesting you think the OP is making it up, is that what you really think?

So i said this,,,, (being sarcastic)
    Originally Posted by robbie7730 viewpost.gif
    O right so they made it up maybe.
    Obviously the sarcasm bit passed you by there. Think too logically do we?
    I think maybe this is why you felt so defensive, when I say replicate the error I do no mean you are consciously causing the error but that you are able to make it happen - that is not blaming you in any way. I manage a computer network where I look after 40 users and a load of servers, when a user reports a problem the most important thing for me its to see the problem in action (or have the error message). If I have neither I have to assume user error first until it happens again whereby the user is aware to provide the necessary info.

A i see now, you reckon the OP switched on the notebook, and the screen flashed on and off and froze, but it must of been user error. Well done there.

It would be a help. The op does not need technical skills to replicate the issues in his/her house so why would he/she need them in the shop. Using the laptop the same way without being able to replicate the issue means to me that it looks like an external factor is at play but to be honest between me and you discussing lets just leave it at that. :-)

Ok what if the problem was caused by a loose connection on the ribbon connector from the screen onto the motherboard and this was causing it? Hypothetically speaking im saying, then this could be ok for days then happen again. You seem to believe pc problems will be predictable and at perfect intervals. Hard to believe you work at them if you believe this.

That must be for yourself, because to say this

is suggesting you think the OP is making it up, is that what you really think?

So i said this,,,, (being sarcastic)

Obviously the sarcasm bit passed you by there. Think too logically do we?

A i see now, you reckon the OP switched on the notebook, and the screen flashed on and off and froze, but it must of been user error. Well done there.
    double-facepalm.jpg

Ok what if the problem was caused by a loose connection on the ribbon connector from the screen onto the motherboard and this was causing it? Hypothetically speaking im saying, then this could be ok for days then happen again. You seem to believe pc problems will be predictable and at perfect intervals. Hard to believe you work at them if you believe this.
    Read the thread please. The op has clearly explained all this already so I won't explain it again or you will go on hypothecically forever.

• Advertisement

Originally Posted by BostonB viewpost.gif
    What your point? That consumer (with no technical skillset) should be able to replicate the environment of her house, in the shop?

axer

Really is hard to believe you look after 40 computer users when you give an answer like that above.
    Just explain how do you replicate a fault you have no control over? Thats all, tell us. Your the expert:confused:
    Although you seem better able to work in pictures so far so maybe thats best, im sure you have now spent the intervening time finding your next picture reply instead of using your obvious expertise:D to solve the op`s problem:pac:

Read the thread please. The op has clearly explained all this already so I won't explain it again or you will go on hypothecically forever.

So it could not possibly be a loose connector to the screen then? No? I said hypothetically because i am not saying this is the problem, i am saying this because a loose robbon into a connector would not be able to be predicted when it will show itself, and so going to the shop it might not show itself. And many other problems can be just as intermittent. Thats all. No big deal.

You are suggesting the problem showed up after 25 minutes, and so should show up again 25 minutes after that, and again,,, is this your experience with computers? No chance it could be intermittent and unpredictable. I wish they were always as simple as that.

I do understand obviously sony have to see a fault to prove it's faulty but I don't think leaving me with a faulty laptop is right either.

It would be great if like magic it would also happen in the shop but that's technology for you, it makes a liar of you :p

It does not help when others make a liar of you as well. I always find pc problems can be very intermittent, i would not be happy at all with your situation, i know the shop has to see some problem arise alright. Any devices we use can have intermittent unpredictable faults. And they can be hard to find if they dont show up, thats the point some have made and thats true. But that does not mean there is not a problem. Anyone with a bit of common sense can see a pc can give problems which can then be hard to spot, or to predict when they will re-occur, and it would be very plausible it would not show itself in a shop within an hour timeframe.

Really is hard to believe you look after 40 computer users when you give an answer like that above.
    Just explain how do you replicate a fault you have no control over? Thats all, tell us. Your the expert:confused:
    Although you seem better able to work in pictures so far so maybe thats best, im sure you have now spent the intervening time finding your next picture reply instead of using your obvious expertise:D to solve the op`s problem:pac:
    Well I tried to give the op some help but he/she then proceeded to personal abuse me 4 times on this thread which I would assume is against the forum rules but he/she managed to go without without infraction (but I'm not a mod).

The problem here is the op seems to be able to replicate the problem at home easily but not in the shop. This indicates to me there is an external factor involved but I have explained this lots of times already in this thread so not sure why I am being asked again.

It does not help when others make a liar of you as well.
    You mean when posters are asked for further clarification. Some people take offense to this unnecessarily as if their word is being attacked when all they are being asked for is further information. Some people expect to never be questioned as if they know all and can never make a mistake or misinterpret something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The usual IT/Retail impasse. The user gives up and expects IT to fix it, and IT/Retail give up unless they hear more from the user.
    The Engineer and the Manager

A man is flying in a hot air balloon and realizes he is lost. He reduces height and spots a man down below. He lowers the balloon further and shouts: "Excuse me, can you help me? I promised my friend I would meet him half an hour ago, but I don't know where I am."
    The man below says: "Yes. You are in a hot air balloon, hovering approximately 30 feet above this field. You are between 40 and 42 degrees N. latitude, and between 58 and 60 degrees W. longitude."
    "You must be an engineer," says the balloonist.
    "I am," replies the man. "How did you know?"
    "Well," says the balloonist, "everything you have told me is technically correct, but I have no idea what to make of your information, and the fact is I am still lost.
    "The man below says, "You must be a manager."
    "I am," replies the balloonist, "but how did you know?"
    "Well," says the man, "you don't know where you are, or where you are going. You have made a promise which you have no idea how to keep, and you expect me to solve your problem. The fact is you are in the exact same position you were in before we met, but now it is somehow my fault."

IT/retail get a bad rep, the user ends up with something that doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

having worked in electronics retail for 4/5 years the problem usually exists with the user especially when its not reproducible.

I dont understand customers who walk into a place they've bought something and expect godly treatment from sales staff on a support issue. The OP says that if the sony centre couldnt find a problem they should take it back and switch it for a new one - tell me OP would you be happy if your laptop had been returned by someone and Sony had resold it to you? Also there is no way in hell a member of staff called you a liar, thats why people have taken an issue with your story -they may have said something which may imply you're lying but i cant believe someone uttered the words "you're a liar"...

Anyway it sounds like an over heating problem to me, are you using it on your lap?

having worked in electronics retail for 4/5 years the problem usually exists with the user especially when its not reproducible.

I dont understand customers who walk into a place they've bought something and expect godly treatment from sales staff on a support issue. The OP says that if the sony centre couldnt find a problem they should take it back and switch it for a new one - tell me OP would you be happy if your laptop had been returned by someone and Sony had resold it to you?

Anyway it sounds like an over heating problem to me, are you using it on your lap?

Please read the thread. This question has already been answered.

I don't expect godly treatment, I expect to get what was paid for.

Also, they called both myself and my boyfriend liars and also told us we were contradicting ourselves simply because the laptop worked fine in the shop eventhough we were reporting a fault at home.

You mean when posters are asked for further clarification. Some people take offense to this unnecessarily as if their word is being attacked when all they are being asked for is further information. Some people expect to never be questioned as if they know all and can never make a mistake or misinterpret something.

Yes but you really do seem to believe a problem must definitely show up in a shop if it did at home. You surely must realise this is not always the case. A problem could show once or twice in a day, or a few times, then not show for a few days. Are you saying this is not possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Orlock

Hi there, if there is any doubt regarding the issues you were having at home, you can prove it by looking in the Window Event Viewer, this log records any failure of the system to run / load etc and saves the date time and error code, it would certainly help you case

• Advertisement

Yes but you really do seem to believe a problem must definitely show up in a shop if it did at home. You surely must realise this is not always the case. A problem could show once or twice in a day, or a few times, then not show for a few days. Are you saying this is not possible?
    The op has indicated that this problem was constant at home I.e no problem replicating.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Please read the thread. This question has already been answered.

I don't expect godly treatment, I expect to get what was paid for.

Also, they called both myself and my boyfriend liars and also told us we were contradicting ourselves simply because the laptop worked fine in the shop eventhough we were reporting a fault at home.

sorry but i find it very difficult to believe they outright said "you are lying" or "you're liars", you never seem to confirm this from going through the thread - i know its pedantic but could you give me a direct quote?

I very much look forward to hearing Sony's response, if its not over heating then its something very very odd...

sorry but i find it very difficult to believe they outright said "you are lying" or "you're liars", you never seem to confirm this from going through the thread - i know its pedantic but could you give me a direct quote?

I very much look forward to hearing Sony's response, if its not over heating then its something very very odd...

that is the direct quote :confused:

Me too. Anyday now I'm sure.... :rolleyes:

Orlock wrote: »
    Hi there, if there is any doubt regarding the issues you were having at home, you can prove it by looking in the Window Event Viewer, this log records any failure of the system to run / load etc and saves the date time and error code, it would certainly help you case

laptop is in the sony centre now to be sent to sony for tests, i assume they will look at this, the shop didn't appear to do this or if they did it didn't show the failure

I dont understand customers who walk into a place they've bought something and expect godly treatment from sales staff on a support issue.

I dont think the average customer wants godly treatment, just working items they bought. But not all customers of course, i have seen some who are ridiculous in their manner toward staff alright.
    The OP says that if the sony centre couldnt find a problem they should take it back and switch it for a new one - tell me OP would you be happy if your laptop had been returned by someone and Sony had resold it to you?

Can you say this never happens, because i can say it does, i bought a sat nav from a large retailer here which was obviously a return.
    The op just wanted a working notebook/netbook they paid for.

Maybe it is overheating but the vents would want to be well blocked up to cause that to give the problems mentioned. If using them on lap was the cause then an awful lot more notebooks would be seen overheating. But maybe it is.

The op has indicated that this problem was constant at home I.e no problem replicating.

Ok whats the possibilities.
    It never happened and the op is just going into the shop for a laugh

Or it can only happen at home because they have a high humidity high temperature atmosphere the notebook cant work in.

Or it did happen but would not happen in the shop.

Which is most likely?
    Tell us which you think it is, as i said, i seen plenty of pc`s acting up for a day or 2 regularly and then work fine for a day or 2 without problems. Then it shows up again. This is not possible in your opinion? Im not having a go, just interested.

I dont think the average customer wants godly treatment, just working items they bought. But not all customers of course, i have seen some who are ridiculous in their manner toward staff alright.

Can you say this never happens, because i can say it does, i bought a sat nav from a large retailer here which was obviously a return.
    The op just wanted a working notebook/netbook they paid for.

Maybe it is overheating but the vents would want to be well blocked up to cause that to give the problems mentioned. If using them on lap was the cause then an awful lot more notebooks would be seen overheating. But maybe it is.

Never used it on my lap and vents definitely aren't blocked. This was not even mentioned by the people in the sony centre until my boyfriend mentioned it. My boyfriend said he had thought it may be overheating but then said because the laptop is brand new it surely would be impossible to overheat after 10-25 minutes first time it was powered up and the guy looking at the laptop agreed.

Orlock wrote: »

Yes that would of been a useful idea alright to see would it report anything.

Never used it on my lap and vents definitely aren't blocked. This was not even mentioned by the people in the sony centre until my boyfriend mentioned it. My boyfriend said he had thought it may be overheating but then said because the laptop is brand new it surely would be impossible to overheat after 10-25 minutes first time it was powered up and the guy looking at the laptop agreed.

How often did it show a problem at home, 25 minutes after first on, then how long, and was it regular, and how many times in total.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I always find pc problems can be very intermittent, i would not be happy at all with your situation, i know the shop has to see some problem arise alright.

Yeah, but in this case the OP said that the problem reoccurred regularly (within 30 mins of use) and constantly, it was fair enough of us to assume that this was more than an intermittent issue.

Advertisement