Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Varnishing hardwoods in this weather

Options
  • 31-12-2010 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm currently varnishing some teak window board and oak 6x2s for a house I'm building. I have two coats of clear varnish on the oak and 1 on the Teak. The oak varnish is dry, but the weather changed from cold to this warmish wet condition and it has a lot of condensation on it. The teak was varnished in the damp weather and has still to dry.

Should I try and get another coat on the oak or should I leave it as it is so wet (wiping it down only gets rid of some of the moisture).

On an unrelated note, what timber would be most suitable for a mantle piece, I was advised oak could crack with the heat and that pine would be more suitable. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

leave it till its drier for the varnishing. or else bring it into some place reasonably warm. As for the mantle. any timber can crack over heat. i used oak in a couple and they worked ok. just make sure if your taking it from a rough lank that there are no hairlines and there is a nice lean grain at each end. then at least if it does crack it will only be slightly.

Advertisement