Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject choices for the Leaving?

• 31-12-2010 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I'm in TY and after Christmas I'll have to choose what subjects I want to do. I'll be doing (all honours) Irish, English, Maths, Biology, Chemisty, French and Accounting or Business. I want to do Medicine.
    I don't know which to do - Business or Accounting. I did Business for the Junior and got an A. I liked it but I loved doing the accounts (except ledgers and day books). It was my favourite part, I could do them all day. I love Maths and working with figures too. So then I thought I'd do Accounting after having decided to do Business. Business is just really learn it all off (correct me if I'm wrong with any of this). I've a good memory and learn fast so it wouldn't be a problem really. I have notes from the Institute, I may use them or I may not but I have them anyway so I could use those too.
    Now I am stuck with this dilemma of not knowing what to do. The Career Guidance teacher is new and is of no help at all. I don't know about Accounting because I hated the ledgers and never knew how to do them really and I suppose for me anyway, it's either a 'get it' or 'don't get it' on the day. I suppose it could go wrong or whatever. Then for business I could just learn it all off.
    Any suggestions? I also thought of Music.. I did it on my own last year and got an A and play 2 instruments (both grade 5 atm). Everyone says I should do it but I'm not sure about it. To me, it's sort of chance on the day. I came out of the JC thinking I hadn't done very well and I was sort of stressed about it. People say it's an easy A? Both teachers say I should do it and I'd be well able for it but I don't know.

I know this is long but I really don't know what to do. I don't think I would do an extra subject (or should I? I suppose I would be relying on A's in all except English) as it could be tiring. I just don't know what to do!

Thanks for any advice anyone has, it's all greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

This may not be helpful at all, but with regards to Accounting!

I did Accounting and LOVED it as a subject. However, it is one of the more difficult subjects that I did - it's fairly easy to understand, but it requires a lot of work. I spent more time doing accounts than working in my other subjects, but it requires that amount of work if you want to do well - it's extremely tight for timing! I got 97% in the mock (although disregard mock results, they're fairly useless at telling you how you're going to do in the LC) and an A1 in the actual Leaving Cert. But you'll find that having a lot of work isn't so bad, if it's something you like. I'd much rather face an hour and a half of accounting study than 20 minutes of Irish :o

However, a lot of it depends on the teacher you have. I was lucky that I had an excellent teacher - gave shockingly hefty amounts of homework but that's what you need in this subject!

With regards to the whole ledger thing. I didn't have a 'proper' teacher for most of 3rd year due to my Business teacher being off on maternity leave. I taught myself how to do Q1 (that was the Ledgers question), and was then able to do them - I was the only one in my class who answered that question. However, I actually taught myself wrong - I could answer the question fine, but I didn't understand what I was doing.

At the start of 5th year, this didn't matter though as my accounting teacher went through the basics by doing a whole ledger question (this isn't actually a question on the leaving cert on it's own, but there's ledgers involved somehow in nearly every question). Ledgers are not difficult at all once you get used to them. We had a rule, called the EARL rule (Expense, asset, revenue, liability) that immediately informed us which side (debit or credit) an entry should be on. After only a few weeks in accounting, double-entry bookkeeping becomes second nature!

I didn't do Business, but I heard that it contains a lot of learning off and the marking scheme can be annoyingly specific.

I hope this is some use! It's probably worth noting that most of my accounting class hated the subject, but I loved it! I'm in first year in UCD now, and I'll be starting accounting in January so I'll be able to see if there's much difference between LC Accounting and Uni Accounting :)

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

I cant comment on the Business/Accounting issue as I've no idea about either subject. However I'd strongly recommend doing Music. You seem to be a proficient musician and that will work in your favour. 50% of the marks go for the practical! And even if you dont do well in it, its not going to make a difference to the rest of your subjects. If you dont do the exam you dont have the opportunity to get the points on offer. If you're able to do it as an extra subject then definately do it! I wouldnt go as far as saying its an easy A. No subject is an easy A, they all require hard work. It will be easier to achieve a good grade in it than a more theory based subject like Chemistry or Biology though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 LaLaLand101

My Business (We do a bit of both) teacher now said that Accounting gets the most amount of A's and it's not too bad if you put in the work.
    There's 6 in the accounting class for 5th year this year, I suppose that would be good too because then there'd be more attention and it would be easier to ask questions (providing it's the same numbers).

I don't know if I'd be able to do an extra subject ie. Music. As well as costing a lot, I would worry that I'd be too tired. Some of my reasons for not doing it are that the teacher is absolutely terrible (I know you shouldn't blame a teacher but she changes moods in a split second, doesn't teach the class and is never in. Only one girl who did music in school got an A (I was the other one outside of school) and her dad is a music teacher, so I'd have to do it outside of school then.

Would there be much point trying to understand the ledgers this year and then trying to decide? I'm not sure if I still have my books though from last year. Roughly what do you do in each subject (Accounting and Business)?

Thanks for you replies.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I think you'd be time enough waiting until 5th year to get used to Ledgers. It's different from the JC - you don't actually have to go filling out daybooks and ledgers. Ledgers aren't used so much as double-entry bookkeeping, which is used everywhere, except perhaps the budget questions.

The format of most questions is quite different from what you are used to from the JC. Usually you are given information and figures, and you have to do calculations on these figures/information to come up with the actual figures to put in your account.

For example, in the Q1 (Trading, Profit and Loss, Balance Sheet), you are given a Trial Balance. Below this, a number of adjustments are given which you have to take into account. This question is the longest on the paper - you are allowed 50 minutes for it. The first 25 minutes or so will be spent just making workings to get the 'actual' figures. The last 25 minutes will be spent actually doing the accounts (this is where the marks are earned).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Accounting is more difficult than Business, but Business is probably the most tedious subject that there is for LC. I'd avoid it at all costs tbh, but I can't speak for Accounting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I got A1's in Business,Accounting and Economics and I'd advise you to do Business if you want to do well and Accounting if you want to get an A1 for medicine or some high point course. The cnuts at the SEC have started shaking things up a bit, and although this won't change much for Business it can be quite disastrous for Accounting, as everyone struggles to get the course finished and it's probably the biggest subject in LC for the oul' "ah sure leave that out it's not coming up". This worked up until last year when a lot of people got screwed over. However, if you're willing to put in all the work it's worth it.
    Still, Business is a lot less hassle until, admittedly, the last few weeks before the exams when it becomes a test of your ability to cram sh1te.

Also, if you like Music, go for it. And ignore your career guidance teacher they rarely ever know anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Accounting. If you can add, subtract, do percentages and remember a few vaguely similar layouts, you are sorted. It really is very, very easy if you are in any way numerate.

Business will kill your soul.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you can play an instrument and do anything at all on a PC (Sibelius), Music is a gimme at Higher Level for the Leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

One mistake I made last year was doing 7 honours subjects. Waste of time. This year I'm only doing 6 its much more efficient. I'd highly advise doing just 6 honour subjects.

Maths was my 7th subject in 2010 and i'd spend at least 5hrs a week on it coming up to the leaving cert. (since start of April) So that's around 50 hrs in total(10 weeks). If i did pass i wouldn't have opened a book and probably wouldn't still be looking up the LC forum :P I could have learnt so much in those 50 hours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

I'd choose Accounting! I was going to do it but then I rang the school the summer before 5th year and got changed to Business..

Biggest regret EVER!

Business is so tedious, grand if you have a memory brain and can recite definitions by heart etc. I'm the type that remembers things in my own words which isn't great for LC Business!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Hey! I'm in 5th year and was in the same situation as you last year so i'll try and help you out.

I chose to do Geography, French, Business, Music for my subjects last year. I then took Accounting outside of school with a teacher..

Music-- Is a lovely, lovely subject not only is 50% practical but it's also very enjoyable listening to classical theme music, it is also such a break from theory filled subjects.

Business-- Can be boring at times, but if your organised and looking for high points this is the way to go. My lowest so far has been 94% and we've covered 7/23 of the Chapters!

Accounting-- I'm sure many will disagree with me, but I HATED Accounting! In my opinion it was so difficult and overly complicated.. It makes me shudder to think about it I truly despised it!!

Now i'm after taking up Economics and it's a joy! 5th year is for finding out whether you like your subjects or not.. You can always change you know!

My final recommendation is that if you liked Geography for Junior Cert. try your best to take it for Leaving Cert. it's a lovely course but is quite long, got 98% in my Christmasw Exam! My favourite subject!

So if I were you I would take
    Biology, Chemistry, French & Music!

I would also drop one honours subject as there is a lot of work in HL Biology and Chemistry! Best of Luck!

(:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

I do all three of accounting, business & music!

Accounting; Is horrible & takes a long time,only take it if you are willing to spend hours a week button smashing the calculator only to get the wrong answer & be p****d off for the rest of the day!

Business; Is really easy ,20 mins 3 times a week is all it will take ,bothing really hard about it!

Music; Is good of you play an instrument nice & easy also gives a good break from the usual learning subjects!

Any of Music or Business is easy for points!
    Accounting if you want to have no life for 2 years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Definatly do music. It's a brilliant subject if you play an instrument and it's really good fun. It gives you a great break from your other subjects :) But I've been told its hard to get an A1 in :(
    I do business but I have got to say it is a tedious subject but to be honest I'm actually beginning to like it even though I have a crappy teacher. Some chapters can be a bit boring but others are grand. It would definatly be an easy A1 if you are good at rote learning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

A1's are hard enough to come by but I wouldnt say no to a B1 or B2 which are definately easily achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

Thanks for any advice anyone has, it's all greatly appreciated.

Are you absolutely sure you want to do medicine first of all? Because you don't want to limit yourself. Like if you like Maths you may want to consider Maths or Engineering?

You sound a lot like me - I love Maths and I was struggling between Accounting and Business. In the end I chose Business because I can learn stuff easily. But now in 6th Year I really really regret it. It's a useless subject - you don't need it for anything! Even Business degrees don't require it.

But also I from everyone I know who does Accounting they hate it (Don't go by this though - you might love it).

I would say do Music if you enjoy it because it's good to have one fun subject.

Also you said you love Maths so I would say do Applied Maths. I didn't do it but really regret it now because I want to be an engineer.

So do: Music and Applied Maths (you have to do this outside school in most cases).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I don't know which to do - Business or Accounting. I did Business for the Junior and got an A. I liked it but I loved doing the accounts (except ledgers and day books).

Now I am stuck with this dilemma of not knowing what to do. The Career Guidance teacher is new and is of no help at all. I don't know about Accounting because I hated the ledgers and never knew how to do them really and I suppose for me anyway, it's either a 'get it' or 'don't get it' on the day. I suppose it could go wrong or whatever. Then for business I could just learn it all off.

I did accountancy for LC and loved it, and I never once did a ledger or day book! :) You can avoid learning certain questions altogether but then I suppose its what your teacher decides to do.

If your reasoning for liking maths is because its more figuring things out and logic as opposed to learning things off and spewing them out on the page on the day, then you might like accountancy for the same reasons. I found maths and accountancy nearly like a break from studying the rest because of tedious theory and learning off...once you can learn methods and then give time to practising the accounts, its quite a nice subject imo.

Advertisement