Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

the diesel issue... moving from petrol land

• 30-12-2010 11:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

I saw this discussed on the other 15k car thread but didn't want to highjack it so I'm creating this separately.

Basically, we have a 02 1.4L petrol Astra. She sailed through the NCT in the summer and ticks pretty much all the boxes currently. We put roughly 15k a year on her, the majority of which are motorway miles (rarely used for commuting midweek).

But our circumstances are changing and a three door won't really cut it in a few months... so considering alternatives (a 2010 1.7 CTDI model Astra) then the new range of diesels seemed a no brainer. Cheaper fuel, cheaper to tax...

But the claims in the other thread that urban driving would damage a diesel and that newer green diesels are unreliable has me worried...

Anyone have any opinions on this?

Cheers,
    Quad
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

The problem with a lot of current diesels is they are fitted with Diesel Particulate Filters (DPFs) to meet emissions and need a regular long journey to clean them, do nothing but short journeys and they will clog.

Trouble is a lot of motorists don't understand this or never read the manuals and the DPFs are expensive to replace. For short journeys a petrol is better but this country is very diesel oriented once you get to medium sized cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

quad_red wrote: »
    But the claims in the other thread that urban driving would damage a diesel and that newer green diesels are unreliable has me worried...

Anyone have any opinions on this?

Cheers,
    Quad

Think religious servicing is a key there. Shorten the oil change intervals at least.

What mileage do you do a year? Work out what you spend currently and knock 40% off the bill. then add annual road tax saving.

If you keep the car for 5 years then you'll get a feeling for the savings that are "possible".

Get a high mileage diesel "Dog" and start it from stone cold and figure out if you can live with that racket. We couldn't live with the VW TDI so it got the boot. (we were embarrased to start it in the morning at weekends).

You'll get a hell of a lot more car for your money if you go petrol. And if you are an urbanite doing short journeys then you might be able to live with petrol

We couldn't live with the VW TDI so it got the boot. (we were embarrased to start it in the morning at weekends).

Are you serious ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

RoverJames wrote: »
    Are you serious ?
    I don't believe it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,561 ✭✭✭✭vectra

By your comment about your circumstances are changing and needing more than 3 door i assume an addition to the family resulting in baby seat and buggy in the boot??
    No brainer would be a new octavia tdi
    Huge boot
    New car
    Possibly bought for less than the 2010 astra
    Possibly cheaoper tax than a 1.7 astra (octavia 1.6 tdi = €104 )

Just a suggestion ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

(@Vectra, yeah circumstances are changing so back doors and more boot room are gonna become important :o )

Thanks for all the replies folks. In regards to miles - we live in Dublin but we're from opposite ends of Ireland. So, cos we don't use it to commute, the 15k approx mileage a year we are putting onto our current car is 90% motorway cruising.

However, with changing circumstances I would forsee increased urban driving as well.

In regards to the diesel issue, would a service be required every 10K? How often should the oil be changed?

Hadn't considered an Octavia. Only experience with them is taxi's. I know they've got a great reliability reputation on here but what are they like to drive? I mean, I'm not bothered about badges etc. but it would be nice to get something that's pleasant to drive.

There does seem to be savage value available: http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Octavia/ELEGANCE/201050200538586/advert?channel=CARS&featuredListingClickThru=true

well, I cannot quote on driving the elegance or others but i did buy a new vRS tdi a few weeks back and love the driving feel.
    That one you linked to is nicely specced.. You will be doing mixed driving so I would not worry about the DPF on it.. You travel from Dublin to "Cork"? If Cork then give Tarrants a shout..Got mine there and price could not be beaten..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

vectra wrote: »
    ...i did buy a new vRS tdi a few weeks back and love the driving feel.

Vectra, you've been talking about your new vRS for the last 6 months or more - what's the story:confused:?

pburns wrote: »
    Vectra, you've been talking about your new vRS for the last 6 months or more - what's the story:confused:?

Talked about it over 6 months ago when I ORDERED it.. I only got it on 5th October ;)

Worth the wait though :D

Advertisement