Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunch with future mother-in-law

Options
  • 30-12-2010 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

So my mother-in-law to be is coming to Galway tomorrow. We get on ok but I'd like to treat her to something special, doesn't have to be expensive but a place we can talk and not be rushed out with a nice lunch. I'm torn between Vina Mara, Gourmet Tart or maybe the g special. What would ye say? I know there are places I know nothing of that I should really see!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Do you know, I went to that new place An Cupan Tae on the Spanish Arch yesterday with my Mum for lunch.

Not sure what to expect but assumed it would be something along the lines of that Sweetie Pies place..but no, it's really lovely and not at all pushy, or noisy with 'the clattering of plates and coffee machines' as some people (me) find upset a quiet lunch out.

They've avoided the whole 'cutesy/kitsch- cupcake feel' and gone for something much more elegant and ladylike...beautiful lace tablecloths, superlumps and all china cups and tea pots, and small touches like little poems and nice sayings stuck to the menus. Classical music was being played which added to the relaxing feel.

We had a baked potato with toppings each, but there was soup, sandwiches and scones/cakes etc. Place as bright, airy, didn't small of dinner (one of my pet hates!!) and we felt very welcome, and stayed ages. Came to Euro25 for two lunches, two coffees and two generous slices of coffee cake. I saw they do a High Tea thing with sandwiches, scones and treats as well

Just felt treated like royalty, so I would recommend it, even for tea and cake afterwards!! just an idea if ye want to get away from the hustle bustle and try somewhere that isn't trying too hard to be 'kitsch'.

EDIT: I have done the G thing with Mum as well, and wouldn't rate it that highly to be honest, but she may appreciate the whole four star hotel novelty, and their High Tea offer at lunch time. Might also be handy if you don't want to go into town.

Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

KFC, can't go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Cookes would be ideal

If you don't like her, bring her to Kettle Of Fish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Cupán sounds lovely, my Mam loved Árd Bía at Nimmos. If you book or get the snug it is lovely. Small menu but lovely grub and cake.

inisboffin wrote: »
    Cupán sounds lovely, my Mam loved Árd Bía at Nimmos. If you book or get the snug it is lovely. Small menu but lovely grub and cake.

True, Ard Bia is smashing; my folks were there during the week however, and had to ask twice for the music to be turned down..apparently it was very dancey and too loud that people couldn't talk comfortably. Normally we are fans of that place.

Oh, actually now I think of it, I found the Museum cafe lovely last week, went for a cuppa with some friends. Thy both got food, which was organic, healthy, sourced locally etc. They said it tasted great, and the lady serving us was really sweet and we thoroughly enjoyed our time there.

*ponder starting a blog in search of a the perfect cafe/lunch spot for all kinds of situations!*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

An Cupán Tae sounds perfect. Where is it? The museum is it? Thanks for all the replies.

It is right beside Cobwebs/The Townhouse Bar before you cross to the Spanish Arch. The Museum Cafe is in the museum itself, beside Nimmos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Aisan Tea House is a lovely spot as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Is that place new? An Cupán Tae? I love Asian Tea House, they do a fine meal really reasonably. I was in there recently and got free dessert, tis the little things!

Advertisement