Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken bed! Help please!

Options
  • 30-12-2010 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

Ok, as some of you might know from my previous posts me and housemate are renting in a **** hole of a house etc etc.

Well house mate was away for xmas and came back today, went into her room sat on her bed and the bed broke in half! The bed is rikity and sounds old and badly put together anyway but didnt expect it to break in half!

So we rang the landlady/lord, both of them said either fix it or BUY A NEW ONE for the house! WFT!

Is it not up to the landlord to replace a bed that is ONLY used for sleeping on if it breaks? It is part of the furniture is it not?

When we moved in the cooker broke the day after we moved in, we rang landlord and they replaced it, they said they thought it was in working order and got a new one right away, is this not the same thing? something you use everyday in the house?
    We have 8 more months in this house now with no way out with their air tight 1 year contract and i can see our deposit gone as they are c*nts since the start. Dont know if Threshold would be able to help or anything here.

AAAAAHHHH this is a hell house!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

Ok, as some of you might know from my previous posts me and housemate are renting in a **** hole of a house etc etc.

Well house mate was away for xmas and came back today, went into her room sat on her bed and the bed broke in half! The bed is rikity and sounds old and badly put together anyway but didnt expect it to break in half!

So we rang the landlady/lord, both of them said either fix it or BUY A NEW ONE for the house! WFT!

Is it not up to the landlord to replace a bed that is ONLY used for sleeping on if it breaks? It is part of the furniture is it not?

When we moved in the cooker broke the day after we moved in, we rang landlord and they replaced it, they said they thought it was in working order and got a new one right away, is this not the same thing? something you use everyday in the house?
    We have 8 more months in this house now with no way out with their air tight 1 year contract and i can see our deposit gone as they are c*nts since the start. Dont know if Threshold would be able to help or anything here.

AAAAAHHHH this is a hell house!

she broke a bed by just sitting on it ?? what weight is this girl ?
    soungs highly unusual to me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

delllat wrote: »

Yup thanks for the help Dellat...

The bed is old and cheap, it broke along the side where the brackets hold the mattress up, I dont know what that part is really called, I can see that glue was holding it together and some VERY small nails too.
    The landlord just laught down the phone to her and said it was her problem!
    Why the hell would a tennet buy a brand new bed for a house she rents in and will be leaving in 7 months. I would expect the landlord to say get a cheap bed out of next months rent and then its sorted.

I have never met such difficult rude people in my life. Are they not responible for the furnishings in the house if they break? I mean like we are quiet people, no party or anything like that. living between to neighbours that seem to be drunks on one side and on the other side the couple beat the **** out of each other infront of there screaming children but thats another story to our paper thin wall house.

Last landlady i had would have been absolutely mortified if this had happened in her house and would have just replaced it or sent someone around to fixed it right away with no arguments at all. Poor girls room now looks like a crack den. wft!

Little help here please!

Edit: Also I am suprised my bed hasnt broken yet, as it is a cheap and old bed frame base missing all the hard fabic from it that holds up my thin mattress.

Yup thanks for the help Dellat...

The bed is old and cheap, it broke along the side where the brackets hold the mattress up, I dont know what that part is really called, I can see that glue was holding it together and some VERY small nails too.
    The landlord just laught down the phone to her and said it was her problem!
    Why the hell would a tennet buy a brand new bed for a house she rents in and will be leaving in 7 months. I would expect the landlord to say get a cheap bed out of next months rent and then its sorted.

I have never met such difficult rude people in my life. Are they not responible for the furnishings in the house if they break? I mean like we are quiet people, no party or anything like that. living between to neighbours that seem to be drunks on one side and on the other side the couple beat the **** out of each other infront of there screaming children but thats another story to our paper thin wall house.

Last landlady i had would have been absolutely mortified if this had happened in her house and would have just replaced it or sent someone around to fixed it right away with no arguments at all. Poor girls room now looks like a crack den. wft!

Little help here please!

Edit: Also I am suprised my bed hasnt broken yet, as it is a cheap and old bed frame base missing all the hard fabic from it that holds up my thin mattress.

if the beds are that old they probably needed replaced even before you have moved in

landlords will generally consider all breakages to be "outside fair and tear " so are fully chargeable to the tenant that broke them

you need to prove that bed was unfit for normal use ,i dont know whose side will be taken by the prtb or a judge in a small claim court in a case like this

its bad luck getting the blame for breaking something that was almost broke anyway but if the landlord is as bad as you he is he could purchase a new bed and take it from the deposit

you could just cancel your last payment and "live out" your deposit for the final month but that probably wouldnt be legal (but i did it once )

if the beds are that old they probably needed replaced even before you have moved in

landlords will generally consider all breakages to be "outside fair and tear " so are fully chargeable to the tenant that broke them

you need to prove that bed was unfit for normal use ,i dont know whose side will be taken by the prtb or a judge in a small claim court in a case like this

its bad luck getting the blame for breaking something that was almost broke anyway but if the landlord is as bad as you he is he could purchase a new bed and take it from the deposit

you could just cancel your last payment and "live out" your deposit for the final month but that probably wouldnt be legal (but i did it once )

Ahh that doesnt sound good at all! I would have thought he would/could do that, take it out of the deposit for a bed frame, wouldnt mind that, but him saying buy a new bed yourself, thats not on! We do not own the house!
    The landlord is a handy man/DIY person so i dont see how he can not just fix the bed himself next week or so, he's the landlord!
    This has just rightly p!ssed me off no end, nothing but problems it seems in this house and having no bed (the whole point of renting a place is having a decent bed to sleep on is it not!) is just pushing us over the edge now and still no way out of their poxy air tight contract.
    I thought of doing the dont pay last months rent but I'm not a c*nt and wouldnt do that to anyone.
    But it prob will come to that and hard ball will have to be played here. The thoughts of going to small courts with something like this that can be cleared up by him with a few nails is madness!

I shall kiss our deposit goodbye and start saving for a deposit now I think while I wait for my crap bed to break too!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Sounds like normal wear and tear and the landlord should replace it.
    I'd advice them to get a divan because in my experience, most other beds break.

Consider moving out when you can as your landlord sounds like a pain in the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

My husband has broken 2 of our (not cheap) beds by sitting on them. In both cases he just sat down and there was a loud crack and the base was broken. He is not heavy at all - slim build - just bad design of beds. We now have a divan base and although there have been a couple of ominous cracks - nothing broken yet.

OP - I repaired our broken beds myself - its not that hard, just got to get pieces of wood to reinforce the broken bit.

The-Rigger wrote: »

Consider moving out when you can as your landlord sounds like a pain in the hole.

Will look into that, but want the landlord to fix the problem not us putting money into this dive of a cold house.

Stuck here until the end of July next, this has been the longest 5 months of our lives so far, and putting a lot of strain on our friendship too for that matter. The bloody stress of it all!

My husband has broken 2 of our (not cheap) beds by sitting on them. In both cases he just sat down and there was a loud crack and the base was broken. He is not heavy at all - slim build - just bad design of beds. We now have a divan base and although there have been a couple of ominous cracks - nothing broken yet.

OP - I repaired our broken beds myself - its not that hard, just got to get pieces of wood to reinforce the broken bit.

Yeah housemate said last night she is going to try put it back together herself like you said.
    I couldnt give a f*ck about the next tenents that move in but they are going to have the same problem next year too with this bed.

I shall find a way to ruin the landlords name, i have done it before.

The-Rigger wrote: »

broken furniture,holes in walls and cigareete burns or badly stained carpets is outside normal wear and tear

you need to make a case that the bed was so old and damaged it was nearly broken anyway so he replaces it instead of you

tell him the prtb are sending someone around for an inspection next week (he will probably fix whatever needs fixing before it happens )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

What a cnut! My parents are landlords, and I often help them with renovating the property. We always make sure everything is in perfect working order and that nothing is broken, or going to break. Your landlord seems to be a right tool. We get most of our tenants from people like them :D If I were you, I'd try and repair it, and get out of that place. I don't think I'd recommend living off the deposit; one, its illegal and two, it will make it hard for you to get your next accomodation.

• Advertisement

mtb_kng wrote: »
    What a cnut! My parents are landlords, and I often help them with renovating the property. We always make sure everything is in perfect working order and that nothing is broken, or going to break. Your landlord seems to be a right tool. We get most of our tenants from people like them :D If I were you, I'd try and repair it, and get out of that place. I don't think I'd recommend living off the deposit; one, its illegal and two, it will make it hard for you to get your next accomodation.

Yeah kind of aware that it would/will be difficult to get a ref of them anyway.
    I'm not going to 'live off the deposit' for the last month. I want that money back, we havnt done anything wrong at all.

I dont expect a landlord to bend over backwards for me at all but i do expect some sort of help if something goes wrong, like a bed breaking!

It seems like i have no option here but to fix the poxy bed and keep the head down till july and get a friend to give me a ref if they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Would your friend consider buying herself a new bed that's comfortable, storing the old one that's in the house, and when you leave, take the new bed with you and leave the old one there fixed up as best you can, as per the LLs instructions to fix it yourself? At least then your friend will have a decent bed to sleep in, and can take it with her when she moves, and the LL will still have his own bed there when you leave, fixed up as he asked so he can't pretend to have any problems with that.

We've bought a lot of our own furniture over the years and just move it with us. Bit of a hassle transporting stuff when you move but worth it to have comfortable usable furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Yeah housemate said last night she is going to try put it back together herself like you said.
    I couldnt give a f*ck about the next tenents that move in but they are going to have the same problem next year too with this bed.

I shall find a way to ruin the landlords name, i have done it before.

Wow... with that phrase you sound like the tenant from hell.... If you had issues with previous landlords, maybe you are the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

OP the Landlord sounds like a bit of tight wad.. If the bed was in as bad a condition as you say, then I think it only fair they should fork out for a new one - especially if you don't plan on taking it with you when you leave, which I assume you don't, and if you did that would probably raise more problems.

I had a similar situation with my tenants last year. The bed kinda fell apart over time. It wasn't new, but it wasn't cheap either and it was fine when they moved in. They're great tenants though and I doubt they did anything out of the ordinary to cause the bed to break as it did.

I told them to choose a new bed/mattress (within an agreed budget) and take it out of the rent. They did, it's a nice sturdy divan bed, and it'll be staying when they move out.

Not unreasonable to expect the LL to replace the bed IMO.

Advertisement