Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Tax & Supply Problems

Options
  • 30-12-2010 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

With the water supply problems we've been having over the past week or so, it got me thinking.

As I understand it, a water tax is to be introduced in the next year or so. If this tax is raised, I wonder what that money will be used for? Is it to replenish the empty coffers, or will it be used to invest in the water infrastructure which is so woefully inadequate??

This the second winter in succession we have had major problems with the supply especially in the north of the city. Last year, I wrote to all three TD's asking what if any corrective action would be taken. Only one replied, telling me there was an inquiry ongoing. It would seem this inquiry is a massive waste of money that could be put to far better use, as it seems nothing has been done. Certainly, no lessons have been learnt.

It must've been known that after such bad weather, there would be problems with burst mains and the like, but it seems that the council are reactive, rather than being proactive. I know the workers have performed heroics to get some of sort supply going, but this is just firefighting, not getting down to the nub of the problem and FIXING it!

I dunno, I just get so frustrated at the apparent lack of will to get this problem sorted. In some ways, I wish we did pay water rates like they do in England. There would be no way people would be left with no running water for days on end as compensation would have to be paid, and the water companies don't want that!!

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

With the water supply problems we've been having over the past week or so, it got me thinking.

As I understand it, a water tax is to be introduced in the next year or so. If this tax is raised, I wonder what that money will be used for? Is it to replenish the empty coffers, or will it be used to invest in the water infrastructure which is so woefully inadequate??

This the second winter in succession we have had major problems with the supply especially in the north of the city. Last year, I wrote to all three TD's asking what if any corrective action would be taken. Only one replied, telling me there was an inquiry ongoing. It would seem this inquiry is a massive waste of money that could be put to far better use, as it seems nothing has been done. Certainly, no lessons have been learnt.

It must've been known that after such bad weather, there would be problems with burst mains and the like, but it seems that the council are reactive, rather than being proactive. I know the workers have performed heroics to get some of sort supply going, but this is just firefighting, not getting down to the nub of the problem and FIXING it!

I dunno, I just get so frustrated at the apparent lack of will to get this problem sorted. In some ways, I wish we did pay water rates like they do in England. There would be no way people would be left with no running water for days on end as compensation would have to be paid, and the water companies don't want that!!

What do you think?

Northern Ireland has a private company supplying water and they are in a worse state than us.

Ask yourself do the Irish government use the money raised from road tax to repair the roads and you will have your answer to the first question.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

it seems that the council are reactive, rather than being proactive.

Nothing new there !!

bit like that all over the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

The_Banker wrote: »
    Northern Ireland has a private company supplying water and they are in a worse state than us.

Ask yourself do the Irish government use the money raised from road tax to repair the roads and you will have your answer to the first question.

I thought the NIW was state-owned, and not private. I also think that no water rate is payable in NI, but might be wrong there.

In answer to your second point. I suppose I was asking a rhetorical question, as it would be too much to expect the government to invest in the water infrastructure. *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭BarneyMagee

I think it's crazy the Government is considering going around to every house in Ireland and installing a water meter at the stop cock. It'll cost billions just to get it up and running before the Government will be in a position to start charging people for water.

Gormley says the meters are necessary for people to conserve water which I find difficult to accept. Actually producing and treating the water is not a major cost. We know we have plenty of rain here in Ireland. The real problem is the infrastructure used to bring water to our front door. There are numerous leaks and pipes burst in the cold.

Because everyone uses the water system an across the board water tax would be more economical. It would save the need for meters and provide funds for upgrading the network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

NI Water is not a private company. There is no specific water charge in NI, however a portion of the annual 'rates' bill (a similar charge to council tax in England) is meant to go towards water. Heavy investment is needed in water infrastructure in NI and is long overdue, but talk of introducing water charges (which has been going on for years!) is consistently met with opposition. Figures on the news this morning suggest that private companies in England have invested 20 times the amount NI water has over a similar period (I don't know if the physical size difference of the two regions has been taken into account in the reporting of those figures).

In Cork my main issue is with the Council and their total lack of containment/management of an event that was reasonably foreseeable (i.e. deep freeze + predicted thaw = water problems). I don't doubt the repair workers on the ground did all they could and continue to do so, but the relative silence of the Council on the issue (presumably because it's Christmas) is wholly unacceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It must've been known that after such bad weather, there would be problems with burst mains and the like, but it seems that the council are reactive, rather than being proactive.
    So, how do you think the council should work out where these leaks are before they are detectable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭hayzer

Northern Ireland Water is owned by the NI Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I think it's crazy the Government is considering going around to every house in Ireland and installing a water meter at the stop cock. It'll cost billions just to get it up and running before the Government will be in a position to start charging people for water.

Gormley says the meters are necessary for people to conserve water which I find difficult to accept. Actually producing and treating the water is not a major cost. We know we have plenty of rain here in Ireland. The real problem is the infrastructure used to bring water to our front door. There are numerous leaks and pipes burst in the cold.

Because everyone uses the water system an across the board water tax would be more economical. It would save the need for meters and provide funds for upgrading the network.

If thats the case just stick a bucket on your roof and catch the rain ;)

IMO the way people use water in Ireland is brutal, i've heard suggestions of people leaving their taps on to stop it from freezing. Also when theres a shortage people go off and fill their baths etc.

I.E. I shouldn't have to pay for your bath when I take a shower.

You already have a Gas/Electricity meter, why not water ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Victor wrote: »
    So, how do you think the council should work out where these leaks are before they are detectable?

Of course no-one can work out where these leaks may be. But the council CAN be better prepared. Like I say, it doesn't take an awful lot of brainpower to realise there might be a problem given the recent extreme weather. It is also well known there are particular problems in the North side (witness the water supply cut off we had in 2009 and again the beginning of last year).

To me the City Council have again been complacent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

If thats the case just stick a bucket on your roof and catch the rain ;)

IMO the way people use water in Ireland is brutal, i've heard suggestions of people leaving their taps on to stop it from freezing. Also when theres a shortage people go off and fill their baths etc.

I.E. I shouldn't have to pay for your bath when I take a shower.

You already have a Gas/Electricity meter, why not water ?

Don't worry, people will still leave the tap open a few days a year even if they have to pay for it and we'll still have shortages.

Water tax is just another 'we need money to pay back the bailout' tax and nothing more. Think of it as an extension of the property tax but the lads in the Dail, thick and all as they are know that people would rather pay 2x 300e than 600.

• Advertisement
Advertisement