Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions welcomed - 3yo Behaviour

Options
  • 31-12-2010 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi All

I'm at my wits end and would really welcome any opinions on my 3yo's behaviour. Basically she has a speech delay as she had Glue ear diagnosed at 18 moths and had Grommets fitted at 19 mths. But since then her speech hasn't really developed. I had concerns over her behaviour (very headstrong/frustrated etc ) which I mentioned to my Doc, he referred her to Early Childhood Intervention clinic but after 6 months of waiting I began to badger them with phone calls only to be told it didn't sound like she was a case for them and I should persue Speech and Language Therapy.

We attended a speech therapist in our local clinic who couldn't really get my daughter (by then 26 mths) to cooperate and when I mentioned her behaviour difficulties agreed a referral to a Child psychologist. We were then referred to another Speech therapist recently who said she didn't feel there was any underlying causes for the speech delay and dismissed things like Autism etc when I mentioned them saying her interpersonal skills did not reflect this type of problem. Her advice is to continue with speech and language therapy and is now refering her to a little group sessions.

I am still waiting the initial appointment with a Child Psychologist which her initial Speech Therapist referred her for and am at my wits end. The recent Christmas visit to my parents (4 hours away so we had to stay for few days) was so stressful - we had the usual eyes rolling and eventual admission that they thought our child was very spoiled and would need to take control over the matter. If I knew what to do I would but have completely exhausted all ideas.

The naughty step worked for a short time until she began putting herself on the step at the warning stage, she understands all instructions etc but seems to refuse to use any new speech. She plays well with other children - particularly older ones, but not particularly with toys. She loves to play at putting smaller objects into containers etc and could easily spend most of her day at the sink or water table. She has no problem indicating all her needs to us and is very affectionate to us and her little sister.

I would really appreciate any views, opinions, advice as I am literally at my wits end with this - not to mention my relationship with my own parents after their vocalisation of what their opinions are!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Hiya,

Could your daughter be very frustrated as her language skills are not letting her express herself, in the way she needs at 3 ? it could be exasperating the situation. I have attended speech and language with my eldest and we were taught how to work with him, as he was just two at the time, and it worked really well and he was discharged at 3, I would keep up the speech and ask for tips at home that you can try. Even out for a walk, you can use tips to help try expand the language and do it in a fun way, at that age kids have a very short attention span.;)

I would keep following up with the Psychologist, they will do a number of different tests, they will observe you and your daughter and may ever visit a playschool if she goes to one, if nothing else it will give you some sort of resolution. Like the speech clinic's ,the waiting lists can be very long, but once you get into the system, in my experience it has been very good .

Hope you get sorted soon, am sure its a worrying time for you.
    seabre wrote: »
    Hi All

I'm at my wits end and would really welcome any opinions on my 3yo's behaviour. Basically she has a speech delay as she had Glue ear diagnosed at 18 moths and had Grommets fitted at 19 mths. But since then her speech hasn't really developed. I had concerns over her behaviour (very headstrong/frustrated etc ) which I mentioned to my Doc, he referred her to Early Childhood Intervention clinic but after 6 months of waiting I began to badger them with phone calls only to be told it didn't sound like she was a case for them and I should persue Speech and Language Therapy.

We attended a speech therapist in our local clinic who couldn't really get my daughter (by then 26 mths) to cooperate and when I mentioned her behaviour difficulties agreed a referral to a Child psychologist. We were then referred to another Speech therapist recently who said she didn't feel there was any underlying causes for the speech delay and dismissed things like Autism etc when I mentioned them saying her interpersonal skills did not reflect this type of problem. Her advice is to continue with speech and language therapy and is now refering her to a little group sessions.

I am still waiting the initial appointment with a Child Psychologist which her initial Speech Therapist referred her for and am at my wits end. The recent Christmas visit to my parents (4 hours away so we had to stay for few days) was so stressful - we had the usual eyes rolling and eventual admission that they thought our child was very spoiled and would need to take control over the matter. If I knew what to do I would but have completely exhausted all ideas.

The naughty step worked for a short time until she began putting herself on the step at the warning stage, she understands all instructions etc but seems to refuse to use any new speech. She plays well with other children - particularly older ones, but not particularly with toys. She loves to play at putting smaller objects into containers etc and could easily spend most of her day at the sink or water table. She has no problem indicating all her needs to us and is very affectionate to us and her little sister.

I would really appreciate any views, opinions, advice as I am literally at my wits end with this - not to mention my relationship with my own parents after their vocalisation of what their opinions are!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My guy is the same BUT he is in the early intervention services and is receiving help

he has speech therapy
    early intervention educator 1 to 1 and group sessions
    he is wait listed for the psychologist (waiting nearly 2 years to see one)
    he has a pre school assistant for 2 days a week

They have question marked adhd but he is wait listed for a full asd assessment ( we dont think its an asd) He is not high priority for the asd assessment and has to see the psychologist first.

My boy turned 4 yesterday and he has been in the early intervention services for 2 years and still has no diagnosis, they are well aware he has 'issues' behavioural and speech difficulites, he has the speech of a 2 year old.

He is due for assessment again next year to see if he qualifies for a Special needs assistant at school.

my advice is go back to your phn and asked to be referred again to the early intervention services under the assessment of need 2005, say you want her assessed again and your not happy with the decision made you want a 2nd opinion. if you go through the assesment of need 2005 act she has to be seen with 6 months, if you go back to them yourself it could take longer.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭seabre

my advice is go back to your phn and asked to be referred again to the early intervention services under the assessment of need 2005, say you want her assessed again and your not happy with the decision made you want a 2nd opinion. if you go through the assesment of need 2005 act she has to be seen with 6 months, if you go back to them yourself it could take longer.

Good luck.

Thanks for this advice Grindelwald - I will go back and quote the assessment of need 2005 , very useful advice that I was not aware of. i called her Speech Therapy clinic this morn and they said that she should rec appointment for the group classes early Jan I asked about the pscychology referral also and they told me to call back on 4th Jan so I will make it my mission to hound them!!! lol. I think I will try to push to get her into a little playschool asap as I believe her behaviour there would tell a tale - sometimes when I see her interacting with other kids she really seems to be at her happiest - either way an opinion from an objective outsider would be so useful in itself! - Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

My little cousin didn't speak properly for AGES until he was like 4 but then I think he went to speech and language therapy and he was grand. He used to constantly be in fights and in trouble because he just got so frustrated with no-one being able to understand him.

Advertisement