Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republican or Democrat

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

OisinT wrote: »
    oh god...

Are you ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

this website outlines exactly what campaign promises obama has kept, broken and is still working on half way through his term

remember the republicians up to the last round of elections were vehemently opposed to everything he did, right or wrong they voted against everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

I think people need to give Obama a bit of a break....and some time.

He inherited a complete shítstorm from the Bush Administration which is going to take quite a long time to undo. Okay, he's missed deadlines, but what President hasn't. It's foolish for people to believe everything is going to operate like clockwork and on schedule, especially given the circumstances. America was hit hard by the economic crisis. Every leader throughout the world struggled to get the upper hand. Some succeeded, some will get there.

He has already accomplished ground-breaking work with regards to healthcare in America. An issue which is very difficult to reform because of powerful lobbyist groups such as health insurance companies who need to make their billions in profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

President has no real power anyway. Corporations own the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

RichieC wrote: »
    President has no real power anyway. Corporations own the US.
    I know a guy my age who is a lobbyist, as was his father.

They are unbelievably rich and control almost every bit of legislation that goes through the Congress in the US.

I know a guy my age who is a lobbyist, as was his father.

They are unbelievably rich and control almost every bit of legislation that goes through the Congress in the US.

Republican?

Republican?
    Yeah.

Yeah.

They're pure evil.

Most republicans are just so utterly sold on the american dream propaganda that they all think they will definitely be rich at some stage in their lives, so they hate taxing the rich and regulating the market.

That's one theory anyways as to why they'd consistently vote against their own interests.

RichieC wrote: »
    Most republicans are just so utterly sold on the american dream propaganda that they all think they will definitely be rich at some stage in their lives, so they hate taxing the rich and regulating the market.

That's one theory anyways as to why they'd consistently vote against their own interests.
    That's one thing I don't understand. Why do a bunch of people living in trailer parks have the interests of the mega-wealthy in mind?

I genuinely think that the right wing just are anti-gay, pro-gun, etc so that they keep their base... I genuinely doubt any of these rich republicans give a rats ass about gun ownership or gay marriage.

• Advertisement

Rich Republicans party with the Rich Democrats.

It's a picture perfect demonstration of divide and conquer.

sadly you see it here, though as yet not as frightening. but a good example is the ostracisation of the Public Sector workers.

Blame them on this and that then watch the rest of the country vote to fk them over, never really stopping to think that what they are actually doing is gutting their own public services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I wonder is there a similar poll on an American website asking are they Fianna Fail or Fine Gael?

I wonder is there a similar poll on an American website asking are they Fianna Fail or Fine Gael?
    Considering they all think they're "Irish" I wouldn't be surprised if there was.

BTW: It's kind of stupid to point this out anyway. So what if people have an interest in US politics. It is always on our TV and has an effect on the world as a whole. Wouldn't you be interested in who has their finger on the nuclear button: a rational forward-thinking person versus a hick who would gladly sacrifice everyone in the world including the "liberal elite" of their own country to save a bunch in inbred cowboys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Have you forgotten how they came to be there in the first place?

No.

Neither have I forgotten how we were told how they would be brought home.

orourkeda wrote: »
    No.

Neither have I forgotten how we were told how they would be brought home.
    Numbers have been greatly reduced. Obama said he would end the combat mission in Iraq and he did.
    He said he would lower troop numbers in Iraq and he has.

You're totally wrong about Afghanistan. In "A 21st Century Military for America", Obama actually promised to send two additional brigades of troops to Afghanistan. He has done this. Not only that, but he also ensured that old equipment was replaced and increased the amount of armour that troops had and in fact spent $6.3 billion for Mine-Resistant, Ambush-Protected vehicles alone.

In fact, in December 2009, Obama sent an additional 30,000 troops to Afghanistan.
    In January 2010, he said that in 18 months troops would start coming home from Afghanistan. However, this cannot be done until the resources that we need to seize the initiative, while building the Afghan capacity that can allow for a responsible transition of our forces out of Afghanistan..." are present.

Numbers have been greatly reduced. Obama said he would end the combat mission in Iraq and he did.
    He said he would lower troop numbers in Iraq and he has.

You're totally wrong about Afghanistan. In "A 21st Century Military for America", Obama actually promised to send two additional brigades of troops to Afghanistan. He has done this. Not only that, but he also ensured that old equipment was replaced and increased the amount of armour that troops had and in fact spent $6.3 billion for Mine-Resistant, Ambush-Protected vehicles alone.

In fact, in December 2009, Obama sent an additional 30,000 troops to Afghanistan.
    In January 2010, he said that in 18 months troops would start coming home from Afghanistan. However, this cannot be done until the resources that we need to seize the initiative, while building the Afghan capacity that can allow for a responsible transition of our forces out of Afghanistan..." are present.
    BTW Obama has fúcked up one promise: Support human mission to moon by 2020

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

The arse has fallen out of his approval ratings for a start.

The obvious statement is that he was simply unworthy of the adulation that was heaped upon at the time of his election and he has failed spectacularly to live up to his billing.

He's no different from many politicians in the sense that he has either failed completely to deliver on the promises that he made or did so in a manner that did not tally

His approval ratings are irrelevant if you're talking about what he has or hasn't achieved.

That ridiculous video (which I have watched before), was made before he became President. So, again, I don't see how that backs up your claim that he is not a good President and has supposedly done "jacksh*t".
    Firstly did Barack Promise to close Guantanamo Bay within one year of taking office?
    So thats one promise he failed to deliver on. A prerry prominent tenet to his campaign

Yes. That's one promise he wasn't able to keep. Well done. That doesn't mean has hasn't done anything as President.
    Did he say that he would have troops out of Iraq by the end of march 2009?

Then it was delayed to Aug 2010

Now its the end of 2011

He never said he'd have troops out by March 2009, actually. As well as that, I'm pretty sure he never gave a deadline to have every single soldier out of Iraq. The deadlines he set were deadlines for the war to end. Which happened four months ago.
    President Obama ws credited recently with the repeal of the don't ask dont tell laws why hasnt he extended this to civilian same sex couples?

They still dont have equality on things like adoption and he promised that he would put pressure on states to imrove this.

Obama has done a huge amount, and signed laws, that extended far greater rights to gay couples.

It's clear from your replies that you made up your mind about Obama before he was even sworn in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I hope Sarah gets in with her big mad head on her and starts a big mad fukcing war somewhere, killing loads of brown people. Unfortunately, that's not likely to happen. She won't get nominated for a variety of reasons. We'll probably have to put up with Obama for another term with his boring, practical politics. At least if Palin got in she'd insist on bombing the **** out of somewhere; it would be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

BTW Obama has fúcked up one promise: Support human mission to moon by 2020

:mad:
    He's screwed up numerous promises, revealing his messianic campaign to be nothing more than politics as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Damn all difference between the two parties.

So I'm surprised at the poll though I probably shouldn't be

So many stereotypes in this thread, I'm reading about hicks and trailer parks :rolleyes:
    Can you be even more patronizing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Obama's approval ratings are still pretty poor. Below 50. Reagan and Clinton got theirs up over 50 this year in their presidencies. The juries still out on him.

What the feck is this doing in here?

Advertisement